Bonjour de France

Hi all, after reading RCM&E for years, what a pleasant surprise to find a website and forum. I'm a Brit living in South west France and have managed to join a local club here at the airport. Been flying different types for 25 odd years and now just venturing into electric flight with an Extremeflight Edge 540T, very interesting flight characteristics, ground has hit it twice and a large poplar almost wrote it off but happily, bit of cyno etc and its still flying.

Also have electric heli and Moskito nitro heli.......decided though to sell these as too difficult to fly. Also in the hangar are Great planes Chipmunk, about 20 yr old, a plan built Storch and a trainer.

Current project is a UAV ship for photography (I know, all RC models are technically UAV!)

Any way, enough waffle, look forward to some interesting posts, especially from Edge owners, if there are any. Also any one else living in France.

Lee 

Advert

Hi david, French clubs are affiated to the FFAM. I suppose thats the equivalent of the BMFA but there are some differences in that the FFAM actively support clubs with equipment and training. Our club has had several radios with 'buddy' systems and trainer aircraft supplied by the FFAM.

Not sure about all clubs but ours has a workshop and refreshment bar for club members and friends and like the UK clubs, we do have open days much like the 'Wheels and Wings' exhibition.

I remember when I was a club member in the Eastbourne and later the Hastings club, we just met up at the field and flew. Here is far more organised but equally as enjoyable. I actually only joined because my wife bought me an EDF Mirage 2000 for Christmas and I can't fly this in my field, need a tarmac strip! Still haven't flown it yet though but the atmosphere here is great, as in the UK.

Lee 

Sounds like its a pretty good setup over there......when's the next ferry crossing

Incidentally Lee, the good info in your first post will soon be lost in the great void of cyberspace that is a dead thread so could I suggest you put something in your profile page which will be preserved in all its glory for ever.

PS without a " message me" link, people will be unable to contact you off the forum - and dont worry, your email and personal info will NOT be shown - its all safe and private

Hi Lee,

I'm in South west France, near Royan. It seems to me that it's just the same here as in he UK.. A great bunch of guys. grumbling about their ailments, and having fun.. Why don't you all come out?  It could be fixed.  'the RCME french adventure'

ernie

Hi Ernie,

Royan, is that Charente Maritime? went there in 2002. I'm a bit further south, about 60 miles west of Bordeaux.

RCM&E French adventure sounds like a good idea to me, but don't encourage them Just leave ya 35mHz stuff back in the UK, not used here although my club have turned a blind eye to me using it. 

Hi Lee

I've had the same experience with 35mHz... Same blind eye, and then thump..I'm on 2.4 now without even the slightest glitch. Yes It's Charante Maritime. Have you found the excellent model shop just outside Bordeaux. I think it's just off the road to Arcachon

Bon Journee ernie

Hi Ernie,

I bent my Edge 540T today and a friends foamy trainerl, lost signal for no apparent reason, I'm using a Futaba FF7 on 35mHz and was wondering if there is a reason why this frequency is not used here. Heard somewhere that it's used by service vehicles. hinting to the missus to get new radio, preferably 2.4g but will have to buy online as French only seem to supply mode 1 stuff. I prefer mode 2.

Model shops seem to be scarce here, nearest is a joue club in Marmande but very limited in RC stuff, been trying to get ultrakote covering without any luck. can you give me address off the shop in Bordeaux as I havent heard of it. 

Merci bon soiree

Lee 

Hi Lee

My understanding is that 35 was originally used by the government for transport and leisure but became legal for model aircraft  early last year. The idea being to gradually phase out 41.  Of course all that was ignored, so the authorities still use 35, and everyone I know here flies on 41. Also the Futaba 2.4 has a wee switch inside that is marked FRANCE To be honest I'm not sure what it does. But it makes me feel better

The model shop is at Salles SW of Bordeaux. You take junction 16 of the rocade Its a tiny village, so youl find it no bother..Its the best I've found in la Belle

bon appetit ernie

Well, someone shot me down! Must bin the local council workers, lot of activity at the moment around Duras chateau near where I was flying at the time.

Thanks for shop info, unfortunately its about 120k drive, can't convince the wife what a wonderful day out  Arcachon would be.........

Lee 

• 1 month later...

Hi Lee from yet another brit who has moved to the quiet side.............

We live in Vienne, south of Poitiers and I am a member of South Vienne Aero Modellers. Tarmac runway, clubhouse etc........and funded by the local Marie.

I'm fairly new to flying (two crashes to date) and currently have a Flair Cub (difficult to fly as it has a tendancy to bite) - an Astro Hog (superb flier) - a Flair Kite (very, shall we say robust) and an Easy Glider Pro (a really good plane for a lump of foam).

