Bombardier Q400

A start on the tailplane - compared to the fuselage it is tiny!

Tailplane start

Built like the fin with its 1mm balsa spar flanges flush with the wing surface.

The Q400 has a distinct 'upside down' wing section tailplane.

Tailplane section It even looks to be an under cambered! so the tailplane is being built using a conventional Eppler section but will simply be installed upside down!. wink 2

The elevator servo will hopefully be completely hidden in the big root fairing.

Its only resting on the top of the fin but it does give an idea of how small the tailplane is compared to the fuselage.

Tailplane on fin

The wings and of course the ailerons are relatively just as small.

Although it should have plenty of thrust to climb away easily from a hand launch but with exactly how much control is anybodies guess. wink 2

Slow progress at the moment as house decorating has taken priority.

The elevators added with a joining tube and the servo installed and tested.

Elevator servo

This is the underside .The horns will be completely hidden within the prominent tailplane/fin fairing.

To reach the radio in the wing the servo extension lead needs to be over 1000mm long.

A bit further -,the rudder servo installed.

Rudder servo

And the front half of the fin/tailplane fairing.

Fin fairing front

Fiddly to fit as it has to be carefully cut to fit both the fin and the tailplane at the same time. The longer rear half will probably be even worse. wink 2

The next big task is to design and build the wing or rather its centre section as with the engine nacelles the wing will comprise nearly 75% of the planes weight. No problem when flying but any landing shocks will create a substantial downwards bending moment on it.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 18/10/2014 00:43:50

This is where I really start to worry about the all up weight. The wing plan!Wing plan

The wing span is quite a bit less than the length of the fuselage and its chord even at the root is no more than its diameter! smile o

At the moment it looks like it will weigh no more than 30oz (850g) so even with that 'skinny' wing the loading will be relatively modest at 14oz/sqft.

I could use scale area increasing flaps but it would require 4 more servos to do and add quite a bit of weight and complexity a penalty which I fear would negate any benefits.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 21/10/2014 15:30:33

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 21/10/2014 15:31:16

A start on the centre section. It has to be of relatively massive construction as it carried the engine nacelles each of which with its batteries will weigh as much as the complete fuselage.

So a big full depth balsa/Depron/balsa box spar.Box spar construction

3mm hard balsa top & bottom flange with 6 mm Depron shear webs.

The box has 3mm Depron diaphragms placed along its length for internal support.

Box Spar Diaphragms

The complete box is rigid enough to simply build the leading and trailing parts of the wing directly off its front and rear surfaces.

Centre section 1

The ribs and wing skins are 3mm Depron.

Centre section 2

The balsa flanges of the box spar are thick enough to be sanded to generate a smooth wing profile.

Centre section section

The rear top skin is left off to give access to install the radio which will be built into the wing centre section. In this way only 'servo' wires from the radio have to be contained within the wing structure itself.

The outer panels are tapered 2:1 in chord and over 3:1 in depth (the wing section is much thinner at the tip)

Outer ribs sections

The rib master pattern cut out to allow for the 2mm Depron skin.

Outer rib patterns

The outer panels only carry aerodynamic loads so can be of a lighter construction using a simple "I" beam but as before with the flanges flush with the wing surface.

Spar insert in wing skin

The lower skin is 'hand formed' to approximately the correct profile and placed over leading and trailing supports strips to match the lower wing section.

L & T edge supports

The ribs and the individual shear web are simply glued in, starting at the root. A process best not hurried. One advantage of POR is it is sticky enough to hold things in place but remains flexible for long enough to allow plenty of 'eyeball' adjustment to make sure things remain straight and true.

The aileron servo in place.

Aileron servo

The wing is just thick enough at this point to completely bury the servo. The wing is then left weighted down on the supports for 12 hours for the glue to harden.

The top skin then goes on in one piece and a 6mm Depron leading edge completes the outer wing panel.

