Pushycat Option

Keith Berriman

Advert

An undercarriage would need to be fairly long to give prop clearance during take off and landing.

With the prop on the front it would no longer be a Pushycat ( the clue is in the name )wink

I think most people seem to use the 'underarm' launch although a bungee launch with the motor started juat after the line released would work (I used this system for my Wildwing after drawing blood on a couple of launches)

Another option would be to fit an EDF, with or without U/C.

Edited By Mowerman on 17/09/2014 15:18:18

Posted by fly boy3 on 17/09/2014 13:18:59:

Hi, had not thought of this option, but I am not building it too. Must be a better option as far as launch safety is concerned, a good idea. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 17/09/2014 13:19:34

To be honest launching underarm is a non event. Ken (NE1) Anderson made a demo video a little while back

I will pluck up courage soon for an underarm launch. I currently have a Pinto which is underarm launch at 3/4 power but I am unable to get the same performance and feel for my Pushycat. The powertrain is as per forum but do I go for a level push or a slight nose up ? The video shows some confidence but I assume that is not a Maiden as Mr NE..1 has built others, what happens to the prop on landing ?? how many brake ???

hello RC.........just put on the power and let your arm do the work-a gentle push and let go...nose up attitude...........the model is non demanding...on landing you will be surprised how much you can slow down to a flair landing......the prop looks after itself and the one's that rarely break are due to coming in too fast.......as I have mentioned previous the only way to make a mess of the launch is if you go off the wind.....the model is very light and will go with the wind and you will have to be very 'nippy' with the controls to correct it...and fly off...also as has been mentioned a folding prop set up can be fitted.......

ken Anderson...ne...1......... let your arm do the work dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 20/09/2014 15:18:32

Mission Abandoned. Motor moved to front no problem mounting on the balsa nose, battery moved back and good C Of G. Problem came with propping, original set up 8 x 4 at rear gave 200 watts so went for 8 x 4 folder at front but only got just over 110 watts, went for a 9 x 5 folder and got 180 watts go for it. The pull was good went for a nose up launch with a gentle push all went well then it lost lift and dived in. Well at least I have the Motor, ESC etc. for another model and can take it of sale in various web pages. Thanks for all the tips

Hi Fly Boy 3 I reduced the solid balsa front end by 2" then Araldite a good 3mm ply former on the front to take 4 screws for the motor cross plate ( I use araldite 24 hour for motor plates bulk heads etc. ) I was a little eager as I should have used a Prop Saver with the original prop to retain the power needed

NB Cutting my Balsa back left me 1/2" of solid Balsa on the front of the Fuselage

• 2 years later...
Posted by AndyD on 26/07/2017 21:17:32:

this was on my wish list,how do I go about getting a plan now traps gone

Me too: I'd come across the interesting PC and made a mental note that it would be interesting to build. I also had my eye very much on the Trap*et wood-pack for that 4' span Cessna Bird Dog featured in Q&EF magazine May 2013, along with one or two other such packs. Shame it's gone.I hope this post doesn't attract the attention of the censors here, who display a Kafkaesque fondness for controlling any mention of Trap*et...