Arising Star

Frazer Simpson

Anyone thinking of purchasing the Arising Star please be aware that Seagull Models no longer glue and pin the Aileron, Elevator or Rudder hinges. The hinges are in position but you have to glue them yourself. On the box it states, Factory pinned and glued control hinges for ultimate safety. I contacted the Model Shop that I purchased it from and they contacted the wholesaler who in turn contacts Seagull who confirmed that they no longer glue them. I believe this also applies to the Boomerang. I was very miffed about this so that’s why I’m posting this warning.

Regards Frazer

Advert

I'm sure no-one on this forum would take the box label at face value and not check the hinges but I'm equally certain that there will be more than one beginner somewhere who gets caught out by this. I'd also take a good bet that neither the importer nor manufacturer would accept liability for whatever occurs as a result.

Posted by cymaz on 24/09/2014 20:11:47:

Checking for loose hinges should be part of pre-flight checks

If only we all belonged to good clubs with good advice in abundance! But then it's only a toy aeroplane, what harm can it do?devil

No, sorry, whichever way you cut it, it's wrong to state glued and pinned on the box and supply something differentthumbs down

I bought a Jumper 25 that used the cyno hinges, instructions are to push a pin through the centre of the hinge then fit the elevator to tail plane. The pin ensures that the hinge is centred use thin cyno on the hinge and it will wick though and adhere to the balsa, remove the pin and job done. The hinge will shear before the joint fails, don't ask me how I know lol. As others have said always check all joint before flying, I think that you can download Jumper 25 assembly instructions will give you details how to fit elevators, rudder and ailerons.

Hi Frazer just been looking at the jumper 25 manuals using google. The published ones only show elevators that are factory installed, the one in my kit shows how to fit the cyno hinges. If you pm me your email address I will scan the instructions from my manual and send to you. You made a good choice with the Arising Star great models and well built, my jumper is smaller and fly's a little faster.

From my experience of the E-Pioneer (a electric Boomerang in all but name) Seagull barely use glue at all!

Engine Mount (box type) literally dis-assembled itself under no stress what soever

Former joints inside the main Fuselage box were very weakly glued and opened up under first flight pressure

So whilst its actually a very nice plane, IMO its needs careful structural inspection before flight and the hinges need wicking in with CA

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 25/09/2014 10:11:04