D/R and Expo settings

trebor

Total flying novice here, looking to start setting up radio for mixes of d/r and expo settings. Can you recommend a couple of mixes for the Ailerons, Elevators and Rudder to get me started for a safe flying experience that is after I have worked out how to program them in sad. Is it possible to program all three into one 3 position switch ? Or will I need a switch for Ailerons, another for Elevators and Rudder making 3 switches in total dont know I have a Spectrum radio if that helps. Ideally I would like one switch set at position 0 as standard, position 1 at 75%, position 2 at 50%. You can tell I,m confused.

Advert

If you are flying a trainer model then you do not need any expo at all. Setting the rates is not done with the % movement on the tranny but by checking the deflection of the control surface and adjusting the radio to get the desired movement. For example you could get the same movement on the surface by using 100% rates and a small arm on the servo or with 50% rates and a long arm. A long arm however will give a slightly sharper response than the small arm.

As for switches you can have one switch per control surface or all together. I use individual switches for ele/aile and never bother with rudder rates as my models are mostly sport/scale.

Which radio do you have and what model are you flying?

Before you even look at dual rates, expo or end point setup ensure you get your control surfaces as close to the recommended settings mechanically. That is done by - set all throw/end point adjustments to 100% then by using the appropriate holes in the servo arms and control horns get the control throws near enough. Then fine tune using servo throw/EPA.

As mentioned you need not worry about expo on a trainer but it may be worth using dual rates set at say 70 - 75% on ail and elevator.

I wouldn't worry about rates and expo on your WOT Trainer to start off with. Just make sure the control surface throws are as specified in the instructions and it will be fine. Most beginners don't realise how sensitive the controls actually are at first - they tend to over-control, so go really gentle to begin with. Small movements of the sticks is the name of the game.

Once you got used to the feel of a "straight" model, then is the time to think about experimenting with a little expo etc. You need to discover what a basic model "feels" like first.

BEB

I think what you may need are "Rates" where you can set a switch on the Tranny to limit the servo movement according to the rate set, for instance if your total aileron deflection is 20mm either way, then setting a 50% rate would restrict the movement to 10mm either way, making its responsiveness to aileron control input much less

I usually set up three rates, 50%, 75% and 100%

Exponentials change the way the servo responds to control stick movement, making the centre portion of the stick less sensitive and the upper extremes of movement more sensitive for instance

Mixes are when a deflection of one control surface also prompts a movement on another, classic example are flaps where a amount of down elevator is mixed in to prevent nose pitch up when the flaps are deployed without the elevator control stick moving at all

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 01/12/2014 11:34:34