Top skin complete

The full size ailerons are tiny so although mine are scale in span I have increased the chord by 20%. They are top tape hinged and the servo horns are set to give significant 'mechanical' differential. This means that the full 50% of servo travel only has to move the 'down' aileron through a small angle and thus has about 5 times the mechanical advantage. Despite its low torque the 'down' servo is very unlikely to 'stall' against even extreme aerodynamic loads. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 29/10/2014 11:30:00

With both outer panels added and just balanced on top of the fuselage it does give an idea of just how relatively small the wing is.

What wing?

At 61" it would not look out of place on a small glider! smile o

Even though it may be light I don't think it will exactly be a 'floater' wink 2

It looks like it will weigh about 28oz (800g) all up.

Colin

At 18% at the root it is remarkably thick for what is a 400mph plane but then I suppose it has to support two huge turbo props as well.

It is actually very similar to that of a modern glider 'low drag' section with its maximum thickness well aft and slight under camber towards the trailing edge .

The only problem is this type of section doesn't perform anything like the same at small sizes but if I am right it will have more than enough thrust to make up for it! wink 2

Almost a bit of chicken and egg situation now.

Without the battery each nacelle is significantly nose heavy.

Nacelle CofG

The pen represents the likely airframe CofG.

The fuselage and tail on the other hand is significantly tail heavy so they might cancel out but I wont know for sure until the nacelles have been fixed to the wing and the wing mounted on the fuselage.

The battery position could be used to make up any adjustment required but it would be much easier to make up the nacelle battery box and hatch before they are fixed in place. wink 2

Colin that is more of less what I intend to do.

Making up the removable wing to fuselage joint will be much easier without the relatively heavy nacelles fitted. Once the joint is complete the nacelles will have to be fitted and the battery position determined - which hopefully will be within the available space within the nacelle! wink 2

The tricky part is then cutting open the underside of the nacelles. building the battery boxes and soldering on the connectors with the wing and nacelles assembled all in one piece.

A start on the wing mount.

Wing mount start

The wing will be held down by 4 nylon bolts.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 03/11/2014 18:01:30

The thick wing of the Typhoon was recognised as limiting its top speed quite early on. 412 mph at optimum altitude from 2200 hp was not particularly spectacular.

The Tempest V wing was 14.5% at the root and with the same Sabre IIB engine achieved 435 mph with the benefit of a rather higher limiting mach number.

The wing mount progresses with the front part of the fairing completed.

Wing mount front.jpg

The rear fairing is similar but with a shallower form.

The wing rear fairing was giving me some trouble. On the pictures of the fuselage it was clearly quite big but with the trailing edge of the wing flush with the top of the fuselage it didn't appear to need to be.

Eventually found a rear view that showed why the fairing is so big - the rear of the wing is 'built up' a bit.

Rear view

So next is the dorsal spine. It is hollow to carry the elevator and rudder servo wires.

Dorsal spine

The servo wires can just squeeze under the rear wing fairing and pass into the saddle area.

Tail Servo wires

There is plenty of space for them to be plugged into flying leads from the radio yet be completely hidden when the wing is bolted on.

At last I think I can now see how everything will fit together but there is still quite a bit of work to do.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 05/11/2014 16:54:11

This is a lightweight build and there only limited space inside the wing so it seems sensible to use a lightweight radio - a Lemon DSM2 6ch Featherweight.

Lemon featherweight Rx

A bit 'overkill' at just 2.7g but they are also very cheap - just under £10 delivered - for two!! smile p

Claimed to be full range. We shall see. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 06/11/2014 19:59:06

The wing hold down bolts.

Wing bolts recessed

Each bolt bears down on an end grain balsa pad glued to the spar shear web. This being the strongest part of the wing as the front and back sections are just Depron structures.

The bolts screw into a threaded 2mm Perspex plate buried within the wing saddle.

Wing nuts

Seems to work well enough. With the flight batteries in each engine nacelle the wing bolts will only have to be removed for transport.