Irish Air Corps Chipmunk

Eamonn Fahey

Hi, my name is Eamonn and I am a serial modeller. I want to build a model of this Chipmunk in Irish Aer Corps colours:-

169 & 170.jpg

I got a Meccano set from the man in red when I was 5 years of age in an attempt to stop me from dismantling everything I could get my hands on in my thirst for knowelege on "How Things Worked". Then came Airfix models that were built, displayed and launched out the bedroom windows to see how far they would fly. Balsa models were next in my quest for flight, both chuck gliders and rubber powered planes. All were dismal failures - I was doing all my building on my own! Another gift from the man in red was a Jetex engine and a kit of a Vampire. This was my first sucessful flight - I was hooked. On the second flight there was a plume of smoke followed by a short burst of flame and she disappeared into the long grass, never to be seen again. I was crestfallen but on the way home on my bicycle I passed two lads flying Control line planes. WOW! I got lots of info from them and bought my first Aeromodeller magazine and the rest, as they say is history. My Dad taught me how to use a fretsaw, to sharpen chisels, to solder and to respect my tools. Several i.c. engines were recieved as Christmas presents over the next few years and many control line stunters and combat models constructed from orange boxes and brown paper and dope covering.

Girls, marriage, a mortgage interfered and I had a bit of a break from modelling. My wife bought me a 3 channel Chart 'Horizon' R/C set and I was back building, mostly Semi Scale. Then another break while we reared and
educated 2 children. Model boat racing and model car racing we did as a family. Back then to aircraft which is a rather selfish pastime as I disappear to the shed and to the park on my own.

I am now retired and want to build my first proper scale model - rivets, panel lines, hinged cowl, sliding canopy and lights. And, I hope, give me the push I need to finish all the scale models I have started and abandoned due to a lack of confidence.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Think it's about time that I started to post something on here about my build. smiley

elev 1.jpg

I began with the elevators as I thought they would be an easy introduction to Denis Bryant's design. I made a new first rib from 1/4" as per the plan. I also cut the front spar to suit the height of the first rib down to the 1/4" tip.

elev 3.jpg

First photo - no flash; second with.

In between building the elevators and rudder I started to prepare the ribs and braces for the wings. I glued the 2 B1 and B3 pieces together.

dscf5960.jpg

The B1 balsa was brittle and the end started to break-up as I was planing it with the razor saw.

brittle balsa.jpg

I decided to remake the B1 brace from better balsa. I should have left the shavings - things look too clean. smiley

Looks good Eamonn, well done. And well spotted on the missing R1's, not noticed that

Still studying the plan for the best way to attack the wing. I am thinking of adding jigging legs to the trailing edge of the ribs. But the complex centre section looks like it need building into one wing and the other grafted onto this.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny. High praise indeed from the Master wink

Regarding the wing, I was thinking of proping up the rear spar. Each of the rib profiles has a datum line and I think that every third rib, or thereabouts, can be jigged.

Looking at the centre section, as you say, it will have to be built onto each wing as the lower spars and leading edge need to be trimmed away after joining. The wing cross section seems to be at rib 10 and doesn't help much and the centre section on the fus. side view is no help at all. Looks like a new adventure!

Eamonn.

Ah well if it was easy everybody would be at it..... oh they are

Yes I have added rib legs to all the inner ribs, but as you say they aren't needed that frequently outboard.

I guess I will cut some spars and see where the wood falls, you lot can all look on and go - "I wouldn't have done that!" crook

Once more into the breach!