Auster Plan

Has anyone got the good and hopefully detailed scale plan of the Auster J1 Autocrat?....the one I am looking for is the 71" wing span Auster by a designer called G. Ritchie, plan Number RSQ1516. I am trying in vain to locate a copy of the plan, it is supposedly available from 'MyHobbyStore' but there is some confusion as they have two listed and they do not show the model at all... just a photo of the full size aircraft! I emailed them to ask for further information some weeks ago but had no response So I would like to know what the construction is like whether it is scale or semi-scale before I consider trying to get hold of a copy of the plan.

I have been trying in vain to see the plan or the built up model on the internet without success so if anyone has this one in their stash I would be grateful to know how detailed it actually is. My intention is to do a detailed static model of the Auster J1 of about 36" span so the one mentioned above scaled down sounds like it would be just the job.

MyHobbyStore list two Auster J1 plans at two different prices!

This one **LINK**

Also this one **LINK**

Both have the same description which is no help so I have emailed them to see if they can explain the confusion. There was a time when plans were easy to buy and at reasonable prices but not so these days. The warning that no returns are allowed makes me wary at the moment Undecided it is the G. Ritchie one I am after not the Dave Boddington one so will see if they get back to me but having no reply to my first email not too confident they will. The second email yielded an automated reply that I would get a reply within two working days…that was last Friday so not looking too good is it.sad

Advert

Posted by Bridon on 30/10/2014 16:44:19:. There was a time when plans were easy to buy and at reasonable prices but not so these days.

Amen to that thumbs up Reasonable prices used to make it perfectly feasible to buy plans just to see whether you might fancy building them, or purely for the pleasure of perusing them. Those days are very long gone so I don't blame you at all for checking this out before placing an order

And as for some of the plan descriptions and ease of identification, don't get me started. angry 2 The x-list in particular is a disgrace - a treasure trove of plans that are barely even categorized, never mind described, that you therefore don't dare take a punt on unless you're 100% sure you can remember what it is you're buying. That's a very big ask given the age of some of them

The upside is that whenever I've had a query MHS have always resolved it, so I'm sure they'll be able to confirm the answer to your q

Bridon, I dug out the Summer 1986 edition of RC Scale Aircraft that has a short article on the Auster J1 that was designed by George B. Richie. The plan, RSQ 1516, is a three sheet, highly detailed plan which is 'full of sketches, intricate details and every item of information needed to build a superb scale replica'. The model is to 1/6th scale, spans 71inches and is for .30 to .60 cu. ins. engines. David Boddington was the Editor at that time and he says of the model 'There are scale modellers and scale modellers. The Auster J1N plan submitted here represents the pinnacle of scale modelling where the subject has been researched extremely thoroughly, construction of the model has been developed to follow full-size.' He also says 'Building this Auster is not for a scale modeller in a hurry'.

The small plan scrap view shows a highly detailed plan with scale construction from piano wire frames. David Boddington suggests that the plan can be used to build a simplified version.

Hope this helps, Eamonn.yes

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the anticipated reply from MHS Ian....I do hope I hear sometime soon. Also thank you Eamonn for that insight about the model. Piano Wire frames sounds as if the designer has scaled down the welded tube construction which sounds quite a challenge...makes me all the more determined to try and locate a copy now.

Maybe someone reading this might have a copy tucked away that they would be willing to part with. smiley

anyway, I will report back as and if I get a reply to my email from MHS but at the moment I am feeling shades of the old plan business Nexus a few years ago when I had all sorts of problems internally leaving many modellers high and dry for several weeks...I do hope not.

Both plans show G Ritchie as the designer and only the prefix is different not the number so it's sure to be the same plan. If the plan turns up and is not as described then the Trades Description Act should get you a refund despite MHS small print.

• 3 years later...

Well I have got the Summer 86 RCSA with the 'article' but it won't help you much! Basically it says the plan has so much info on it that an article is not needed!

There is a set of scale 3 views of an Autocrat in that issue but not of an Aiglet.

• 2 weeks later...

This feels like an invitation to say hello to the forum - please excuse the thread hijack. In my winter quarters in Romania I have been building this Taylorcraft to the Earl Stahl rubber ff plan. Its not an rc build, but once back home, (Australia), and more settled, (we live on a boat, now for sale), with a workshop, I plan to apply some scale to this plan and build an electric rc conversion. I seem to have a thing about Taylorcrafts and Austers, 1a6b956c-673a-4fdb-94de-6ecd1bf7923c.jpegand this thread gives me a colour scheme! Its been interesting building in Romania, not all materials are easily sourced, eg the landing gear had to be bent up from a whisk as I could not find piano wire. I am sure a rubber motor is out there somewhere, but at the moment all I can find is a box of the little coloured bands. All the best to the great builders and flyers on this great forum, Jeff (an ex-pat kiwi living in Romania, soon to be heading home to Australia).

• 3 weeks later...

Taylorcraft6.jpegMine is finished to the extent I could make it so before I left it in Romania on my return to Australia on June 30. I left it with a friend who will hang it up and not try to fly it because it is built a bit wonky.