National Model Flying Centre

Cuban8

I'm a bit more optimistic perhaps about the opportunity to manage this in a way which benefits all members and also creates a profile which widens interest and helps to ensure the future of the hobby. However, like you, I will make my judgement when I see a firm proposal, properly evaluated and costed in a business plan which is credible.

So we'll see what happens next. Actually I'm writing this in the office in between trying to sort something else out. Time for a cup of tea, I think. I'd rather be flying though. but I seem to be stuck in a rut where if the weather is good, I can't go and when I can go, the weather is unflyable. I think someone is out to get me.

Advert

I thought it was only myself that the met office has a vendetta against. Not a cloud in the sky today, 5mph breeze, 9c. I have a heavy workload around the paddocks and outbuildings, so forget flying today. Yesterday was 'orrible, very cold, regular light showers and generally dismal. I messed about in the workshop inventing jobs to beat the boredom. Some days you just can't win. On a different note, I was approached by the BMFA to see if I was interested in 'helping out' regarding the Center, I said OK.....then never heard anything again! Hmmmm.

Posted by Erfolg on 25/03/2015 09:06:00:

John

I see the situation quite differently.

It could be that no one is interested, one way or the other.

It could also be seen that very few BMFA members are aware of the opportunity to comment.

It could also be an indication that the access/comment process, so as to make comments is not user friendly, the need to obtain a PIN number being an obstacle.

I do think it could be suggested that you are indulging in a little spin, and possibly seeking to raise the profile of the issue, i can only guess at any other motives.

You have read too much into what I said Erfwink

My point was I see it as positive that there is somewhere to air our views and get a response from the BMFA (Manny). I have moaned about what I felt was poor communication and nowhere to have our say, that's changed..so for me that is positive.

It was easy enough for me to get my PIN so I don't see that as much of an obstacle. You're club Secretary same as myself so make your members aware of it, get Manny to your club it costs you nothing.

As to indulging in a bit of spin...well you made me smilesmiley until the Survey is completed I have no opinion for or against, the only opinion I do have is the clubs/members should decide on it not the full council.

John

John. Agreed it's not exactly a simple click to comment operation.

When logged in from the Home page....

Click National 'Centre Study Update' in the News flash column

From the News Page click 'See here for the article'

From the article page click Post Comment at top RH side of page

Click the comments number (the one in brackets) or the main title.

Scroll to bottom of comments already posted and fill in the form - click post

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/03/2015 09:27:28

John

In a way, I was hoping that you were trying to raise the profile of the idea. For the same or similar reasons, the apparently poor communications with ordinary members.

One of the recent surprises to me is how few of my clubs members have an E-Mail address. From this I am concluding that possibly 50% either have no access to a computer or do not use what they have, not going onto the Internet.

This suggests to me that BMFA Mag, is the most important channel for them being aware of what the BMFA is doing and what is happening in our RC world.

I also know that many have stopped buying RC magazines, I have though why? I have no clear idea, only what I am told, that there is nothing in them and they are all the same. Which surprises me a little, yet the modelling world has changed a lot. There is a real irony here for me, although many talk of how we should all build from scratch, they then assemble their ARTF model and fly it.

Which brings me onto a whinge I have, people who submit written items for mag inclusion, tend to be the competitors. My members were once competitors, but now just fly. The emphasis on results has very few followers, a blow by blow description (as in the old aeromodellers) is a definite turn off. Yet the rest of us cannot be bothered to make an effort, or are we a little shy of our meagre efforts?

Personally I think the general content has improved.

My other whinge, is that electrics are dangerous, so it would seem, given the disproportionate emphasis on the hazards of the same electric issues. It would seem these days that IC are perfectly safe. As presented in the Mag.

It is interesting, that one of my and others thoughts have been that there are less plastic kits are built world wide today, than in the p[ast, from a comment from a member of the Horizon sales team at Nuremburg. This fits with less people entering RC modelling in their teens up to the early 40s, from the RCM&E graph from a survey. I know that Colin sees this as being negative. I just see a trend. What can be done about it is another thing. I fear that there is little that the BMFA can do. It is a societal issue. Yet I know all my grand kids love making things, two (girls) have flown my simple unbreakable park flyers. Again there is an irony here, many on this site have railed against uninsured flying in parks etc. everything that I did as a child.

