Chipmunk found in Wigan

Charles Galloway

Advert

Looking really good Charles. Glass cloth is not so forgiving, rememebr it's very thin and you don't want to sand through it! So the surface needs to be as good as you would have it for tissue and dope for example. If there are areas that are low then that's not so bad. I like to glass cloth and then see to any imperfections with a filler, knowing I wont be sanding into the cloth. Hi Spots and gaps need sorting before glassing.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Charles looks great, you worry me following what I do, I reckon you are just as good at this as me, so please if you think there is another way then please shout out?

I cannot see in your picture a hole in the far side of your batt box, will your cells go in okay?

Also when you do the top hinges, don't make the top joint too tight, it needs room to swing. A little radius on the panels is not seen but works wonders too. It will be tightest at the midpoint between the hinges.

I also added a hole in the top cowl bearer to pass cables across to the other side where the reciever will be fitted

Cheers

Danny

Nice build Charles - still watching!

Re the battery box - if you do a mock up be aware that published battery sizes should be taken with a pinch of salt and always allow a good margin. I electrified my DB Sport and Scale Tiger Moth a few years ago and built the battery box following the spec on the suppliers site. When I got the Lipos - guess what too big! crying So go carefully until you have the lipos in your hand or someone can give you the exact size.

Keep it up!

Terry

dscn2203.jpgManaged to get an opening cowling fitted. Danny's locking system works superbly and is so neat when it's closed.

I'm just going to use small wheel collets to lock the springs rather than trying to solder ( the collets in the pic are too big, but I didn't have anything smaller).

My gap at the centre is a bit wider than I would have liked, I took a bit too much off when rounding the edges!

Got to do the bottom fixings now.

dscn2206.jpg

Thanks Danny.

I haven't decided on a scheme yet. The only photos I have access to at the moment are the ones linked to on this site. It's something I need to decide upon soon.

Not sure about the canopy. It's not something I've been happy about on other models, but a sliding one might just be a step too far for me. I think I'll watch yours and then decide.

I think I will just solartex the whole wing rather than glass/ solartex as you are doing. I really have learned a lot so far doing this model, but don't want to push my luck.

Cheers,

Charles.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry to say that I've decided to shelve the Chippy for the moment at least.

I came to do a final assembly before covering and found that the TE of the rear fairings were not level, also looking along the line of the wings one of the panels has a pronounced bow in it so that the ailerons/flaps don't line up. I really don't know why I didn't spot the problems earlier but I really feel deflated and can't face building another wing.

I've put it in the loft for now and will do something else until I hopefully have a burst of enthusiasm.

Thanks to all, especially Danny for his encouragement and tips. I've learned a lot from this, so all isn't wasted.

Looking forward to seeing some completed models.

Charles.