Lamb & Chippys

A.A. Barry

Hi Colin, no I was just questioning if it was worth all the effort. It will alter the way the fairings fit, but saying that none of it fits anyway I think there will be more difference in the weight as you will be using depron so should be lighter? And you may not actually get near the stall if its that light

Barry I think you do need to look at what Alex has pointed out, not sure 3mm root and 8mm tip is right sorry about that. How does it look? It should have been 6mm root and 3mm tip, at the trailing edge, for a flat wing. Unless I have completely lost the plot? I prefer my tabs......

Cheers

Danny

For a flat wing those measurements would give a neg wash out or a wash in ( not nice) , In the past I have never built a wing with those parameters, yes is looks good , If any thing there is too much wash out, if I set up the root at + 3 incidence, as it requires, I will take a reading on the tip, I'm sure there will be a + wash out possibly 4 deg, I'll let ya's know,

Baa

Hi Danny. I'm influenced by the degree of "sort it out as you go along" that is evident from the experiences so far. The plan isn't precise in every area and this is why your guidance is so important to all of us. I'm not worried about the wing fairings, they're always a fiddle anyway but that's ok.

The plan is what you would expect from a "one-off" prototype and lacks detail accuracy and guidance. I think the comparisons with the Airsail kit are valid because that reflects a degree of development and detail thought that you would expect for a design that was going to be produced in some numbers.

Therefore I don't think what I am doing is going to take much longer and it's giving me a bit more certainty. I'm hoping to knock a bit of weight off and if so, as you say, it will reduce the stalling speed. For me, the slower it stalls the better, but at whatever speed it does so, I'd prefer it not to drop a wing. From what I read, the real one doesn't.

wing wash-out.jpgwing washout.jpgwing wash-out (2).jpgOk, it looks as tho young Danny is correct, "he still has the plot", I added bits of root false flap to the B4, and to the tip, with correct profiles, emulating the flappy bits, block up the centre section to 0 deg, transfered the meter to the tip, and behold +3 shows up ,now that is a little too much, and add to that + 3 on the Fuz = +6, so when the sheeting is applied, and the wing so flimsy it will easily be reduced by 1/2, so I will continue on with same sequence to the other panel ....surprise

I'm not sure whether the fuz incidence should be taken into account or not,with around 40 or so models scatch built, in the past I never have, so perhaps I have always got it wrong...dont know, but they have all flown great, and never had a "wing drop " yet

Pic's tell the story

It looks like in one of pic's the tip "spacer" s incorrect, BUT it's not

wing wash out.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 03/11/2014 01:36:00

I've been thinking about the flappy bit shrouds, ...1/16 sheet " 90 deg cross grain" to the T.E , as the wing is flimsy I might add another spar 1/8 x 1/8 med. balsa strip 30 mm from the T.E. + the shroud, I can then glue a complete sheet length ways down the wing, but laminated with .4 mm ply backed with 1 mm balsa, ply facing up, this will give the T.E some more strength, less flimsy and a nice continuous finish.... what do you think ??????dont know

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 04/11/2014 10:44:20

Yes thats cut into a triangle section and strengthens the shroud and also adds stiffnes to the trailing edge on the whole.

The underside of the flap/wing TE I created a sort of a shroud, though really its just 1/8 sq to bring the line of the trailing edge and the flap leading edge further aft. Just to create that step that is on the full size.

does that help or just further confuse? teeth 2

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/11/2014 21:53:16

John, I will be using Deluxe adhesive and L/weight cloth they supply with the gluey stuff, and then paint, the open areas will be covered in Sig koverall prior. I'll do the red trims in vynal sticky back decals, and that's about it, as for being "nearly finished", perhaps by Xmas .... maybe , and as for the glory bit, Nigel, no way...I'll leave that bit for otherssmile p

Cheers

B