£99.00  Sea Fury

£8.00  HXT 9610 Retract servo

£15.00  HXT 5010 servos 6 @ £2.50

£25.00  TR 5065 - 350 motor

£5.50  Super Simple 50A ESC

£8.00 Corona Dual Conversion Rx

£2 4" spinner

£10 High voltage BEC

£60.00  8 x A123 M1 cells (I allready had these)

Total = £172   

£222 if you include the A123 cells

For a 120 sized warbird thats pretty good

Advert

you will of course need ancillary bits and pieces, a suitable charger around £60 and a leisure battery, £50 - £100, bits of cable, connetcors etc etc.

But yes its very straightforward to operate and gives you something different if you normally fly IC.

Nice evening? Tx and a charged model in the car and you are flying 5 mins after arriving at the field, it is a very convenient way to go flying

Well, you know I have been tempted, but frankly, I love the way it flys and sounds with the four stroke engine.

Mine comes in at around 8.5lb AUW, but I do have several batteries for electrics, and the springairs added a bit of weight too. I reckon if you "build from scratch" and design for electric from the start, you could shed a bit of weight and probably get it down to 7.5- 8lb depending on whether you use LiPo or M1s.

If you want to see more of the mods I did, ask - but I think we should start another thread rather than hijack Dannys ! 

MMMM my building board was about to be covered with a Bob Holman laser cut set of parts for a Brian Taylor  P-51 Electric of course!! Wonder if I could squezze in another quick cheap eletrification and re-paint, that tailplane looks awfully large for my liking though. I Could have sold my Fury today a half dozen times

Is it worth having a quick surf to see how much my chums at Leeds model centre are doing the Spit for

Guys I have hijacked enough of your threads its only fair.......

Danny is correct in that the motor is not ideal, however I reckon on say 4 or 5 cells ( LiPo ) that motor might be OK I found that mine flys best on the 13 X 8 at roughly 9000 RPM WOT. I actually tried a 14 x 7 hoping that the climb would be better, and the top speed slightly lower and perhaps more scale, but when I actually flew it...it just kinda felt wrong - I switched back to the 13 x 8 after 2 test flights. She does tend to get her tail up quite quickly on the take off run, and the 14" prop gets awfull close to the ground. This will depend of course on the length of your undercarriage legs, but I made mine up myself incorporating home made oleos and lateral torsion springing to suit our grass strip, and kept them quite short.

THEORETICALLY.... on 5 good capacity LiPo cells that motor should swing at around 11000 RPM but once loaded with a 13 or 14 inch prop will probably drop to around 9500 or so. You may even be better with a 4s pack.

I am using a 4s 6400 mahr pack on a 400Kv motor in an 8.5lb Sopwith Camel @ around 8lb AUW, but swinging a large 16 x 10 prop for nice slow scale speed.

Theoretically again, A 7" prop at 8000 RPM will give a speed of 53 MPH. and an 8" at same RPM will be 61MPH

Hi Timbo, following a chat with Bob Partington and seeing John Ransons set up at the weekend I tried a much higher pitch prop than normal, a 17 x 12 on my Hurricane, and in strong winds I flew for 3 minutes and only used 773mah so up the pitch a bit you may find some surprising results at partial throttle.

Just need better weather to test........11,000 rpm dizzy numbers LOL

If you have any 2s packs, you could always couple them up in series, and also 1 x 3 and 1 x 2 of course gives you a 5s for trials too. Even if the capacity is low it would do as a test - then , when you decide which is best.... buy some large capacity jobs. I use 2 x 3200 4s in parallel for the Camel, which will give me very long flight times - the weight is no problem as it needs ballast anyway! Because of this... I may well end up using A123s....or even ( speaks in hushed tones ) - NiMh !!

Hi Danny.... interesting.... what did the extra pitch do to your already overworked ESC

Hi Timbo, this was the Hurricane so plenty of room for increasing the amperage. But judging by the amount of energy used it decreased the load once the airframe was moving. I was able to fly at about third throttle and have good airspeed, slower prop more efficient. And don't think I didn't catch that little comment....... You put NiMh's in your camel and you are off my Christmas list...........

Shaun be careful if you use smaller capacity packs as Timbo suggests, it will put you in the ballpark, you will be find however the higher capacity packs will hold their voltage better under higher loads so with higher capacity cells the performance should be even better, not so much volts drop.

sounds like another great thread??

Ah... sorry thought it was the Sea Fury  - could it  be because this is the sea fury thread ? LOL

I mentioned the NiMhs simply because I have a box full of 4000 mahr puffin hiflow cells here, and they need a home - the Camel comes with a huge ballast box, and it is common for peeps to put in up to 1.5 lb of lead ! Yikes

Now dont know about you but I hate the thought of adding dead weight and avoid it like the proverbial, having the cells already, and feeling the credit crunch at the moment ( my company pension does NOT increase at the same pace as fuel, gas, electric, food, etc etc !! ) buying yet more rather pricey A123s is not an option

Good point about the low capacity cells, and yes I was only suggesting a quick burst to get a feel for the right cell count / prop size before splashing the cash on "proper batteries ". I usually calculate Lipos at 3.5V average under load however the Camels 2 x 3200 packs hold a whopping 3.9V each at WOT pulling 42A on a 16 x 10, giving 600 watts static for around 70 watts per pound, and an estimated 15 - 20 mins flight time.

• 2 weeks later...