very new

trebor

Just logged on this morning, I am a total novice thinking about having a go. I made a few rubber powered models years ago but nothing since. What I would like to know is a rough cost of membership fees and insurance for flying just to give me an idea. My main interests are ww1 planes and slope soaring, but for now just an idea of what a realistic cost of this hobby is.

Advert

My club charges £75 a year which includes BMFA membership and thus also your insurance.

As to the cost of the hobby? how long is a piece of string? Seriously though you should be up in the air for a couple of hundred pounds and quite a bit less if you are happy with secondhand equipment.

There are some quite capable cheap radio set ups available these days.

If you want to go the IC route small engines dont fetch much secondhand these days as more and more people convert to electric flight.

As always with this kind of post I would recomend joining a local club.

Hi and welcome

The BMFA (**LINK**) has a club finder function that may help you get in contact with a local group here - **LINK**

Virtually all clubs will be very accommodating to new members and offer a great deal of help, advice and flying instruction as part of the club thing

Don't start out with a WW1 type aircraft, start off with a trainer - whether that be stinky smelly noisy messy outdated IC or Electric is a personal choice

If you are going the club route then its probably best to make contact before you buy anything to make sure what you buy is compatible with a potential instructor and a lot of clubs will offer a couple of experience flights as well

Be warned however aero modelling is slightly more adictive than heroine!!! (but much better)

Hi Trebor and welcome!

"Don't start out with a WW1 type aircraft, start off with a trainer - whether that be stinky smelly noisy messy outdated IC or Electric is a personal choice"

Dave, just because it's stinky, smelly, noisy, messy and outdated doesn't mean it's not the way forward laugh. BTW I fly and enjoy both.

But whatever discipline ultimately floats your boat (or flies your plane I suppose) you need to start with a trainer.

Shaunie.

welcome from me trebor...............I would say if you are intending to give it a go properly-I would say for your first attempt/equipment-a budget of £3-400.00 for your first years campaign and then the world is your oyster..... if you have loads of dosh you can really spend as much as you want and go on and on....... but if you are of limited funds you may find you buy/build once twice a year..... whichever option you will have a load of fun...which you cant put a price on...keep tuned in to the forum here-and Don't buy anything until you are certain it fits the bill/ticks the box's...

ken Anderson...ne...1 welcome/words of wisdom dept.

Hi Trebor, welcome to the forum. I second all the above advice, also a trainer is the way forward for learning to fly. As Cliff says, you can spend lots or far less. If you are near a club, go along to see what equipment they are using, such as mode1 or mode2 etc. Cheers

Thanks for the advise, I understand about getting a trainer or something that is going to take a bashing but on these cold dark nights I could be getting prepared for next year wink Just reading through some build threads on here I have found another use for plaster board. This is the stuff I need to learn, what tools, best place to get them. I live just outside Southampton if that helps.

Not sure about electric motors, I like the smell of petrol.

Hi trebor, my local clubs charge approx £35 for membership plus a similar amount if you need BMFA membership too (BMFA automatically gives you good quality insurance cover)

To buy a reasonable trainer plane and radio system can be as low as £70 plus postage for the Bixler from Hobbyking

bix 1 and 2.jpg

The one on the right is the Bixler 2. The latest version is the Bix3 which has had money added to it and is just slightly bigger. The previous version Bixler v1.1 is cheaper and is slightly smaller.

I learned to fly with a Bixler 2 last year. It's forgiving and easy to fly after you've had some instruction. Plus, it's easy to repair after you had a 'moment' and forgot what you learned.

The ones mentioned are all RTF (ready to fly) models with radio, battery charger and one battery included. More batteries are required if you want to fly again quickly, as they can take 1 to 2 hours to recharge. Your instructor will advise you of that stuff if you opt to go to a club or have a good friend to help out.

The Bixlers are belly landers, so best on grass or soft surfaces. If you intend to fly from a hard surface like a car park ,trainer models with wheels are obviously available and can be cheaper or dearer.

