Bombardier Q400

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit i don't know too much about this yet, wasn't at work last night or today.

From what i have read, it seems passengers were saying there were popping sounds and sparks and flames coming from the back of the engine. I'm assuming it was surging, a compressor fault or such.

All in all sounds like it was well handled by the crew. Once the fire is out, it is a non event. The Dash flies perfectly well on one engine.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I must say it came as a surprise to me just how well it flies. It always had the power but so far it has shown to be remarkably easy to control.

I did think about putting the motors on separate channels so it could 'fly on one' but decided against it.

At the moment it has been laid up (actually hanging on the wall) for the winter.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at it on the wall all through the winter I eventually decided to increase both the span and chord of those tiny scale ailerons by about 20%.to improve the roll control. After all as a park flyer I am flying in a space that would be like keeping the full size within the airfield boundary!

One advantage of tape top hinges is that they are easy to remove - you just peel the tape off!

Being all Depron it is a relatively easy job to simply cut back to the size of the bigger aileron.

Big aileron cut out

A bit of Depron 'in fill' pieces are required between the the ribs and a new aileron made.

It can then be simply taped back in place.

Big aileron A new horn and servo link are required but then it is ready to go.

Still pretty docile in roll but it does have enough authority to give some confidence.
Any aerobatics will have to wait!

• 6 months later...

My Q400 has had an interesting summer.

At the Ashbourne scale day it suffered from what I believe is the limitation of DSM2 in a busy 2.4 environment - you loose control! This is the third time this has happened on 3 different planes on 3 different occasions but they all perform flawlessly at my own 'RC quiet' field.

The resulting entirely fortuitous 'fail safe' landing on a rubble strewn disused runway punctured the fuselage in many places and cracked the wing spar at the root.

Fuselage holes 1

Fuselage holes 2

Fuselage holes 3

One advantage of a Depron stressed skin structure is it simple to just square up the hole and glue in a new piece of skin.

Fuselage repaired

The wing spar needed more thought. The wing was completely detached so was glued back with foam safe CA.

Wing spar cracked

This would provide all the necessary torsional strength but clearly not adequate for the thin balsa spar flanges that are actually flush with the wing surface.

A local light sand in the area of the break and the spar was then patched with glass tow and ployester resin.

Glass tow

Care needed as Polyester resin attacks Depron but when sanded and filled it is virtually invisible.

Wing repaired1

And the story does not end quite there.

Yesterday's maiden after the repairs had no problems except for the landing. Despite being fairly gentle the port nacelle broke in two!

November 3 nacelle split

Examination suggested a glue joint had separated just ahead of the wing. Was this hidden damage as a result of the previous much harder crash? Those motors are cantilevered out along way in front of the wing.

Easily fixed so another test flight this morning to convince myself the wing spare repair has adequate strength. enough.

Good enough! wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 04/11/2015 15:26:16

Hi Simon

It's a tight loop too, did I hear the depron creaking over the sound of the motorswink.

The model looks so realistic in flight, quite an achievement to get it to fly that slowly on those skinny wingsyes.

Are you still using DSM2 ?

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 04/11/2015 20:01:50

Nice too see it back in the Air Simon thumbs up.

Their has been a fair few problems at are field with DSM2 , some think that the Radio Controlled golf carts are the cause . as the problem only seems to be on take off or landing when flying over the near by golf course.

And some have now changed their radio sets, due to so many downed models.

Steve

Ron

Yes the Q400 still uses DSM2 (as do about half my planes) and I have no problem with it as I am a lone flyer most of the time.

The loop pull out was actually unnecessarily tight but I wanted to be absolutely sure it would pull out as it was rather low for the benefit of the camera. In fact it virtually stalled!

Now I have a better idea of its performance I should be able to get it do a better shape loop (and lower!)

I shall have to invest in some DSMX receivers. wink 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon,

Have been looking a long time on this project.

Some years ago my wife and me were flying from Exeter to Salzburg in that fly be 400 arriving very late for Christmas eve, after having changed the plane 2 times. So we tried out 3 different Dash 8. Only minor technical problems? Anyway! Living near Salzburg, these planes fly over my house at least 3 times a day. Mainly Air Berlin.

So I decided now it is time to build one. It is definitely a must have.

Regards, Franz

Burghausen, Bavaria