DigiFleet Servos on a JR 2610

GSF 7274

Hi All,

As a relitave newbie to RC flight I am just about to graduate onto my 2nd model (Kyosho Calmato Sports)

I am trying not to cannibalise my primary trainer to get the new one flying so would like advise on servos.

I have a (brought new when I was 16 and used twice) DigiFleet PCM radio complete with 8 x FPS 17 servo's. Like most I dont have botomless pockets and so was wondering what opinions were on me using these redundant servo's in the new plane on my JR 2610. I have fitted a JR plug and hooked it up and it seems to work ok (I just hate throwing things away!)

Am I being stupid thinking of this???

Edited By GSF 7274 on 17/11/2014 08:36:27

Edited By GSF 7274 on 17/11/2014 08:37:29

Advert

As I say they seem to work ok and they were top notch back in the 80's/90's so presumably they are up to the job provided they are compatible with the modern receivers. I would feel pretty dumb if I were to bury the new plane because the servo's had some unforseen issues. Knowing that there are still users of these antiques is encouraging!

Does anyone still fly their Fleet systems? What happened to DigiFleet?

Posted by GSF 7274 on 17/11/2014 10:19:35:

What happened to DigiFleet?

Unfortunately Derek Olley died and there was no one to continue the business. By that time software-based computer transmitters were becoming the norm and Derek wasn't a really a software man so some feel that possibly Fleet Controls had run its course. It would have needed a considerable investment to compete with the big names in the computer tranny market.
Cheers
Phil

Phil, Derek and his business partner Ernie Strutt sold the business as they wanted to retire. Unfortunately the new owner was unable to continue with the investment you rightly say was required. Sadly Derek, who was one of the small band of British R/C pioneers in the 1960s, passed away soon after the sale. Happily, Ernie, who is my father-in-law, is still with us.

The last Fleet sets (the Omega models) were "computer" radios, albeit with a multiple LED interface rather than a screen, which would have been too expensive. They were well featured, with 10 model memories when Futaba only offered 4 (at about twice the price!). The software was written by a clever chap called Mark Agate, who has contributed to this forum from time to time.

I still have an Omega set, although I fly mostly on 2.4 these days. I won't part with it though. As well as the personal connection, its branding is a happy reminder of my entry to this great hobby, when the likes of Skyleader, Sprengbrook, Flight Link, RCS, Macgregor etc. were the sets you saw at the field, with not a far-eastern set in sight!

• 6 months later...

I bought my first Digifleet set (XP/FM) in 1986 during a visit to the shop. After some discussion with Derek about what would best meet my requirements he handed me an empty box and let me pack it with all the bits I wanted from the bins and trays of parts. During this time a customer came in with a servo problem i seem to recall, and had it fixed on the spot, by Ernie I think, at no cost. Where else would you get service like that these days? Any queries I had later were always answered very promptly and the turnaround time was spectacularly fast.

It is quite easy to use other manufacturers servos on a Digifleet receiver. The pins are all 0.1" spacing and you simply swap them around. Using Digifleet servos with other receivers really requires a change of plug because the Digifleet plug (AMP type and still available) is chunkier and has two guides for correct orientation.

In its day the Fleet gear was way ahead of the Far East plastic stuff, which was styled like ghetto blasters. I too have an Omega, along with several other Digifleet sets, and only changed to JR because of the lack of a screen to set up models.

Lippeats bought over Fleet and after initially continuing to supply some items, the Digifleet name slipped away quietly. Before Derek passed away he put together a compatibility list for use when mixing and matching with other manufacturers gear. I still have this if there is any interest.

• 1 month later...