Upgrading to digital access

simon burch

Found out today that I can no longer access digital issues. I genuinely don't remember reading about this, but I'm very disappointed that after paying another 12 quid or so to access something which was previously free, I've got to wait till the 22nd to see the digital editions. I'm off on holiday next week, and as a subscriber for a number of years, I'm not impressed.

Amazing that it took less than a day to switch it off, but nearly 3 weeks to turn it back on. I don't tend to keep the old magazines, and as I'm in the middle of an RCM&e build at the moment, not being able to see the issue is another pain.

Very poor.

Simon

Advert

Hmm! I also upgraded today by telephone. I wasn't allowed the opportunity to pay for the upgrade but had my renew date shortened by 3 issues, which is near enough the equivalent amount. I was told that the change had been made as we spoke and that I'd be able to access in a couple of hours. That was some three hours ago and after reading your post I tried and guess what, no luck.

I'll try again tomorrow. I do keep my old magazines for quite some time, so if you want to PM me with the issue and what pages you need, I'll photocopy and send to you.

Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for the offer, but as I'm off on holiday I will just leave it till I get back. My annoyance was being told that they had to wait till the new direct debit was in place.......almost like I would not pay yet I've been subscribing for years.

I just don't see the problem, I'm sure it's just a tick in a box somewhere and I would have my access back within hours.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding my subscription : nnnnnnnnn

I have had my digital subscription access removed from my subscription and had no communication from you to explain this or any offer of an option, one of which might have been cancelling the subscription!

Your company and I entered into an agreement for a continuous direct debit comprised of print and digital copies, an arrangement that has been in-place for a number of years.

You have now unilaterally broken what I consider to be a contracted agreement and at this years renewal, which you chose to invoke without seeking my approval therefore remained in accordance with my existing contract Terms and Conditions, that means it is inclusive of both the print and digital editions.

Please re-instate my digital edition option that is already included in my existing subscription amount with immediate effect, noting you are in-breach of the arrangement the two parties (you and me) made at the subscription inception.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I've just sent, I will be interested in their response, I suspect most of us enjoyed the dual subscription , that has now been downgraded to print only. This is tantamount to breach of contract. I was never asked to downgrade my subscription, it's all a bit naive on behalf of the publishers - we have terms and conditions too, my includes use of the digital versions that I previously had access to.

David,

I would appreciate if you would PM me when you have a response. My subscription was prepaid until October 2015 and like you I believed that I would continue to have digital access until the end of that contract. My access was also removed and when I phoned subscriptions from Australia and asked for the opportunity to cancel the subscription in view of the loss of access, I was refused and told that the only alternative was to shorten the subscription by three issues in order to pay for continued digital access. What's more, having acquiesced and allowed the woman I spoke to to make the change, on assurance that it would be effected immediately, I then had to wait for a week and after a letter to subscriptions, finally had access restored yesterday.

While my appreciation of RCM&E remains high, my opinion of the publishers, MyTime Media has zeroed. They are either as you suggest extremely naive, or money grabbing opportunists..

yes-as above from me also...I'm also put out by the fact that as a subscriber(I could) access the archive's.....but now I have to pay more dosh to do what I could do previous.....I wasn't impressed with the 'free gift' saga last time around and then this........ I may reconsider my hard earned going somewhere else.....money grabber's has also been mentioned.....

ken Anderson...ne...1... not happy dept.

OK, it seems I'm in the same boat...

I've been chucking out old copies of the magazine safe in the knowledge that I can use the digital archive to find old stuff if I need it, but now that's gone. Am I annoyed by this? What do you think!

So to get the archive back, it seems I need to upgrade (pay more money) to the Print + Digital subscription. I'd been thinking of ditching the Printed copy and switching to the Digital subscription. But apparently the Digital subscription won't let me see the Digital Archive! I have to have the printed copy as well... That can't be right, can it? Seems crazy to me. thinking

Time to reconsider my options I think. I've had a subscription for years, decades perhaps. But beginning to feel it's time for a move now if this is how our loyalty is rewarded. dont know

I have just been reading the MyTimeMedia T&C's and those (most) of us do indeed have a contract with MyTimeMedia and we do have terms and conditions ourselves, one of ours is the delivery of Print and Digital editions because when we entered into this contract and many I suspect a good number of years ago, those were the goods and services supplied in exchange for the payment.

What cannot be done in Contract (English) Law is for MyTimeMedia to remove a service and they have done so for existing customers; new customers onwards, that's OK. They have made a fundamental (school boy) error here.

Please like my fellow modellers above, post your opinions here, let's get this resolved.

Shall be writing to them soon to demand my contractual rights; that is access to digital editions.

I have no complaint of the RCM&E staff, this is with the Publisher and feel like others that my loyalty has been rewarded with this heavy handed ill-conceived change of policy that is if nothing else breaking the law - even their so-called Terms and Conditions does not allow for a change in service.

LETS NOT FORGET WE HAVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS TOO.

Hmm, maybe the Digital subscription does give access to the Archive...

It seems to according to this page, but then the wording elsewhere strongly "suggested" that I needed to switch to a Print+Digital subscription. Can anyone confirm the official position? I don't want to switch to a Digital subscription just to find the archive access removed again!

Well I used to have Print+Digital that's what I paid for, now unilaterally that's been changed to Print only, but I was not advised of this in writing or given an option. You will find they have converted most of us existing customers to Print only.