Erf

If I see something in the BMFA news or website I post it, the more that view it the better I think, same with our club website and meetings. We also have Manny coming for a talk July 20th, meetings open to non members. It's my job to provide the information from BMFA to our members what they do with it is up to them.

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 26/03/2015 18:13:39:

Erf

If I see something in the BMFA news or website I post it, the more that view it the better I think, same with our club website and meetings. We also have Manny coming for a talk July 20th, meetings open to non members. It's my job to provide the information from BMFA to our members what they do with it is up to them.

John

excellent post John. it is what is required and is part of the BMFA communicating after all the BMFA isnt just those of us in the office, its all 36000 of us. we in the office can get stuff out via the News the website, the facebook page and forums and through club secretaries. each method still relies on some viral spreading though. one of the best methods should be, through club secretaries who have access to a lot of members. all we can do is try to make the best use of each method.

btw John. im hoping to come along with Manny on 20th July, if thats ok with you of course.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 26/03/2015 19:53:42

Today i bumped into the chairman of another local club.

I will not dwell on his knowledge of the NFC, as it we all now know the subject degenerates in counter claim with respect to how widely the idea has been broadcast.

More usefully, perhaps, is a suggestion, in order to put the idea of NFC into context, we need to know what the BMFA stands for today. In the past grandly called articles of association, spelled out the then vision. To me there are at least two visions of the BMFA. The first is an organisation which represents all aeromodellers and as part of this role, organises suitable insurance for club members. There is an other which could be characterised as organisation, which seeks to promote aeromodelling, with an emphasis on sporting events both nationally and at both internationals and world competitive levels.

An up to date vision vision of what the BMFA seeks to achieve and its role in aeromodelling, would help in framing how a NFC could fit with whatever the current vision is. What ever it was, is of historic interest, more important is where it wants to go, both today and in the future.

Understanding this basic vision, would be a starting point in understanding what a NFC could possibly deliver. At present the descriptive possible function is a little like a pick your own sweet bag, it will have everything. The composition of the bag, dependant on your own personal preferences. For example it would be a National competition venue, a everyday flying site, a museum, a historic archive, a camping ground, a exhibition centre,a administrative centre, a business conference centre, and possibly much more.

There needs to be more detail of the core activities. How these fit with the purpose of the BMFA, today and into the future. Without the context the business plan will lack focus, where the proposal will be developed against a backdrop of what might be doable, rather than to meet a set of goals or targets.

I suspect I am not the only one who wants specifics, rather than we could do what ever we think we can sell to you, the punters.

I am particularly concerned that the wide ranging catalogue of possible uses, although seemingly attractive, has potentially major handicaps. If the NFC is close to a major conurbation, there could well be major objections from locals on the grounds of not being a suitable location for noise and nuisance in a neighbourhood already doing its bit to accommodate, noise, traffic pollution etc. A rural location has much the same issues, plus, do we want to destroy the peace of the green lungs of our country and of course the added traffic etc, would be an unbearable burden on this community. Both types of locations would be exceedingly expensive to purchase, particularly green belt land, where it is possible to actually build, and use as outlined vaguely.

At present it is all ifs and buts, until we understand what the the NFC concept is, along with a comprehensive proposal, we the ordinary members see what we want to see.

Only then will many be convinced that vision has any merit. Only then will it be possible to have a constructive dialogue.

Edited By Erfolg on 31/03/2015 23:25:41

I do agree, what surprises me is that so many just think it is a wishful dream, that will die in the hard light of day and as such it will just go away.

Yet, what ever any ones personal opinions of a NFC, it would be no bad thing for the BMFA to become involved in promoting the interests of current BMFA members. Such as regional fly ins, leasing of flying sites, perhaps for limited use for specific usage/events.

I wonder if the BMFA knows how modelling is fairing across the world, and what lessons that can be learnt, and possible actions to increase modelling activities. etc.