Bombardier Q400

Advert

Colin

After filling the most obvious imperfections with light weight filler the only preparation will be a light coat of white emulsion although once it dries it doesn't half show up all the surface imperfections! smile o

Primarily to cover the grey Depron but when well brushed in emulsion also fills any of the sanded surfaces.

I am very concious of the weight so I hope the purple acrylic will only need one coat.

At the moment all the bits (including the batteries) weigh 29 oz. I would like to keep below 30oz (850g) ready to go. wink 2

As a comparison my Cessna O-2 Skymaster uses the same motors has 15% more wing area but only weighs 23oz. The Q400 will obviously fly rather faster but then the O-2 when flown at a club scale day was slower than even the lightest WWII biplanes! smile.

Slowly moving on. The RH  engine nacelle glued on & that is all that hold in place!

RH Nacelles glued on

Now I have to finish the left hand one!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 08/11/2014 12:34:34

Thanks for that Simon. Although the wing is small, it looks as if it's well covered by air-flow from the props and perhaps it's a feature of the clearly very efficient full size wing. I wonder if that will make much difference in trim between power on and off? You've certainly chosen an interesting subject, but you always do. I'm fascinated, as usual. Love this sort of stuff.

As alway the finishing bits seem to take a long time.

First the APU cone at the back.

APU tail cone

A rather complex shape - a curved off set cone but being so far back it had to be kept as light as possible.

The first coat of white on the fuselage.

1st coat white

Very thin and well brushed in both to save weight and to highlight any surface defects, which it does very well!

The wiring to the Rx completed.

All radio wires

At the moment the two batteries are independent but this does leave the possibility of asymmetric thrust if one ESC drops to LVC and the other doesn't.

The second coat of white goes on with a bit of filling and a light sand in between..

2nd coat white

To save weight I am not trying for a perfect 'solid' white finish except at the rear around the fin which will be white but simply as an undercoat for the purple.

The engine nacelles will have to be done the same.

I normally maiden before 'decorating' but in this case my confidence of a damage free first flight is not great and as it will be hard to achieve the same level of finish on any repair I want it to look nice even if it is only once! wink 2

Simon

As it has no windows I am only paying tribute to the Flybe colour scheme. The purple acrylic paint does give a hard wearing semi gloss finish but it is also rather heavy so it will be limited to just the fuselage and engine nacelles. The wings will be white.

Purple fuselage

In artificial light the digital camera struggles to show the correct shade of purple but it shows the idea..

Apart from how exactly to fit the batteries the final as yet unsolved problem is how to launch it?smile o

The fuselage is too big a diameter (and slippery) to hold in one hand.

The best solution I can see is to move the under fuselage strakes forward to about the CofG and beef them up act as finger holds.

UnderstrakesThey would also act a sacrificial skids on landing. wink 2

The batteries are installed in the lower part of each nacelle under the ESC.

Battery hatch

The battery is inserted from underneath and pushed well forward into the nacelle so the hatch itself carries no load.

The hatch will be front hinged and secured with magnets.

With the batteries in and the RC fully tested the last of the wing skin can go on completely 'bottling up' the electrics!

Wing skin complete

The wing and nacelles can now be painted.

Almost finished!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 20/11/2014 16:07:43

Simon,

As a beginner, I would like to ask a question about the ESC placement in your plane if I may. Do they need an airflow over them to keep them cool? I was thinking about this, as my first and only plane so far (Parkzone Radian glider) has it's ESC in a vented area which I believe is to keep it cool. Following your fantastic build from the start, I was not sure how you kept your ESC's cool or indeed if this is actually necessary.

Simon

As a general rule the ESCs do need positive cooling.

On my Q400 I have made use of the turbo prop air intake and each of the formers have big holes in them right the way to the turbine exhaust at the back of the nacelle.

This view looking directly into the air intake shows the battery on the 'floor' of the nacelle with the ESC a bit above it.

Battery and ESC

The ESC is mounted with its heat sink face down and the shrink wrap has been cut away a bit to improve the heat transfer.

Hopefully this arrangement will ensure an adequate airflow over the ESC.

Hi Simon, I've just read through your build blog tonight well done mate a really great build.

I was wondering how you was going to build and attach the wings, I am really impressed the way you approached this. A great learning curve for me. I really enjoy the depron builds you have got to be pleased with that mate.

i am sure it will fly a treat.

keep up the good work

regards Roy

Thanks Roy - much appreciated.

As my digital camera under artificial light struggles to show the purple I thought I would try outdoors this morning - but not much better - it still makes the purple very blue.

Upping the red and green and reducing the blue in my graphics package gives a more realistic colour.Paint 3 (outdoors)

Given its limited wing area and almost zero crash tolerance I will really have to 'steel' myself to attempt to fly it. smile o

With 2x1500mAh 3s it weighs exactly 30oz (850g) which is what I had aimed for. smile

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 24/11/2014 15:41:30