Depron 134" Lancaster.

Ian101

Interesting comments which I appreciate. I am building it to fly, not to crash (oh no, I shouldn't have said that), no loops or rolls, just a nice steady scale flight. If it flies, it will only be flown very occasionally due to transporting it and the stress factor!! (The stress factor is very real.)

Regarding scale details, I really don't think I have the patience to do rivets, panel lines etc. As long as it is Lancaster looking and flies well, I will be more than happy. having said that, you skilled modellers have produced some stunning examples which I do like the look of, so maybe.....

Unfortunately,Captain Paranoia and Captain Worry will always be on my shoulders.

Tony, the wings? Basically I intend building to plan, replacing balsa with depron. 2 aluminium tube spars per wing, balsa where ailerons join. Hopefully I can do scale hinging on the ailerons and also on the elevators. I bought some big servoless retracts from HK at a price a couldn't believe. They work really well and quite slowly. With a bit of help from a friend I am hoping to make the undercarriage look scale-ish with a bit of suspension also. I might buy some foam from Mick Reeves and make my own wheels and tyres. All of the 7" diameter scale wheels I have found on the net weigh as much as the completed plane and cost a fortune.

Regards

Ian

Advert

Simon, I did make some depron wheels for my DR1 with black electric cable outer for the tyres. They worked quite well until I landed. The undercarriage wasn't much good either! Nothing to do with my piloting skills, honestly?

Does everyone take a photo like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

Managed to do a bit more, but time is the issue again now the Christmas break is over.

Bomb release is now finished. Very crude I'm afraid, but it works. Whether the bombs will fall remains to be seen!

Upper turret started.

Rear turret fairing done.

A bit more sheeting near the front.

I bought a 1/9 pilot, but I think he is actually 1/13 scale, either that or he was 3'8" tall. Anyway I think he looks a little small!

Fuselage sheeting completed apart from the removable nose section and filling and sanding the joints has started.

That's about it for now. I need to start thinking about the wings and tail. Might start the tail I think and leave the hardest bits until last.

Regards

Ian

Tony, as it sits now with all turrets, canopies, 2 receivers, 2 ubec's 3 servos, majority of wires (no battery wires yet) 3.7 lbs.

Monz, I haven't got the patience (or skill) to make masterpieces like you are producing, so foam and big sheets it is and no, nothing seems to be easy. Notice there is no photo underneath at the back. 3 pots of filler going are in there where it didn't go quite so well! Lucky it was underneath.

Indeed looks amazing, going to be very very impressive doing long slow flybys...

I think the gauntlet has (in the nicest way) been thrown down for My Electriflier..... I will carry on watching this one with great interest and admiration and wait with baited breath to see what the Donny Wizard comes up with next.....

Posted by David Davis on 24/01/2015 06:47:36:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool balsa basher and tend to look down on depron builds.

Ooh, say how you feel. Some can't afford to spend hundreds of £'s on balsa for a model of this size, but still like building large scale for a lot less. If it falls from the sky I can bet your balsa wouldn't survive as much as Depron.

Sorry Ian, it is coming along nicely sir, and looking very BIG!  I just hope you measured your car before the building started? surprise

Edited By Depron Daz on 25/01/2015 20:36:53

Posted by David Davis on 24/01/2015 06:47:36:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool balsa basher and tend to look down on depron builds,but this is most impressive.

Didnt Dyed in the wool ICers used to look down on Leccy fliers?

Didnt dyed in the wool users of silk and dope look down on solarfilm?

There is every much as much skill on display in the best of Depron builders (sadly not me) as there are in the Basla fraternity......

Thanks for the interest & comments.

Nothing to post really. I have started on a wing, but haven't got very far. It has taken a week to get nowhere, or so it seems, but I now have a set of ribs cut, a spar and a list of stuff to go and buy!! Hopefully by next weekend I may have a few pictures to post.

The 'depron or balsa' question seems to crop up a lot. The reason I am using it is down to lack of patience. My Dad builds traditionally and has tried to get me to build planes since I was a kid. It was only after seeing an 80" depron Vulcan done by Glenn Moore that I felt that building something was a possibility for me. Even using depron, it is on my limit, but focusing on what Dave has put, doing long slow scale fly byes, is what keeps me going. I know what I want and the only way I will get it is by building it myself.

Another major factor when building this size is the cost. By reducing the airframe weight, the motors and batteries will be smaller, reducing cost but also reducing more weight. I think at the end, I will have spent about £550, including all electrics, batteries, receivers, ubecs and paint. Everything except the Tx. Having not built anything in balsa, I have no idea what a similar sized aircraft would cost, but I think it may be considerably more.

My Dad has had a go with depron, but he can't get on with it at all. He is sticking with balsa but at least he had a go. It isn't for everyone, but it suits me.

If this build log inspires someone else to start building, whether balsa or depron, then it will be worth it. Glenn's Vulcan was the spark that started me.

As for me teaching Electriflier anything, I don't really think that is going to happen and anyone looking at his previous builds will see he has nothing to prove either. It's been a while now since the Hercules, so.........

Daz, I measured my Astra first. It should sit with it's nose against the windscreen and tail against the rear hatch. I just hope I measured correctly because there is no room for error.

I hope you all don't get too bored waiting for the next exciting episode, this is going to take months.

Regards Ian

Impressive, hats off to you and anyone else that has or is building a large scale models with whatever material suits you and your pocket. I have no issue with any form of power train IC, Petrol or Electric I own them all and have great fun with them. I can't wait to see this finished and flying.

Posted by LMA Dave on 25/01/2015 23:22:44:

Impressive, hats off to you and anyone else that has or is building a large scale models with whatever material suits you and your pocket. I have no issue with any form of power train IC, Petrol or Electric I own them all and have great fun with them. I can't wait to see this finished and flying.

And that's how it should be Dave. yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

Edited By Depron Daz on 25/01/2015 23:42:58

Im building this Lancaster in balsa / ply at the moment and its big, i find it increderble that it can be built with depron

So im just going over to the uk to visit family and pick up a supply of depron to build a SR71 Blackbird it will be the same size as the one i built in my avatar aound 3m long

Will there be room for another depron build on here

Tony