Vic Smeed's Popsie

Anyone have any ideas what this is? The fuselage appears to be a large Popsie, but the wings and tailplane don't appear to be. The wings dont have the low aspect the Popsie has, the tips are full semi circular and the leading edge isn't broken at the cabin. The fin and rudder are a different shape too. Does anyone have a Popsie plan to compare it to?

A few specs of this model

Span 112"

Chord 14"

Length from cowl front to end of rudder 60"

Tailplane span 40"

Tailplane chord 10.5"

Height of fin above tailplane 15"

Fuselage width at windscreen 12"

It looks to me to be a Popsie but with different wings, higher aspect. I can sort the rest but could do with some measurements from a plan, is one still available? I plan to put an old Laser 75 in it, I reckon it should do the job.

Here are some pics, thanks in advance.

Ian.

dscf3261.jpg

dscf3271.jpg

dscf3274.jpg

dscf3277.jpg

dscf3280.jpg

Advert

Posted by Mowerman on 27/09/2014 18:44:32:

That looks very nice, a well built model. Never mind the name finish it and fly it.

With that engine it will sound great and should be a relaxing flyer.

The fuselage and tailplane are very well built. The wing though isn't as nice and disappoints because I know the Popsie is different. I could just cover it and fly it, but for very little effort it could be how I want it! Cheers Kev, a borrow of that plan would be ace, just to compare the various airframe measurement ratios against!

Cheers, Ian.

• 2 years later...

Ian, that looks exactly like the Popsie I built a few years ago and never managed to get flying. It just skitters about all over the place and won't take off (it's electric) probably because the undercarriage is too far forward. I gace up and stuffed it in the loft over the workshop.

You can have it if you're at the indoor sessions next month at all.  It'll make some space in loft

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 17/09/2017 20:11:31

The U/C legs seem a little too widespread to me. Re flying surfaces I would make a complete new set from the plan. Then try each set to see how they compare The set you have seem to have more surface area than the original and seem to be built lighter.I wouldn't chuck 'em out though I'd beef them up with webs between both sets of spars.and triangular rib fillets on most if not all ribs both sides using light balsa. I would use Nylon or silk to cover but i'm old fashioned although it does make a great job if done with care. Good luck