Bombardier Q400

The first nacelle is about as complete as it can be at this stage.

final test fit of the spinner and intake.

Intake with spinner

All the formers have large holes in them leading to the exhaust.

Exhaust

It always harder and rather boring to have to make the second one!

As I have no cross sections for the fuselage nose it will be a bit of a 'guess and hope' and probably some 'do it again' as well!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 30/08/2014 14:39:56

The nose section is built in a similar way. Half formers on top and bottom keels.

Half nose formers

As there is more bend and shape in each plank they are narrower than for the parallel fuselage section..

The half shell complete enough to lifted from the plan.

Half nose off plan

The windows are white simply to make it easier to check there are correctly aligned. Inserting flat panels into what is basically a complex double curved shape is not easy.

The jury strut to hold the half in shape.

Half nose inside

So far so good.

Have to start thinking about the much bigger fuselage tail cone section and to structurally integrate it with the substantial fin.

The nose goes on with just an initial sand and fill. The nacelles are in about their correct position.

Nose on

It actually fitted pretty well - thank goodness!

The rest of the fuselage will be sanded when the tail section goes on.

Final filling and sanding will have to wait until the first layer of paint shows up all the imperfections! wink 2

John

Yes but he put "Ian" on the bottom of that particular post. wink 2

I am proposing to decorate it in Flybe's new 'house' colour - purple!

Flybe

This acrylic seems about the right shade but as my Q400 is not intended to be at 'competition' detail it only has to give the right 'look'.

Purple acrylic

More important (to me at least) is that it flies well.

Progress always seems slow at this point in a build as it just seems to doing more of the same!

The fuselage tail section planked sufficiently to be lifted from the plan and a start made on the other half.

Fuselage tail 2nd half

The planking will be left off the top of this section of the fuselage to allow the fin to be fixed on - I just have to work out exactly how it will be done! wink 2

Not strictly related tot he build but this video is interesting. Note it taxies out to the runway using the starboard engine only and does the same after landing at Manchester.

Is it fuel saving? Or even at idle does it need brakes to keep the speed down? Or was there possibly a problem with the port engine? Or is it a safety feature as the front door is on the left so the prop is stationary in the event of an evacuation?

Not a problem for my Q400 as with no undercarriage t wont ever taxi anywhere! wink 2

Hi Simon,

Your first instinct was correct, the delayed engine start and single engine taxi after landing is all about fuel saving. As well as saving engine hours. The largest cost associated with running the aircraft is fuel, so we do anything we can to reduce it. The engines use around 3kg per minute each on the ground, so a couple of minutes before we go and a few after, for 8-10 flights a day 364 days a year for 40+ aircraft all adds up. It is common on jet aircaft as well, there just isn't the tell-tale sign of the props.

As you'd expect, we have backups on all hydraulic and electrical systems, so we have all services available with just one engine running, seems a waste to start both.

Rob

Hi Rob, Slightly off topic many years ago I was at a lecture by the Dunlop senior brake/tyre rep. B' Cal were in existence then and it was when the fuel crisis was on, and they were trying to save money. They had the big idea to save fuel and engine life by using heavy braking on touch down. OK that was okay but they were flying short sectors and when they arrived at the next stop off they had brakes (heat packs) that were singing hot and due to brake fade were ineffective at a short pull up so they thought we'll put the wheels down further out on the glideslope to cool them for the landing but had to apply a bit more throttle to overcome the drag. Of course there was the extra weight to cope with at high fuel load to do the stops. They eventually abandoned the exercise as the reverse thrust was more effective and cost less and didn't carry the inherent risks of tyres going 'PoP' and brakes catching fire while tucked away in their bays.

Rob

Thanks, I suspected that.

I know planes roll pretty freely but the asymmetric thrust must be giving the nose wheel a slightly harder time. I wonder if this reduces the tire life or is it already limited by the number of landings?

Progress is slow but at long last the fuselage is at its full lengthFull fuselage length

Actually not quite the full length as there is the exhaust cone for the APU to go on at the tail.

The missing planking is to allow the fin to be inserted into the structure of the fuselage.

Sorry to continue off topic.

Interesting stuff Roy. We have limits on the brake temperatures just for that case, so that we know they will bite when needed. Not so much after a short sector but in the case of a rejected takeoff. There are no brake temperature sensors on the dash, so if we have a high energy rejected takeoff for any reason, we have a time limit before we can attempt another takeoff to ensure the brakes have cooled enough. I used to fly the Embraer 195 and that has temperature sensors, i can't remember the exact numbers but we had to wait for them to be in the 'green' range before takeoff. I think it was something like below 230 degrees C.

I would expect there is slightly more scrubbing on the front tires with asymmetric thrust during taxi, but i guess someone has crunched the numbers and realised its cheaper to change the tires slightly earlier. The tires are all re-treads nowadays, and we are allowed to use them right down until bald.

Builds looking fantastic Simon. Can't wait to see the finished article.

Simon, A super job with a difficult material. If you are contemplating using light weight filler they have it in 'Wlkos' - type in 'Wilkos lightweight filler' on Google and it will get you there,600ml for £3.95 and it's the real deal.

Looks and smells the same as my 3 times the price and less than one third of the weight pot I already have. You may already know this, if you add a little water to the top of the pot it goes like dairy cream and becomes brushable and so easy to apply. Don't forget to put the polythene disc back when you replace the lid on or it ends up like toast breadcrumbs. Good luck, Roy.

Rob, I've traveled on dash 8s a a few times and noted the single engine taxi. I assumed this was to save fuel. I have never been able to remember which engine was shut down to taxi on the previous flight. Do you alternate to keep engine hours the same or always shut down the same one? Thanks. Mr B

Sorry to keep hijacking your build thread Simon embarrassed

Hi Mr B,

Its always the #1 (left hand) engine that is started second and shut down first. This is due to the arrangement of the systems and how the backups work. Although we could still have all systems with only #1 running, it makes more sense to have #2 running.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Having at last go my cascade nozzle Harrier rebuilt and flying back to the Q400.

The next big job is the fin.

Two problems. As a T tail it has to be rigid enough to carry the tail plane and it is a long way back so weight would be an issue.

I decided to resurrect my balsa/Depron//balsa 'flush to surface' I beam spar construction.

Fin spar detail

A start on the fin. The fin spar goes right through the fuselage.

Fin start

A bit tricky being a symmetrical section. The only flat parts are the spar flanges. wink 2