Westland Whirlwind Laser Kit

Advert

OK a 2nd show of interest in a 1/4 scaler, right, when I have moved house (friday) and set up the workshop again I will sit down and produce some smaller and bigger versions of this one.

The same thing is happening with the Mozzie, I started at 81" the same as Brian Taylors, and scaling one up to 106" 1/6th scale, now I have also had requests for a 120" and a 1/4 scale for that

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 30/07/2014 18:33:05:

I would love to see a smaller electric version. Big enough for retracts (including tail wheel) but not so big that it needs anything larger than a pair of 4S lipos. Such an iconic airplane deserves to be represented in the RC world!

DITTO

andy

Posted by lightning 759 on 31/07/2014 06:00:52:
Posted by David Pearce 4 on 30/07/2014 18:33:05:

I would love to see a smaller electric version. Big enough for retracts (including tail wheel) but not so big that it needs anything larger than a pair of 4S lipos. Such an iconic airplane deserves to be represented in the RC world!

DITTO

andy

That would probably suite my needs (and pocket) a bit better too.

David's comment about the cg is worth considering. My 70" Welkin is proportionally very similar to its' Whirlwind smaller brother and with the short nose it's proved difficult to get the cg right. The answer is to use two Lipos and put one in each nacelle, well forward. That's on my list of things to do. The smaller 58" version I built several years ago and passed on to Dave Chinnery turned out ok because of the heavy 600 can motors, but with lighter brushless motors it's an issue.

I imagine that it will be less of a problem with i/c engines, particularly if a chunky four stroke is chosen. The key is to get weight into the front end of the nacelles, because the nose is too short and well behind the spinners.

Percy, Vance's build has been continued on by other members of RCS, mainly by Warbird Colors owner Chuck and who also has taken over Vanguard plans and kits. Vance and I spoke a few times and I obtained an orig. plan of the W.W., but what was fesible then (3mts ) is now not, a great loss, was the passing of a master builder

In regards to the C/G , if the rear is kept really, really light, with I.C installed, is not a problem,as with the 2 I have built and flown sucessfully.1 still sits quietly waiting.(as per avatar) My pilot was , on an engine quit, suprised that there was no noticable flight narsties, and landed as per normal

I envisage the next one will be E.P, and the 2 lipo's crammed into the nose, well forward

Barry

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 01/08/2014 18:45:14:

David's comment about the cg is worth considering. . . . The answer is to use two Lipos and put one in each nacelle, well forward. That's on my list of things to do.

Dylan/Colin
I was just wondering, with the lipos in the nacelles as per Colin's suggestion, what kind of size would be the minimum before there wasn't any room to fit retracts?

David

David, I couldn't answer your question directly, but I think that because the nacelles are so wide in diameter and project well in front of the wing, that you should be able to fit in any likely Lipos without compromising the retracts.

Dylan's CAD peojections should reveal all. A.A. Barry's observations about keeping the back end light can't be argued with, but with brushless motors the cg might still be an issue. There's only one way to find out.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 04/08/2014 15:33:13:

David, I couldn't answer your question directly, but I think that because the nacelles are so wide in diameter and project well in front of the wing, that you should be able to fit in any likely Lipos without compromising the retracts.

Dylan's CAD peojections should reveal all. A.A. Barry's observations about keeping the back end light can't be argued with, but with brushless motors the cg might still be an issue. There's only one way to find out.

Thanks Colin. Although this would be a big project for me, a Whirlwind is too good to resist. Here's hoping a smaller version than 96 inch goes ahead.

• 4 weeks later...