Problem with FRSKY D8R-II

leccyflyer

Got a problem that has me stumped and I must just be missing something obvious.

My Ripmax Spitfire has a FrSKY D8R-II that I've been flying the mode with all this season with no issues. Came to fly her today and there was no control response at all. The RX just beeps with the red led flashing away. Thinking that it must have lost it's binding, I tried rebinding the RX but with no joy.

On getting home , have gone through the binding sequence again, with the instructions in front of me and it just won't work.

In between I've flown my Easyglider-equipped with a V8R7-II with no problem and checked the controls on my Speedo - no problem, equipped with a V8R4-II. All of these receivers, including the D8R_II are being used in v8 (non-telemetry) mode.

What am I missing - the model flew fine before and I hadn't changed anything.

Advert

Hi Leccy. You dont say which tx you're using but if the receivers are in V8 mode I'm guessing its a Frsky module rather than a Taranis. Since it was working then wasnt, I'd be looking at the 1way/2way switch on the module - is it set wrongly, or if its a DIY module has the switch come unplugged, has the switch failed? any of these can be proven by binding a 2way rx since the switch is open circuit in 2way mode. It would be very unlikely that the rx has forgotten the tx guid (ie become 'unbound' )

Another thing that seems to affect some but not others is proximity of the tx & rx - have you tried a bit of separation?

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 01/08/2014 21:08:32

Hi Phil - I was hoping that you'd see this, thanks

It's a plug in module in a FF9 and it was working fine before, and continues to work correctly with another couple of models, as described. I've tried the dip switches in both V8 non telemetry mode and telemetry mode but with no joy. All of the attempts were with the TX within about 2m of the RX.

I'll try binding a spare 2-way receiver and see if that works-that would eliminate one possibility.

Okay, here's the results of the test with the spare D8R-II rx.

Binding in 2-way mode works fine -DIP switches on TX set with Sw1-off Sw-2 Off - solid green led and flashing red led on module, plus beeping. Power on RX with bind button depressed - solid red and green led on rx. Switch off both - switch back on, solid red on RX and servo works fine.

Tried to bind in V8 mode - TX dip switch #1off Sw-2 ON - flashing red led on TX module, no beeping.

Power on to RX whilst holding bind button - solid red and green LED on RX. Switch off Rx and TX.

Switch back on both - solid red and flashing orange on TX module - flashing red LED on RX and no communication or control.

I must be missing something obvious here?

The D8R-II manual says (Ensure that both switches on the transmitter module are OFF when using D8R-II in two way mode) - to me that suggests that it could be used in both modes, but again, not explicitly stated.

I've just checked my records and it looks as though I haven't used the models with the D8R-II and the V8&-II in the same flying session, until yesterday. I don't recall having to switch the switch marked switch between sessions, but I must have done so if the D8R-II won't work in V8 mode.

Leccy,
I've got a D8R-11 plus that's not being used at the moment & a D8R (V2) in my Magnattila. The instructions for both of these only list DFT,DJt,DHT & DHT-U as being compatable - no mention of V8 mode. I'll check them out with a V8 mode Tx later today.

That's right Pat -problem solved - the DR8-II does not work in V8 mode - it now works perfectly in telemetry mode and I had inadvertently just had the dip switches set incorrectly.

I'm now looking at a long term solution which does not involve having models with the different modes on the same transmitter.

I've ditched my V8R and V4R receivers except the -IIs which are D-mode compatible as I was never very keen on the DIP switches - not that they ever caused a problem in use, just a bad idea. Now I can swap models between Taranis and FF9 as needed, though it's mostly a case of moving them onto the T.

I now have half a dozen assorted V series receivers to dispose of.

Posted by leccyflyer on 03/08/2014 10:08:25:

Aaaah, well I have a dozen V8FR-IIs and V8R4-IIs and only a couple of the DR8-IIs - does the Taranis not support the VR receivers?

It will support the V8xx-II receivers but not the original V8xx.

Here's the supported products from FrSky's site.

I've converted my MPX Cockpit SX to be able to switch between 2.4gig & 35meg using a DHT hack module.
It's a flexible arrangement as any of the 35meg spots can be selected without messing about with Xtl changes but I leave the 2.4gig permanently on V8 mode. I now use it with legacy V8 & a few 35meg receivers in vintage & indoor models.

All other receivers are on the Taranis

Edited By PatMc on 03/08/2014 11:40:50

Edited By PatMc on 03/08/2014 11:42:00