I have just spoken to MyTimeMedia and I heard from them "I think we are in breach of contract" so that's an admission (correct) that they have got it wrong. Someone will be calling me on Monday from MyTImeMedia.

I was also told I had been written to advise me that the T&C had been changed, well not me.

AT this rate, I'd rather buy one subscription a year and get the free gift each time than have a running agreement or buy the magazine on an as-required basis.

Right, sorted!

I've just spoken to a very helpful chap at TimeMedia. It seems that my quartlerly direct debit for Print-only has just gone through, so I get that until December.

But I've now opened a new Digital-only subscription that - I'm assured - will give access to the digital archive. Normally £36 for the year (same as I was paying annually by quarterly d/d for print only) he has somehow (don't ask how!) got it down to £19.99 a year.

As long as it stays that way I'm happy!

My digital access has also been removed even though I have had it for a number of years ,no message sent by RCM&E advising of change.A typical example of the arbitrary actions of modern day suppliers.Do they really want our business?I always saved my mags but like others stppped doing so when the archive facility was provided.David,like you,no one has written,e-mailed or telephoned to say my contract has been changed.I want my digital back on it`s original terms,this is not the only magazine available and despite what they say not necessarily the best!

For you and me and many others, MyTimeMedia have put themselves in breach of contract. When we took out our subscription there was and still is an implied and actual access to the digital editions.

If we keep the subscription then those terms and conditions remain, but if we taking it up today then the new terms apply.

I'll keep you posted on my progress on this, I wonder if this posting(s) will be removed!

David - why should your posting be removed? Are you in breech of the CoC? Have you transgressed the Terms and Conditions of this website? I don't think so.

To be honest I get a little bored of comments like that. As we say, seemingly ad nauseam, we only remove posts that break the rules. This sort of comment is insulting to the moderators frankly. If you have so little faith in the integrity of the moderating team on here maybe you would happier elsewhere?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/08/2014 10:43:03

Hi BEB,

My view of the forum and the way it's operated are that it achieves superlative levels of control and moderation (and RCM&E), what I said was more aimed at MyTimeMedia and (of course) thoughts and expressions and nuances don't come over that well in this digital form. Please accept my apologies as I said, my personal issue is with the publisher who I thought perhaps mistakenly had editorial control over the Forum.

i am rather surprised by your response (comes over as very hostile and angry) to my rather small and somewhat innocuous mention that MyTimeMedia might be getting a little irritated - in fact I believe I have not seen such a response from you like that before and I have been using this forum for some years, don't know how many but feels like more than 10.

David

If it appears hostile that was not my intention David, but it does get very wearing when different people repeatedly suggest that either:

1. We are under some sort of political control/pressure to break our own rules - we are not.

2. That somehow we would be prepared to remove something simply because it asks difficult, potentially embarrassing, questions of the publisher, a model shop, a distributor, the BMFA, uncle Tom Cobbly... - we would not.

The problem is of course each individual sees only their own case. But I am afraid we face this comment far too often. And frankly we are disappointed at times that people feel the need to say that.

So, no hostility intended - perhaps some sadness felt (aaaahhhhh!) - but we'll get over it wink 2

Let's move on with the debate...

BEB

Posted by pete taylor on 16/08/2014 11:19:31:
Ditto! When I took out and paid for my print + digital subscription last December I expected the relevant t&c's to run until the renewal date at the very least.

Exactly and now this has started I'm rather surprised by the lack of basic understanding of contract law being shown by MyTimeMedia. They have to wait until all the current subscriptions expire before they can offer to make a change and let us all decide whether to accept that or not, it's a common business practice employed a lot in today's naive business world, perhaps deliberately provocative knowing that statistically most will accept the change unchallenged.

I checked the current T&C and they have no provision for changing the terms and delivery of services, there's lot of discussion about us not paying for services received and (of course) in this instance the converse applies so if they don't deliver that's our implied T&C, let's see what tHey say on Monday.

Posted by ken anderson. on 16/08/2014 10:35:47:

john-Sorted you say- by paying More money.....? ..... good solution/not ...I would call it -sorted for the salesman....

ken Anderson ne..1 ... not sorted dept..

Well, Ken... I was paying £35.96 a year in four quarterly chunks for the Print + (now removed) Digital archive. I'm now paying £19.99 a year (though with a 3-month overlap of both) for the Digital version. So I'm payng less now (ignoring the £8.99 overlap) and getting what I want.

I'm not bothered about the printed mag - I only usually flick through it when it arrives and read the "urgent" stuff, then put it aside to read 'properly' later - though "later" often never arrives! With the digital edition I'm probably likely to read more of it.

I have just called the Subscriptions Dept. to ask why my Digital element has been removed (disappointingly they did not call me back after my initial query) and they have reinstated the Digital element without charge because of course I was already contracted to receive the Print + Digital services as part of my long standing subscription.

So if you previously held a subscription and have since paid extra (having had the service removed) call them and get a refund.

Likewise if you held a subscription before this change and you want to continue to enjoy access to the archives and digital versions, then call them to get them reinstated.

I found that my print and digital subscription had been registered as print-only when I lost access to the digital archive a couple of weeks ago. It took 8 working days for me to get a response after e-mailing at least three times - and that was probably only after David A gave them a nudge.

I provided proof of print and digital subscription over 24 hrs ago and haven't heard anything since.

Still no digital access.

Great mag (and forum) but awful support.