The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

I cannot believe that you guys are getting the CoG right, having the spacer for the motor mount AND the batteries so far forward. True, I am using a slightly heavier motor (SK3 2830 series), but I moved the motor bulkhead about 1 cm aft and bolted the motor hard against the bulkhead, without the spacer. No cowling installed, and I still have to move the 124 grams battery as far back as possible to have a hanging angle less than the max. 18 deg. She flies ok though.

The only real change I made to the design is that I replaced the forward bottom part with a piece of 6 mm poplar plywood to have a better anchoring of the L/G legs, but by the looks of Steve's pictures he is doing the same.

Max.

Holes in the plastic are with tubes sharpened on the inside only with a scalpel blade. Tubes with teeth jump about and dont give a clean edge,

Tubes with teeth I use for cutting neat holes in balsa and at a push thin ply -such as 0.8mm for instument panels etc

Will post pic tomorrow

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 04/12/2014 22:58:30

Whilst on the subject of hole cutters I made this many moons ago for cutting holes through ribs to take paper tubes for servo wires. It's brass sharpened on it's inner side which holds the cut cores, then using thumb on the serrated pusher ejects the cut out. It cuts a 1/2" hole.000_0121.jpg

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 05/12/2014 08:10:56

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 05/12/2014 08:12:49

I made a movie to show you guys the roll and pitch throws I am using. I feel comfortable with those (wit a lot of exponential dialled in), hot enough for me laugh:

Edit: on viewing the video again I noticed that the roll trim appears to be neutral, that must be the camera angle. I did trim it to the left by about 3-4 degrees.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 06/12/2014 11:05:16

Ok gents, a quick add up...

1. David P Williams (UK)

2. Steve Jones 2 (UK)

3. Phil Winks (UK)

4. Joe Anderson (UK/Greece)

5. Andy Joyce (UK)

6. Tomas Dunker (Sweden)

7. Nigel Simkin (UK)

8. Graham L (UK)

9. Max Z (Netherlands)

10. Markus Drillkens (Germany)

11. Stephen Jones (UK)

12. Terry Whiting 1 (UK)

13. Rich Harris (UK)

14. John Stones 1 (UK)

15. Mike Stevens (UK)

16. Bob Bertram (UK)

17. Levanter3 (Spain)

18. George Elliot (UK)

19. Nigel Banham (UK)

20. Edmond Burgess (UK)

First 20

Rich

And some more....

21. Chris Dowell (Australia)

22. William alexander 1 (UK)

23. Caveman (UK)

24. Pat (rActive) Harbord (UK)

25. Sebrien andre (France)

26. Alan Gorham (UK)

27. Chris Barlow (UK)

28. Gary Manuel (UK)

29. Kevin Flynn (USA)

30. Chris Jones 7 (UK)

31. Kris S (?)

32. Cali (UK/Dubai)

33. Ian Jones (UK)

34. Graham Bowers (UK)

35. Handyman (UK)

36. Simon Burch (UK)

37. Graham Ashby (UK, subject to work commitments)

38. James Mark (UK)

39. Paul Marsh (UK, subject to lady luck thumbs up)

40. Kris S (UK)

Looking pretty good

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 07/12/2014 21:14:58

Hi Richard,

I have now finished an Atom with an ASP 12 glow on the front.

As mentioned , to get the CG correct I have fitted the radio battery (1600m/ah) behind the rotor and because there is a 4oz tank in the cockpit, the engine servo is next to the rudder servo, with a cable under the tank. I have had to use a (cut down) standard fibre engine mount, but if anyone can find or make a radial back-plate mount for their engine (ie fitted onto the motor back-plate screws then it would make the installation neater.

I would be interested in knowing the normal all up weight of the electric versions for comparison -anyone??? The ic one comes out at 1lb 13oz (no fuel) in old money. If mine is much heavier then hopefully it may be more powerful, otherwise take-off could be in the distance -we have quite a big field but its a bit soggy at present.

I had intended to put in some pictures, but I have not yet worked out how to do it....... we will see what it looks like after the maiden - perhaps when Suffolk dries out a bit!

Nigel

Nigel,

Mine is around 1lb 9 oz there or there abouts, not sure how it will fly with the extra weight on AJ blades. When I am up at the field next I will ballast mine up to match yours. Saying that, this is using a 1550mah 3 cell lipo, I know some are using 2200mah so not sure if that adds up to much extra weight?

Chas,

I will add you to the list mate thumbs up Just drawing up a biggie version and the canopy stumped me also, mine will be a 2 seater with a canopy made in 2 parts using 3litre cider bottles. Failing that I have plenty of blue foam! I have been eyeing up those big water bottles at the super market.

Rich