Duxford Sunday 14 September 2014.

Colin Leighfield

dsc_0172.jpgdsc_0187.jpgdsc_0207.jpgdsc_0241.jpgdsc_0242.jpgdsc_0247.jpgdsc_0306.jpgdsc_0366.jpgdsc_0399.jpgdsc_0406.jpgdsc_0496.jpgdsc_0541.jpgdsc_0542.jpgdsc_0551.jpgdsc_0598.jpgdsc_0599.jpgdsc_0603.jpgdsc_0613.jpgdsc_0630.jpgdsc_0639.jpgdsc_0640.jpgdsc_0662.jpgdsc_0685.jpgdsc_0686.jpgdsc_0692.jpgdsc_0714.jpgdsc_0736.jpgdsc_0740.jpgdsc_0751.jpgA great show, the two Lancasters were the highlight, but where else can you see a Curtiss Hawk 75/P36A in action! The Red Arrows were the best I've ever seen, their 2014 routine is awesome. I've not got the hang of controlling the light on the camera yet and some of the shots are darker than I wanted, but I've included a few for interest. The weather was good but light quality varied. I had my first flight in a Dragon Rapide for 64 years, just had to do it. Chipmunk next!dsc_0758.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 15/09/2014 13:17:40

Advert

Colin, nice shots. If you go down on the shutter speed you'll get more light in the lens and will avoid the frozen prop scenario at the same time, out of interest what gear are you using? It doesn't help that being inside the airfield means that most shots will be backlit leading to lots of silhouettes, myself and a couple of other forum regulars went on Saturday but were on the far side from where you were looking, the light's much better. Looks like it was hazy too, tricky photography conditions for you!

I'll post a couple of mine up when I've finished going through them.

Very, very nice, much better than the ones I took at East Kirkby. Also my wife thought she had pressed the record button on the vid camera, but hadn't. Doh! Still, there were hundreds of cameras there so someone must have some great images.

Are the WW1 types from the Great War Display Team? I've wanted to see them for ages.

Thanks for the comments guys. Matt, I know you're right, I'm not there yet. The camera's a new Nikon D3300, shooting here with a Nikkor AF-S DX 55/300. I've got loads more pics but I just put these up at random, more or less.

I need to master the balance between aperture and speed against moving targets in these varying sky backgrounds. I look forward to seing Matt's shots.

It was a good display and fantastic to see the Lancasters together, the reason for attending this specific display for me.

I hope it's not churlish of me to say that I was slightly disappointed that the Lancs cleared off to stooge around 3 - 4 miles away behind the crowd line while the BBMF Spit duo put on a display before the Lancs returned for the final passes.

Much as I love Spits, in my opinion, that was not the slot to be devoting so much any time at all to Spitfires, for me every second of available Lancaster time should have been in front of the crowd up the middle of the runway. They should have saved the BBMF Spitfire duo for another occasion particularly as there was the lovely Spifires & Hurricane slot towards the end. Can't beat early mark Spits as far as I'm concerned but that's another thread! Oh yes, the big American radial warbird slot was stunning too but then that's what Duxford is good at.

Anyway, what a fantastic sight and sound the Lancasters provided so time to get Just Jane flying again and we can have some more.

Oh yes, and a huge thank you to all that made the Lanc tour happen and particularly our Canadian chums, absolutely fantastic effort.

Alan

Posted by Pup Cam on 16/09/2014 22:11:22:

Oh yes, and a huge thank you to all that made the Lanc tour happen and particularly our Canadian chums, absolutely fantastic effort.

Absolutely right, and I wonder if, back in Canada, they realise just how much interest there has been over here in the two Lancs. Thanks for bringing her across the Atlantic, and have a safe journey back next week. thumbs up

Hi Colin. I am also a Nikon user (D90 with 70-300 stabilised zoom) and do a lot of aircraft photography. I set exposure compensation at -1/3 stop for airborne shots when light is normal but a bit extra for very bright days. This works well 99% of the time. I set the camera to shutter priority 125sec and this freezes the props with a nice rotation pattern. A 1000sec freezes jets ok but I prefer the old stuff!

Try it and I hope this helps .

Colin