Taking the FPV plunge...

Good morning all,

As the festive period is approaching, I have been pestered for ideas and was hit by a thunderbolt, not literally, when I saw a brief you tube clip on FPV.

I liked what I saw and have found this kit available on ebay from Storm Trade RC and good old Bruce from RC Model Reviews recommended these to beef up reception. They are available from Hobbyking but from HK and having been stung by import and the risk of problems and having returns, Storm RC claim to be in the UK and are a top rated seller with only .1% negative feedback. Unless you know better!!

I have yet to fully read up on the subject with regards to rules but has anyone got these or indeed make a recommendation of a brand of kit??
Regards.

Hi SC,

I've not used them, but the Teleporters are quite a low resolution, and may be too low for you to pick out important detail when wearing them. If you're just dipping your toe into FPV and not certain if you'll stay doing it, these may be fine. Otherwise, look at something with a higher resolution - perhaps the FatShark Predator or Dominators.

Also, there is no mention on the power of the video TX - legally (if I remember correctly) should be about the 25mW range on 5.8GHz. Also, I'd swap those rubber ducky antennae for some circularly polarized versions, akin to these **LINK**

This will give you better interference rejection and higher gain than the dipoles, resulting in better range when flying.

I'm a numpty and didn't follow your second link, sorry.  Yes use skew-planars and pinwheels for sure, but the goggles...maybe stretch a little more to get a better image.

I hope this helps!

Edited By Andy Meade on 21/11/2014 12:04:35

Thanks John, the intention is to mount the camera on my BFG 2600 glider to provide a stable platform. The model will always be in line of sight.

Having just re-read the blurb on my Mobious camera, it's up to the job of FPV so I may just plough mu cash at this point into the best goggles I can afford.

I am presently looking at the Fat Shark Dominator.

Edited By Spice Cat on 22/11/2014 09:48:41

I've taken the plunge too, just ordered these from HobbyKing:

fpv.jpg

This comparison chart by FatShark is useful and reveals the latest FPV offering from Horizon Hobby is the base model.

I went with the Attitude V2 as I've read, via a few sources, the top model DominatorHD have some early design issues that are still being tweaked and transmitting in HD quality is currently more costly and a tad more difficult to achieve reliably. Another factor is the extra cost of the Dominator HD for resolution that I probably won't achieve yet. Interesting that FatShark's definintion of HD is 800x600 and not 1280x720

The final seal on the deal was an email from David Windestål saying that the Attitude V2 are his current favourite and personal weapon of choice.

Hopefully with a consumer Oculus Rift not far away (a year or so), we will be using those next (as some already are!)

Edited By Allan Bowker on 26/11/2014 14:24:19

My good lady wife has apparently been saving for Christmas God bless her. So I can now splash out a bit. I am after a set of Fatshark dominator V2 goggles from the FPV website.

In the meantime sorry to keep posting like this, but I found this video on YouTube. If you ignore the somewhat dodgy moments, it's incredible stuff.

Posted by Allan Bowker on 26/11/2014 14:22:37:

I've taken the plunge too, just ordered these from HobbyKing:

fpv.jpg

This comparison chart by FatShark is useful and reveals the latest FPV offering from Horizon Hobby is the base model.

I went with the Attitude V2 as I've read, via a few sources, the top model DominatorHD have some early design issues that are still being tweaked and transmitting in HD quality is currently more costly and a tad more difficult to achieve reliably. Another factor is the extra cost of the Dominator HD for resolution that I probably won't achieve yet. Interesting that FatShark's definintion of HD is 800x600 and not 1280x720

The final seal on the deal was an email from David Windestål saying that the Attitude V2 are his current favourite and personal weapon of choice.

Hopefully with a consumer Oculus Rift not far away (a year or so), we will be using those next (as some already are!)

Edited By Allan Bowker on 26/11/2014 14:24:19

Allan I looked at that set by the video Tx is 250mW, I thought that 25mW was the limit in UK/EU, but i must admit I am somewhat confused about this as several UK sites sell 25 mW (EU approved sets) and 200+mW sets, but it's not clear when you have to use the lower powered Tx or if it's OK to use the higher powered video Tx's for FPV.

Yes Frank, 25mW wasn't an option for me as the system is bundled with a 250mW transmitter.
The additional cost of a 25mW transmitter is relatively low compared to what I've saved in buying from Hong Kong.

If I haven't of saved over £100 I would have gladly purchased in the UK, it's too big a saving for me to ignore.

Hi Joe & Alan,

I have asked an Optician friend about this. He said that you will only need the minus lenses if you need glasses for distant viewing. He said that if you need glasses for reading the eyes will cope because you are focusing on a distant object.

I am awaiting delivery of THIS set from HobbyKing International. I use NEED glasses for reading and did not want to spend a lot of money to find I could not focus on the screen, or worse, get dizzy while flying. sad

Hope this helps.

Eamonn.

If anyone wants to get into FPV and don't want to spend big bucks on Goggles, take a look at this from Hobbyking. Good enough to get a good experience, cheap enough that if its not for you then you haven't spent a fortune on Goggles. It's also possible to wear your normal glasses - unlike wearing FatShark Goggles.

Personally after using Goggles for a while, I'm tempted to go back to a screen on a tripod. Better picture, no risk of burning the screen with sunlight (like you can on FS goggles) and if you're using it as a 'viewing aid' screen you don't necessarily need a spotter with you legally when flying.

Si.