Hope this sort of thing helps. face 23

I've never had a fuel powered engine in any model, including RC cars that I raced on and off for 30 years before now. It's good to hear that you're sounding sensible and preparing for next year. But if you find a club in the meantime, maybe they'll have a trainer plane and will give you a chance to have a go on the sticks after an instructor takes it up for you! It's addictive, so get ready!!! wink 2

Edited By Chuck Plains on 08/11/2014 14:11:25

Edited By Chuck Plains on 08/11/2014 14:11:56

A slightly different option is to build a basic airplane shape out of foam board and install electrics yourself. I was inspired to actually start because I saw how relatively easy and cheap it is to go that way

Have fun watching some videos and stuff about RC trainer planes and DIY foam builds on Youtube. Also, of course, RC flight simulation is a big help and not too expensive either. I did have a few hours on a sim before I started flying properly.

I would suggest you don't bother with any transmitter that is not programmable - expo is very useful for taming any plane. The DX6i is available by itself for around £80 (search on google), and compatible receivers such as the Orange DSM types for around £10 (Hobby King). Also make sure it is 2.4 GHz - it cannot interfere with other models that way.

I got my son a cheaper transmitter but regretted it, he needed expo to steady his trainer. I ended up getting him a DX6i and we sold the other on ebay. Some of the guys in the club who have been flying for decades use the DX6i, so it is a tranny that will do you for more advanced models too. There are other good cheapish ones too, but I would recommend you only get programmable ones - you may regret it otherwise in a few months or so.

Edited By GrahamWh on 08/11/2014 21:52:32

Posted by trebor on 09/11/2014 00:25:42:

Programable tx and the dx6i it's all confusing to me at the moment surprise

Yes, it will be, and while this forum is a good place to be, its NOT the place to sort your initial needs out.

You have a choice to make that will affect EVERYTHING else:-

1. Are you going to self teach and fly from a legal public place (do you even have one available?)

2. Are you going to join a Club?

I strongly suggest the latter from your questions so far and nil experience.

Go to :-

**LINK**

which is the Southern BMFA (national body for the sport) site and proves the below club is affliliated and a good first choice for contact.

**LINK**

Contact them, go there by arrangement when an Instructor or two is available, and take it from there.

Do come back here to discuss and let us know how you get on!

Edited By Dave Bran on 09/11/2014 06:08:44

Morning Trebor tea

Don't spend any money yet!!

Have a read at this.

Then go round to your nearest flying clubs, introduce yourself. Any club worth their salt will greet you with a friendly welcome...if not move on to the next one. Take an interest in what the fliers are doing ask questions and get stuck in. The club should have a club trainer which you should be able to have a go on. Enjoylaugh

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 08/11/2014 12:54:09:

Don't start out with a WW1 type aircraft, start off with a trainer - whether that be stinky smelly noisy messy outdated IC or Electric is a personal choice

Sorry but without wanting to spoil the thread What an absolutely pointless addition Dave?

Edited By Justin K. on 09/11/2014 08:03:03

How can I find out about a legal public place is there a list somewhere ? Didn't realise you can take yourself off for a quick flying session, thought you were limited to club days and a flying schedule. Does this mean if I get affiliated through a club for BMFA the insurance cover would not cover me taking off on my own for a quick spin / session ?

This thread HERE will give you some idea how tangled up in knots councils can become and the threat of the NIMBY gorilla movement.

It only takes one complaint from a narrow minded, %{^{{*{%{#+€$, individual to ruin a perfectly quiet, unassuming local flying club.

Keep to a club where you should be safe. According to the CAA a plane is a plane. It doesn't matter if it's a paper dart or a 747. Flying in a field somewhere on your own? Fine. Just be aware if you have an accident with person or property then how can you prove you were acting in a safe manner. According to Air Navigation Order Articles 55 &56. And Civil Air Proceedure 658.

Not trying to put you off here just making sure you know what your responsibilities are.

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 09:23:18

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 09:26:07

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 09:29:08

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 09:32:04

Hi Trebor , get yourself into a club first & then go from there. Once you get going you may realise the places you had in mind for a quick session are not really suitable.

Public parks etc are ok in principle but when you have dog walkers , kids , footballs etc to contend with it soon becomes apparent that a proper site is often the best option.