We are spoiled for choice here with four clubs within a 25 kilometre radius.

Hi Gary,

Welcome aboard, no doubt you've seen whats in my stable, Last weekend I added a Yak 54. Came with no building instructions but now finished anyway, subject of another post somewhere.

Currently designing and building a trainer for electric flight for a friend also making drwaings for a UAV Predator. Strangely enough while having a sort out, I came across some plans I did about 15 years ago for a Kyushu Shinden. Plans got finished but never built it. So if thats anything to go by, lord knows when the Predator will get built .

Hope your enjoying the hot weather as I am........

Lee 

Hi Eric,

Most interference seems to to come from the 'Travaux Public', thats the local council workers comms. I also understand that other service vehicles/departments use it too although as I understand it, these people have been advised to cease using 35 meg as it is being re-allocated for RC use.

But in my experience,  the French do what they want so I cannot see these people relinquising the 35 meg band any day soon, thats why I went over to 2.4 gig and sold my 35 stuff on fleabay. just got 4 receivers to sell next hopefully to finance a second 2.4gig rx.

Lee 

Received this the other week from our club sec.

The 35 Mhz band (35,000 and 35,010 Mhz are now authorized by FFAM  since May 2nd).  <a href="http://www.ffam.asso.fr/ct_frequences.htm" title="http://www.ffam.asso.fr/ct_frequences.htm">http://www.ffam.asso.fr/ct_frequences.htm</a>Other frequencies 34,995 Mhz to 35,225 Mhz should follow in a near fututre.

RADIOCOMMANDES DE MODÈLES RÉDUITSThe use of radio-controlled system does not require any individual authorization.Technical conditions for utilisation
Bande de fréquencesPuissance/Niveau maxCanalisationObservations26,81 - 26,92 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHz 26,995 MHz, 27,045 MHz, 27,095 MHz, 27,145 MHz, 27,195 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHzA decision is being prepared  , in order to  allow the opening of this frequency range  to radio-contolled  airplanes.34,995 - 35,015 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHzA decision is being prepared  , in order to  allow the opening of this frequency range  to radio-contolled  airplanes.40,66 - 40,7 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHzA decision is being prepared  , in order to  allow th opening of this frequency range  to radio-contolled  models.40,995 - 41,105 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHzRadio-contolled  airplanes
The band  40,995 - 41,055 MHz  will not be available  after  le 31 Decembre  31, 201041,105 - 41,205 MHz100 mW p.a.r.10 kHz 72,2 - 72,5 MHz100 mW p.a.r.20 kHz Although it does not appear in this table the 2.4 Ghz is opened for  Radio-Controlled  models ,with specific restrictions for France.The 2.400  - 2.454  is allowed  OUTDOOR  with a 100 mW  power limitation.   The 2.454 - 2.483 is  allowed  OUTDOOR   BUT with a 10 mW power limitation.The whole band 2.400 - 2.483 is allowed INDOOR  with a  100 mW power limitation.The FUTABA , GRAUPNER and SPEKTRUM are usable in france , provided that thew follow thes restrictions. So be ware if you buy in the future one of these and check  that they conform to our regulation.The FUTABA 6EX FASST, TCP7 FASST, 13FG FASST  fit this regulation.  For the SPEKTRUM  that  some of you , might have bought in U.K  ,  it is possible to get  the DX7 retro-fitted to the authorized  frequencies  by :                       Horizon Hobby                       Units &-4 Ployters Road                       Staple Tye,  Harlow                      Essex   CM 187NS.It is wise to check bye-mail at   <a href="mailto[email protected]" title="mailto[email protected]">[email protected]</a>,  before.   The modification will   DISABLE totally the 2.454 - 2.483 band.   This will  leave 22 out of 40  available channels.They will also provide a  "Declaration of Conformity" .SPEKTRUM should also announed  an update to their HF modules in the future.

The FFAM, the French Aeromodeling Federation, authorised the use of 35,000MHz and 35,010MHz  from the 2 May this year, and 2,4GHz will be permitted on full power as from 2012 - at present there are limitations imposed.  Pressure was put on the lawmakers in Brussels to this end by both the FFAM and the BMFA.  Efforts will also be made to clarify the somewhat confused legislation in this area. 

Whilst  the idea that "French do what they" like may be true in a certain sense, I am not sure it would be wise to imagine that liberties can be taken with their rules.  The Gendarmes make random spot checks and they are not to be taken lightly - cases of abuse will of course punish the club involved and make the offender most unwelcome

Yeah, Lee, of course as you well know, the council workers are going to have authority on their side, while the likes of you and I would not have - just thought it a good idea to make that difference clear to anyone who might get the wrong impression.