A tale of two Chippies

John Timmis

• 1 month later...
Advert

Hi folks

Belated Happy New Year to all.

Not much has happened in the last couple of months what with Christmas & a few other things getting in the way.

Chippie has been on the back burner. However I did recover it from the back of the workshop the other day & give it a good looking at.

It's almost ready for some paint (when it gets a bit warmer). There are a few jobs still to do first. The elevators hinges need to be glued in & then the tail fairing can be finished off then the fuselage can be be prepared for painting.

Canopy needs to be masked there is still an exhaust & a spinner to make.

A decision has to be made about how much detailing to do. I know that at school we were taught ' Don't spoil the ship for a halfpence of tar', or in this case 'A handfull of rivets'. I think that I will settle for a decent paint job & leave it at that. This is not a competition model & I want it to be good for everyday flying without to much worry.

So we are back on the Job. More later.

Cheers John

• 2 months later...

Hi folks

After a long period of inactivity we are now back on task. The Chipmunk has emerged from hibernation & things are moving forward a little. There are a few things to finish off & then it will be time to get the paint out.

The elevator has been glued in place & the tail fairing finished. A card cover strip has been added to the fuselage where the front &rear sections join. A length of plastic parcel strapping tape was used to help mark a pencil line.

Cheers John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi folks

I'm looking for a bit of advice re paints today.

The chippie is just about ready for its top paint now. The question is ..... 'What sort of paint to use?'

So far the fuselage has been covered with glass & epoxy followed by hi build primer & then a grey primer using Halfords rattle cans. The wing is covered in nylon & clear dope then primer on the sheeted surfaces.

I did intend to continue along the rattle can route but wouldimage.jpeg value advice re alternatives. B&Q do colour match tester pots. Are these a viable proposition for a scale model or are auto paints better?

It's electric so fuel proofing isn't an issue. The main colours are ; Light aircraft grey & Signal red.

Please 'chip in" with your thoughts.

This is what I'm aiming for.

Cheers John.

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg

Hi folks

At last there is some progress to show for the last 2 months.

Danny , thanks for the advice re the paints. A friend lent me a decent compressor & an airbrush. I decided to try the B&Q tester pots. The colours were matched to samples of Humbrol enamel & I found that they sprayed very well if they were thinned down a bit, about 25% washer fluid I think. Thanks again ,also, for the stencils you cut for me a while back. They worked a treat & I am very greatful to you for these.

There are still a few things to finish off but the end is in sight & first flight /fright time is getting nearer.

Sorry there are no rivets to be seen on this one but if you stand back a bit it looks ok. Well, I'm quite pleased anyway.

How are the rest of you getting on? It's been very quiet on here for a while.

Cheers for now

John

image.jpeg

Good one John, I'm sure that it will fly as well as it looks. Progress on mine was accelerating until four weeks when I had to divert my attention back to the Seafang! That's done, but I'm away from home now until 31 May, when I can get back onto it. Like you, I don't think I will be going into too much scale detail, I just want a relaxing scale flyer that looks right in the air. If it works out ok, I may well add rivets etc. later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Chippie no 1 suffered an off runway landing last Sat which has resulted in a small nose job being needed in the workshop. Nothing too serious & quite easily fixed. Accidents seldom have a single cause ( I'm not going into that here) but mostly , it comes down to pilot error. The photo shows the damage.

While the motor was removed I took the opportunity to fit it into Chippie no2. This enabled me to carry out a CG check on the complete model. It balances spot on according to the plan, without any extra ballast needed. It's a bit heavier than the first model (8lb 10oz according to to my scales) so the battery had to be moved forward.

The photo shows the model suspended by 2 loops from a point in the ceiling. A plum line from the same point indicates the CG position.

So now it's just a case of setting up the control throws & checking the power output & it should be good to go.

Fingers crossed, hope the extra weight is ok. I'll let you all know. Don't hold your breath I'm going on holiday for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else flow their Chippie yet?

Cheers John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

First flights were sucessfully carried out this morning. It is a delight to fly, just like the first one. It's a bit heavier at

8 3/4 lbs but no problems. 800 watts & a 13 x 4 prop get it up & away pretty quickly.

Sorry no photos today, will try to get some next time.

Cheers John.

Hi Danny

Yes the C of G is exactly as per plan. I'm dead chuffed with it. Thanks for all your help over the past months. It's been a long project but very enjoyable & rewarding.

During the cold months , while waiting to do the painting on the Chippie, I made a start on the BT Hurricane that we talked about at Greenacres last year. I'll put a few photos up later if anyone is interested.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

That looks excellent John, congratulations. Mine has been on hold for a few months along with all of my other projects because of other goings-on that have put paid to most building and flying. I'm getting back on stream now and have actually managed to fly twice in the last ten days, will do so again later this week. I have taken another look at the Chipmunk and hope to get going on it again shortly. It's unlikely to see air below its' wheels before 2017, but I'll do my best.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/09/2016 23:15:25

Well done John, mine is still sat waiting for the weather and my spare time to co-incide

I did hear from a modeller who has built the Chippy from the Bryant plan, and is having trouble with the models stability, as though the c of g is off. He has it set as per the plans, where is the c of g on yours John?

Cheers

Danny

Colin

Thanks for the comments. I've had other 'goings on' too. Missed all the shows this year, Western Park , Cosford & Greenacres. Look forward to your future progress with the Chippie.

Danny

Thanks. Both Chippies fly well with the CG exactly as per plan. 2nd one is a bit heavier but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Having survived the Chippie build I have started on the BT Hurricane. This has been ongoing for a while now & is coming along well. I'll put some photos up soon.

Cheers John

Well done John - my 90% built airframe is still on the to do list but being retired I never have enough time! I guess that should read I don't have enough time management LOL! I do have a large BH Chippie in the box too but that isn't intended to prevent the DB Chippie being finished as that will be a more personal aeroplane.

Terry