The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Hi Folks,

Progress after one week. Just nipping in the shed here and there to glue a bit in between grass and hedge cutting, paperwork (i.e. bills), shopping etc and generally catching up after 5 weeks away. I am impressed at how fast the Atom goes together and everything fits! Nice job you did there Rich. Have cheated and bought the AJ blades to speed things up. Haven't had time to unwrap them yet!

Cheers

Bob

dscf1042.jpg

Hi ,

I made this .

bladejig.jpg

On Saturday at my brothers workshop , he has everything i need sad but haven't got.

And i went flying on Sunday and so haven`t had any time to fully try it out as when i get home from work it is dark sad.

I had a quick go of it outside in the dark i think it shows promise but will not be able to fully try it out until weekend sad.

Has anyone else made a Blade jig question. and how well did it work for you .

Do you have any tips . if it worksl a PDF on how to make the Jig would be usefully .

This is my 1st attempt so i do not know how well it will work yet , but if it does i will be more that happy to share the drawing with you all .

Steve

Posted by Stephen Jones on 11/11/2014 21:43:16:
Has anyone else made a Blade jig question. and how well did it work for you .

Yes I have, see my post: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=98774&p=19

It worked well, but sanding the spruce leading edge cross-grain is a bit hard on the sanding paper, so I did only a few cuts that way and used these cuts to gauge the depth I had to plane away. And I cleaned it up using a sanding bar afterwards.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 11/11/2014 22:06:50

Edited By Max Z on 11/11/2014 22:09:58

Posted by Mike Stevens on 11/11/2014 20:49:43:

Have adjusted my end point adjustment to max...140% but don't seem to have enough throw still with recommended servos. Assume my output arms to short? Anything else I can do? Will post a video later. Mike

Mike,

I know I have posted this video before, but you can see how we cut down the horizontal bar to give more throw. Though it is not really needed for floating around it does come in useful for 'hot dogging', making the push rods parallel is a good guide. The only problem with narrowing the bar is that it increases the load to the servos, but the load is halved as it is in a load share set up so shouldn't be an issue with the servos being used.

I made a start on the new laser cut head, here are a few photos of what I have done so far...
img_4841.jpg
Mast mount parts, H1 and H2 (2 off). There will be no need to narrow the top end of the mast with this mount
img_4844.jpg
img_4847.jpg
img_4850.jpg
Two H3's make up the pivot, each has a lazer score mark which is scraped with a pin several times. When sandwiched together this creates a centre hole which can be drilled 3mm all the way through. (a bit blurred)
img_4852.jpg
You can just make out the 3mm hole I have drilled to accept a M3 bolt, also supplied in the kit will be some mylar washers so that there are no wood to wood faces.
img_4854.jpg
And the top half of parts which I haven't got around to building yet.
img_4856.jpg
Rich

Hi Guys,

Have not built an autogyro before although I recall flying a DB twin rotor one for somebody many years back. I have now built an ATOM but have done an IC version - ASP 12 on the front.

However both HK and Coolwind are out of stock of the heads, so production has ground to a halt. Does anyone have the contacts please for the gentleman who has made the laser cut ply version - regret that I don't have twitter.

Many thanks,

Mike, fwiw I tried to get the same roll throws as Richard shows in his video, but ended up flying with rates reduced to 60% and 40% exponential dialled in to get something that I can keep in control............., he must have a very spirited style of flying! Sadly, I cannot check the actual movements of the head right now since my Atom is "temporarily unserviceable" (flew it with too much wind and lost it again due to disorientation) sad

Max.

Posted by Bob Bertram on 12/11/2014 08:56:05:

Looking at the photos I have noticed that some of the models have a spacer between the firewall and the motor and some don't. I have the Turnigy motor as specified by Rich, should I use a ply spacer and if so, how much?

Cheers

Bob

Bob,

The reason for the spacers is pretty simple. My excuse is that I was in a bit of a rush making the cowl plug to match the fuselage, I then realised that my motor didn't match the depth of the already made cowl. Easiest thing for me to do was to pack out the motor to suit the cowl.

In hindsight I should have mounted the motor, taken some measurements to determine the length from bulkhead to prop adapter face making the plug to these dimensions.

Of course, being an engineer I am never wrong and they are in fact spacers to assist in cooling teeth 2thumbs upembarrassed

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for that, I had been thinking about it and wondered if it was anything to do with getting the right hang angle!

I am thoroughly enjoying the build and progressing quicker than I thought with the time I have spent in the shed but work will grind to a halt as I will be away next week.

Cheers

Bob

Posted by Richard Harris on 02/10/2014 22:24:47:

Markus,

Yes, the Panther or Mantis blades scaled down should work fine. I would make them at least 5mm wider than the AJ blades. Looking forward to seeing your Atom come together thumbs up

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 02/10/2014 22:25:54

Edited By Richard Harris on 02/10/2014 22:26:33

Hey Rich,

blades finished!

The first set of blanks I glued, came on with exactly same weight each! beer I scaled down the mantis Profile and followed your advice to make the blades 5mm wider than the AJ Bladeswink Thanks for that!

Blades dimensions here are 450mmx49mmx6mm

So hopefully get my Canopy come together and getting the pushrods finished!

p1030482.jpg

Cheers

Markus