January 2015 Issue feedback and chat

Dai Fledermaus

Posted by Andy48 on 06/01/2015 19:06:09:

Not necessarily. Static tests show that the thrust produced is far from linear due to various effects. For instance motor efficiency is not constant throughout.

Is this really off topic? I though part of this discussion was about Graham's article.

We're discussing power vis current not the linearity of static thrust.
What has motor efficiency got to do with your POV ?

I thought Graham's article had been done to death & the rest of the mag virtualy ignored.

Advert

Um, sorry, YOU were discussing power v current, I was responding to Lee's comments. In relation to your comment, there is the effect of the internal resistance of the battery which will affect linearity of the system. You are also assuming that the external resistance of the circuit, ie the motor, remains linear, which again it doesn't.

If Graham's article has been done to death then why did you bother to contribute?

I'm a bit late picking up this month's copy, but I think it's a fairly well balanced issue. I especially like the article(s) on the Bristol Freighter as I'm of a certain age(!?), and the very unusual Icon A5. As I've a PKZ Sport Cub I even found the float conversion article of use and being a part time glider guider I always enjoy the silent flight articles/reviews. Finally, I'd like to chuck in my two-penneth on an issue that's been bugging me for a while: Is it really necessary to include free plans all the time? I'd sooner pay slightly less for the magazine than have plans I'll never build and that just get recycled (sorry designers, no offence intended). Is it perhaps worth holding a new poll to see what the general concensus is on this suggestion? It'd certainly be one less headache for the editorial team.

Bill - good point on the plans, though they are good for lining the cat litter trays. However I suspect that eliminating them wouldn't result in much of a reduction in the price.

Oddly enough I had decided to drop my subscription after november and december's issues but this one had enough content for me to change my mind, despite the excessive quad cover. Rather than using the renew subscription link I opted to take out a new sub, well worth it as I now have some very useful Perma-grit tools to play withwink. I also liked the Freighter articles, I still remember spending hours loading and unloading Matchbox cars onto my Airfix kit version as a pre-teen.

If it were not for electric I would be excluded from the hobby, I have no garage or suitable outhouse in which to store IC aircraft or fuel. I really would not consider storing these in the house (I don't think the Boss would let me). I have learned to fly over the past six months at my local club, and they have on occasion let me fly the club IC model, but I am committed to electric for the reason previously stated. Each of us has our own opinions and reasons for the models we buy whether it is IC/Electric/RTF/Quad/or other. Fortunately for me there is no real debate at my club as to which is best, only that the members enjoy the friendship and flying experiences all types are welcome. I have 3 foam RTF?ARTF models, and have successfully built and flown two traditional build models with a third on the bench and at least two others waiting to be built.