Lamb & Chippys

A.A. Barry

The other side flap/ailerons done , now the U/C blocks, reading on "the build" someone commented of the fixing bolts that go though the ribs, hard landings the bolts may end up crushing the balsa/ ply ribs.... so I may eleviate that "maybe happening" by removing the balsa from between the ply, at the bolt fixing position and epoxy in a piece of 1/8" ply, if I had of noticed that at the start I could have built it in. I may not glue in the pieces until after the wire is bent and in situ, to allow the 1/8" ply holes to be drilled through, I will add some pic's

until then

Baa

I'm thinking hard about this. (I've noticed also a reference in the Airsail threads to moving it forward a touch as well because of a tendency to nose over, which I suppose is par for the course with this general type of aircraft.) I might alter mine, I might not. There's an awful lot of shock absorption in a torsion bar and it distributes the load very well, so it might not be a big issue.

You might be right Danny. I haven't looked to see how the Airsail u/c is set up. I've no doubt that regardless, the key to this is keeping a bit of power on during landing. One reason I chose the OS62 is that a 14x6 prop is a standard size for it, which is quite good for a 10cc motor, even a four stroke.

I might even do my u/c as plan, although perhaps not using the tin clips. However, I will be using the HK oleos, they look ok to me.

The position of the U/C is exactly as per plan, the ft. block has been cut into the ribs, so it should behave the same as if using the tin plate idea. Possible only downfall will be the fact that the wire locking pin will be drilled though the centre on the 2 blocks altho underneath the hole will be another short piece crossways, for the pin to go though and that will also be secured to R1 .

Baa

flap horn parts.jpgAfter studying the positioning of the control horns, I've made an management decision, to change the horn postions and have them coming out of the bottom of the flaps and ailerons, reason being that the planned exits are way to close to the ribs for me and also i am using separate servos and I'll need to have adjustment outside of the wing.

Ive added another rib and left-over F/G for the new horn, as the bottom of my flying surfaces is sheeted I had to cut into it and slip in the new bits, bit rough at the mo, but will clean up ok

Cheers

Baaflap  horn.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not a lot done on the chippy, lately, Kitchen to finish, 1 bedroom had a new ceiling, sheep to attend to and various other jobs, but back at it again, ... wing centre section underside....

I added another brace between ribs W1, to give the sheeting a little more substance to sit on... see pics

The Fuz rear wing fillets are a bit fiddly to fit, it all seems to rely on where the flaps sit

Baaa

chipmunk tail 003.jpgchipmunk tail 001.jpgHere is my rendition of the wing fairing, after setting the flaps at the "up" position I built the rear of the fillet to match up with the flaps, looks ok to me, the blue colour is auto spray putty, most of it ends up on the floor, now to the fin and rudder, my tailwheel will exist underneath the rudder hinge line. Using the wire to coupled up the rudder, the nyrod will drive that from the bottom, simple but not very scale chipmunk wing fillet.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another look at the plan shows a 1/4" infill behind formers 1 and 2 , I thought that laying the piece on top of the former bracing was a better bet, and instead of balsa, 1/8" ply would add a little bit more strength, using 15min epoxy.

I can fix the throttle servo to it and the onboard glow unit as well

Using a 4st, and no need for a muffler, the exhaust pipe can be directed away from these units, with the size of the cowl opening and the cowl gap on the bottom, there should be ample amount of cool air going past them.Iv'e coated that whole aera with F/G so as to stop fuel leakage soften up the wood and glue joints

Instrument dials are the next thing to find, any help?? thinking

Baa