Prop adaptor 'Puller,

JayCee

Hi

Very difficult to try and find the exact thread title, so bare with me.

I'm trying to locate a tool to remove a stuck prop adaptor, in other words the cone shaped adaptor that fits on the electric motor shaft which fits tighter to the shaft the more you tighten the prop.

i had a motor failure but I'm unable to remove the motor because the adaptor is jammed solid.

i assume there must be a tool perhaps called a Puller' but have been unable to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks jaycee

Advert

It's just possible a valve spring compressor ( as used by car owners in the 1920's to 80's when people reground the valves in their car themselves) might do the trick. Worth looking in the garage? Also Brian Winch showed how to make something similar for ic prop drivers some years ago - a chunk of steel with a cutout bolted ( and spaced) to another chunk of steel which is tapped for a large bolt to provide some pressure onto the shaft.

But first try gettng it as cold as possible and then applying lots of heat quickly to the outside part to expand it - should work.

Thanks once again to all for your links and suggestions.

The main problem is access, this prop adaptor is fitted in a Sebart Angel 30e which doesn't have a removable cowl.

therefore the adaptor only sticks out about 6mm from the front of the plane with only about 8mm gap around it, all a very tight fit. So unable to have access to heat it up. May have to get the diamond cutters out on the Dremel and do some major surgery.

jaycee

JC, I had to resort to using a balljoint puller that I had amongst my car tools after I extensively "modified" my Sebart Katana a couple of weeks ago and had to buy a new one... embarrassed

One like this;

I don't know if you'd have room to use one though if the cowl doesn't remove on your Angel. At least I had the motor out of the Katana wreckage - even then the puller didn't line-up perfectly and it was a bit of a 'bodge' job using it, but it worked!

Hi John

yes heard about the Katana demise, I'm sure it wasn't pilot error you must tell me more!!

well have the motor out after about three hours, in the end I decided to try and pull the motor shaft forwards after releasing the retaining grub screw, unfortunately the failed baring was welded to the shaft so that didn't work either, so in the end my lovely Hacker A30 10XL was cut into pieces with a diamond cutter in my Dremel.

The joys of flying!!

JC

It was a "dumb thumbs" moment, low down, flying slowly towards me into a strong wind whilst coninuously rolling.... I "lost the plot" slightly and ran out of airspeed, altitude and ideas all at the same time. embarrassed

Those Sebart models are beautifully designed and built to fly well, but (quite rightly) not to survive any significant impact! I rang the nice folks at Kings Lynn Models the following day and a big box arrived at home the day after containing a new one which I'm now flying. The old one had survived 381 flights according to my battery logger, so it hadn't done too badly. teeth 2