Phil finally building the DF

Phil Winks

Thanks John, I agree nose heavy is better than the other way round, there lies a very twitchy model surprise it has two wing servo's the rudder and elevator and the elevator push rod to add plus wing covering and battery, all rearward of the LE, and currently it balances 5mm behind the LE, so like I said hopefully it'll be allright on the night

I've progressed the main wing a little further, the rigging mast is ready to fit, being as I'm making the rigging structural, to make up for the cut through the main spar to accommodate the fuel tank, I've gone for a tripod design using 3mm steel epoxied into hard points on the ply braces.

picture 051 df 2014.jpg

also the servo cables are run through to the plug in points aft of the fuel tank, this pic was taken just before I assembled the plugs

picture 054 df 2014.jpg

Also the wing servo mounts have been made, this is the 1st time I've used these slim wing servo's and they are so easy to fit, as you can see.

picture 052 df 2014.jpg

picture 053 df 2014.jpg

Since these photo's were taken I've made a start on covering the cockpit area and to be fair it's going easier than I expected, it does help that I made some wing rib templates so I have a guide when it comes to cutting in the top sheet to wing junction, Photo's of this area to follow

Only a little more progress, the wiring through the wing is installed and tested the two wing to Rx leads made up to suit and tested and the upper side of the wing complete, bar another coat of stain and two of gloss fuelproofer, and the windshield.

picture 056 df 2014.jpg

Then there's the fillets under the wing and the covering, followed by the rigging, control surfaces to hinge, control horns and linkages to fit, tail feathers to glue in place, rudder push rod to install and all the screws that fit into metal threads (servo's etc) to loctite, not a lot really frownand only 25 days to do it all and get her test flown, ooh heck this is going to be a close run thing frown

Edited By Phil Winks on 29/11/2014 21:47:23

No pics to post but progress is happening slowly, I have just realised though there is a burning question for any one watching who has an SC 30FS, in the process of fitting I had to remove the bottom end needle to reverse the servo arm and silly me forgot to record the setting blush does any one have one running who can tell me the approx setting, the instructions give the setting for the top end needle but no mention of the bottom end that I can find.

Posted by Phil Winks on 06/12/2014 21:19:14:
Posted by john stones 1 on 06/12/2014 21:16:49:

Woolly scarf Phil it's cold out, wheels look greatyes

John

Thanks John, good point about the scarf wonder if SWMBO will knit him one frown

Naaah, just get the scissors on one of her silk head scarves, she'll never notice honest...

Looks great even without it

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 06/12/2014 22:26:47:
Posted by Phil Winks on 06/12/2014 21:19:14:
Posted by john stones 1 on 06/12/2014 21:16:49:

Woolly scarf Phil it's cold out, wheels look greatyes

John

Thanks John, good point about the scarf wonder if SWMBO will knit him one frown

Naaah, just get the scissors on one of her silk head scarves, she'll never notice honest...

Looks great even without it

oooh you devil Dave you'll get me into trouble now where are the scissors devil

Just one more picture to show you all before the maiden flight, I'm just waiting for some loctite thread lock to work its way through the snail mail to ensure nothing vital shakes loose in flight then all she needs is the throws setting, battery fitting and tank filling and she'll be ready to commit aviation. Nicely the COG has come out within a couple of mm with no need for any ballast at all, quite a result given that she was designed for electric not IC also it balances the same with a full and empty tank.

Anyway the pic its just of the wing as by the time I get a chance to photograph it its way to dark outside and to bring it into the living room with a 15 week old Labrador puppy is tempting fate to say the least, however it does show the rigging arrangement and the windshield which adds the finishing touches she needed

picture 058 df 2014.jpg

The rigging is structural and those turn buckles give me 1/4" adjustment either side of centre so as the wire stretches, as it will slightly it can be still tightened back up, the flying wires are fitted in much the same way to the underside of the fuselage but with a 5mm bullet connector let into the undercarriage block much as someone else did, I forget who, but a cracking idea so thanks whoever you are.

Now I need a good day to coincide with some time of frown

One thing I will do before the maiden is a proper photographic/video walk round so all the little alterations I've made can be seen one more time before I have a bad arrival wink

Edited By Phil Winks on 10/12/2014 20:32:27