Soldering, Where Am I Going Wrong?

Dai Fledermaus

Advert

Posted by Chuck Plains on 23/02/2015 23:28:21:

You've created a useful thread here Dai.

And now I'm cursing because I've filed the tip of my smaller soldering iron! Doh! I'll have to get another tip now. face 24

Sorry about that Chuck, but whilst I started the thread, I talked about having to clean up the tip of my iron. I didn't mention filing it at all. That was an assumption that others made. You can blame them for you're shiny new iron.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 24/02/2015 08:53:40:

Sorry about that Chuck, but whilst I started the thread, I talked about having to clean up the tip of my iron. I didn't mention filing it at all. That was an assumption that others made. You can blame them for you're shiny new iron.

Hehe, yes I realize that Dai, but what others have mentioned makes perfect sense. I was about to say that I'll be off to Maplin in a day ow two, but I just saw their prices. £4.69 for a set of 3 tips, where similar is £1.50 on Ebay. Hmm.

Sorry to disagree John but just cleaning a part does not mean that it will solder magically. Plumbers don`t clean copper tubes any more because the flux and heat does it for them. As for Bakers Fluid it is something out of the arc and has no place in modelling.

I think that too many people have been influenced by that ridiculous article in the mag. a while ago actually advocating buying acid and then dissolving the zinc plate on a piece of galvanised metal in it. They may still have to do that in the outback but not here. He even said that you must not touch the highly polished parts. Rubbish!

Piano wire only requires cleaning a little with sandpaper or a file as does brass tube (on the inside of the ends as well). Tinned or otherwise copper wire is simply run through the sandpaper.

The flux I mentioned above is non corrosive and does not even need cleaning off. It will easily cope with steel/brass/copper. It is the iron temperature which is important. Many do not know the difference between heat and temperature. 320-350 deg. maintained by a thermostatically controlled iron is all that is needed. I only need a 3-4mm tip to do 2x 8g wire.

That's fine if you have all the expensive kit & are a member of Green Piece! but for those of us in the real world cleanliness added by the correct flux & in iron with good heat retention will give as good results.( I am retired & living in rural Spain with solar power & 120mile round trip to buy a hacksaw blade!) But learnt to solder at school many moons ago & those skills still work using what I can buy locally--what they are I don't know but they still stick things together!

Gentlemen, may I suggest the use of rather more temperate language? We don't do describing other peoples' opinions as "rubbish" on here. Please feel free to disagree and present your own opinion - but remember that's all it ever is - your opinion. And you are perfectly entitled to it - even when you are wrong wink 2

So, let's have a debate by all means - but let's ease up on the pejorative comments about other peoples views "I don't agree..." works perfectly well in most cases!

BEB

Dave, I sent an email to the editor about that article but had no reply. I stand by what I said and the contents of it are way out of tune with the way things are done in this century. `Rubbish` is not an opinion, just fact and no offence was intended.

Remember that I solder for a living as opposed to tuning engines.

Delete this if you wish.

I am only trying to pass on my experience to others.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 25/02/2015 00:52:24

This isn't really up for debate Martin. No more disparaging remarks please. You can disagree without being rude.

Everything everyone says on here is only an opinion - some more informed than others that's true; but that is for readers to decide not proponents and thereby hangs 95% of the fun!

End of issue - back to the thread.

BEB