Phase 6 ballast

I've just joined a club which has a slope site so I'd like to try a Phase 6 I was given some years ago. I've refurbished it but I could do with some advice on flying weights please. That's a bit of a vague statement I know but I have no idea what it will cope with at different wind strengths. I have done a bit of soaring years ago but that was only with a 2-channel Flair Fledgling.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Graham

Advert

The one I sold earlier this year weighed 1670g. It had the "pro" symetrical section wing, I never used any ballast. It flew well enough, needed a decent breeze but could handle fairly strong winds. I think the non-symetrical section wing has a much wider speed range, definitely will fly in lighter winds & can probably handle stronger winds as well.

IMO there are better options than the P6 around these days.

Hi Graham,

The Phase 6 is a well proven all-rounder and Ive built and flown many over the years - assuming it is of average weight and it has the Sports wing (semi sym section) if your hill is a proven slope site it will fly in anything between 10 and 50mph winds no problem at all...

It is a little 'overwinged' in my opinion - so in high wind conditions adding a bit of ballast over the CoG isnt a bad idea to increase the wing loading, but if its built as per plan with an elevator pushrod running through the wing bay you wont be able to fit big slugs of ballast - some carefully tailored sheet lead could be used to 'line' the fuselage floor and sides though.

But the ballast isn't essential - it will go well enough unballasted. Even with the weight added, it will never be as quick as the glass mouldies you may encounter on the slope, the wing section wont allow that and any amount of ballast won't turn it into something it can never be. Enjoy your P6 - they are a great model!

Hi Graham

TBH, I wouldn't bother trying to add any further weight to the model, unless you need it to correct the COG.

The P6, although sleek looking, isn't a speed model and is designed for aerobatics. If it has the symetrical wing. it should penetrate well enough in all but the strongest of winds anyway.

Personally, I would leave it as it is.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

I also have one of these which I have flown in all sorts of winds. I ballast by adding lead over the top of the wing and securing with fibreglass tape and rubber bands. I find it needs ballast and flies much better in anything over 30mph. I didn't use the plastic bolt method as it is prone to breaking just behind the wing. So I have lined the fuselage with loads of resin and fibreglass.

Also the C of G shown on the plan is too far forward. Needs to move back for a better flight. If you move it right back it will fly in winds under 10mph.

Great model and I agree with Phil the semi symmetrical wing is by far the best for light winds. You can more or less do any aerobatics with it. Enjoy

My experience is that the Phase-6 behaves perfectly well without ballast in winds you cant stand up in.
Mine has the semi-symmetrical wing and last time out at Callow it was peaking 65mph measured by SteveBB.
No probs other than holding onto it for launching, Big fun for anyone like me who cant afford a mouldie!

Cheers
Phil

• 2 weeks later...