The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

I have to advise of the durability of this model.....a couple of days ago I was playing with a two blade assembly and got the model on its side in a long pylon type turn...full opposite rudder and roll...but still no control until it hit the ground ..fast on its side.. Now you have to expect a lot of damage in that situation....but only broke the prop and the two booms as they exit the fuz. Simple fix.

Chris...

Hi Chris,

I bet you thought that was 'Good night Atom', glad it's to be a simple fix. There is truth in the old saying "the lighter they are the lighter the fall, the heavier they are..........you know the rest...wink.

Max, I was only going to crib your mast idea,, I'm was fortunate in buying my C30 early, although I have made a head using an IC car universal drive coupling, must add not as nice looking as your concept .

Terry

I did the "hanging test" today, with everything on board except for the rotor (I figured since it will be symmetrical around the tethering point it will not influence the hanging-angle). I am finding that the angle is right up to the maximum of 18 deg.

I did use a slightly heavier motor than the one proposed in the instructions (a Turnigy SK3 2830 series rather than a 2826), about 13-14 gram difference. For this reason I moved the bulkhead some 10-12 mm back, and put the motor hard against it. Prop is an APC E type, 10x5. Battery is a 1650 mAh 3s, I moved it right back in the cockpit area.

The only conclusion I can draw is that I built the tail too light . What should I do best, go with it or add some weight to the tail to move the CofG backwards?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 16/10/2014 17:57:38

Edited By Max Z on 16/10/2014 17:58:05

Max,

You should be fine at that. We had a new one turn up at our OW get together last weekend and that had about 20 degrees hang, it flew with very little trim change. Graham, the builder and flier may be able to give a little more info if he sees this post.

I will find the actual balance point on mine later on and take some snaps, at least we can compare like for like then.

Rich

I tried my Atom again last w/e with my original Atom blades with the larger shim as used on my auto g2 blades on which it flew fine, this time however no problem getting the blades to spin up but as soon as it got airborne she just wanted to climb very steeply virtually stalling it, gave up in the end.

Nigel,

You need to add a little extra shim to your blades, this will cure the nosing up under power by reducing the lift available from your blades. If you get to the stage where you need to pull back to get it to ROG you have added too much. It is surprising how just the thinnest of shim strips can alter a model.

Max,

I have just measured my CG for reference, blade assembly was removed and the Lipo was installed. From F3 it roughly balances at around 50mm forward of this, hope this helps?

Sorry about the photo, there is no natural light.

img_4837.jpg

Rich

finish01 (2).jpgMy Atom is still flying strong smileyever after a few visits to the bushesembarrassed

The guests at the Hotel love it and are getting interested in Autogyros

I'm using the std H K head and blades with the hinge changed to this

The mast is an 8mm alloy tube from a Raptor 50 tail support held in place with a screw

Also the tail plane is removable for repair winkwink

I also fitted a steerable tail wheel to help with ground handling

Rich did you get the kit I sent you via Neil?

Joe

Edited By Joe Anderson on 16/10/2014 21:09:25

Edited By Joe Anderson on 16/10/2014 21:10:21

Edited By Joe Anderson on 16/10/2014 21:28:52

Joe,

Yes I got the kit, excellent quality. I have sent him the files for my O/D head, it should be cut by the weekend hopefully. Simple (and cheap I hope) replacement for the hard to get HK head.

Here you go, Atom Special at the RC Hotel in Greece....

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 16/10/2014 21:10:42

Posted by Richard Harris on 16/10/2014 22:38:14:
Trim the end of the blade so that you have roughly a 14mm gap between blade root and blue triangular bearing housing.
Posted by Steve Jones 2 on 13/10/2014 21:13:34:

So, my Atom blade dimensios are:

Length - 445mm

Width - 52mm

Bolt mounting - M3 at 20mm from blade root

I am getting confused here, both pieces of info are conflicting. I had to guess at the size of the bearing housing since I do not have the HK head to measure, but with the position of the holes as per the published drawing it can hardly be any smaller than what I drew in this sketch:

atomblade.jpg

This results in a blade bolt position of 10.5 mm from the root, not the 20 mm that Steve mentions. Where did I go wrong?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 17/10/2014 14:41:15

Max,

That drawing is bang on!

img_4839.jpg

And here is the first head that has been cut, I will be getting a few of these to assemble early next week which I will test hard! I have made it as simple as I can , keeping the material the same thickness all round with minimal parts. I will post more as I start assembling if anyone is interested?

2014-10-17 13.59.06.jpg

Rich

Here is mine... Similar but different cheeky DImensional difference is probably the taper at the root....

sam_2361.jpg

Note also the reduced with HK head 'T bar' - 8mm cut off both sides to increase roll travel . Links to the servos are parallel.

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 17/10/2014 17:39:01

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 17/10/2014 17:41:02