Lipo's....and bursts

Advert

Multiply amp hours by the C rating and you get max ampage. Most burst C ratings are way overly optimistic and the lipo will cry uncle long beforeyou get there. Stick to the lower C and you should be fine with all but the cheapest packs...

e,g 2200ma/h lipo is 2.2a/h. At 25C the battery is capable of supplying 55amps, (2.2a/h x 25c) At 30C it can supply 66 amps. (2,2a/h x 30C)

If your setup is drawing say 70 amps you would need either a higher capacity battery or higher C rated battery.

You would also need to keep an eye on the capacity though because although the 2200mah 25C lipo can supply 55 amps it can only do so for approximately 1.98 minutes!

I don't understand why, when seeking more amps capability from a battery, people seem to automatically go for higher C rating: As has been pointed out, amps capability = Ah x C, so increasing the Ah will give you the same result, plus longer flight duration.

Maybe the answer is that more C adds less weight to the pack than more mAh does -- has anyone done a comparison?

Personally I try to size my packs so they're running at 10C or less on average. Some in my larger models give me in excess of 15m flight time, which means they're averaging only 4C.

Yes, agree with Alan B. I find that going for the largest capacity that's practical is far more economical than the high C option. I've just got some 3000 20C three cell packs from HK (UK) to replace the 2200s that I was using previously - only twelve quid each, including delivery. Slightly heavier but run times are extended, and even after eight minutes in my Hyperion Yak52 the battery is hardly warm.