Setting the Brake - How can I tell before flying?

Paul Hartley

I am converting an old glider to electric and using a spare motor and ESC that have been fine in other models. Want to set the brake now its in a glider so tried to follow the instructions.

ESC is marked as HiModel Fly 33A and came from BRC some years ago and is no longer stcked. The instructions call the ESC a "WASP" brushless ESC. The instructions say brake is set off and to set it you switch on the TX set max throttle and then connect the flight pack, wait 5 secs and should get 4 tones, close throttle and get confirmation tone. Brake is now set.

However in practice if you put the throttle to max and connect the flight pack and leave it at max there are 2 beeps and the motor then starts at max revs. Tried doing it at when I got the 2 beeps moved throttle to min. I then get 4 beeps and thats it. If I then move the throttle the motor runs as normal.

So now not sure if,

a) The brake is on or off. How can I tell? the motor seems to spool down at the same rate as when it was in another model, and despite trying the above procedure nothing seems to change.

b) why when the throttle is open and I power the ESC it goes to full throttle, as I thought they "failsafed" to not start until the throttle was at min and then moved towards max.

c) I should bother with the ESC and buy a new one, but seems a waste as it seems OK otherwise

Any ideas please.

I've used those ESCs in the past and have the instruction sheet in front of me, Paul. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things - the motor certainly should not start until you've brought the thr stick back to min.

What system are you using? - if it's Futaba you may need to reverse the thr channel. Is the ESC plug fitted correctly to the Rx? Obvious questions but it has been known....smile

My main suspicion is the thr channel direction.

Pete

Can you spin the prop by hand and do you have easy access to the esc - motor connectors? I suppose it is a folding one. Try to spin it with the brake on and then with the esc disconnected. Normally you should see that it runs longer until it comes to a halt while the esc is disconnected.

If you have no break in flight it is not a big miracle, the prop will run driven by the airflow and will break the plane - so it will not glide as nicely as with the prop folded, but other than that I do not see any issues.

Had folding props also on park- flyers, never had a broken prop on (normal) landing.

VA

The instructions here seem to suggest the brake is set on by default.

It also says you can detect if how the brake is set by the number of beeps the ESC makes when it is switched on. 1 beep means the brake is on, two beeps means it is off.

Hope this helps.

By the way I have an ESC that performs perfectly but the brake will not set although with an identical ESC setting the brake is no problem.

I think the crux of the problem is likely to be here:

However in practice if you put the throttle to max and connect the flight pack and leave it at max there are 2 beeps and the motor then starts at max revs

b) why when the throttle is open and I power the ESC it goes to full throttle, as I thought they "failsafed" to not start until the throttle was at min and then moved towards max.

I'm not sure it's going into any sort of programming mode at all...

Pete

Found mine is set to brake [one beep on start up] however you have to spin the prop by hand a couple of times before brake activates and even then it does not seem to have enough resistance to stop the airflow from turning the prop some. It might be if I slow the Coyote enough then the prop may stop and fold but it will have to wait until the weather improves to try, been very rough out on the west coast of late.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Simon - the instructions link goes to a different set than were supplied with the ESC when I bought it and dont seem to match what happens at all.

I think Pete and Chris might have got to the main issues. - Using Spektrum DX5e (I can hear the groans from here cheeky) radio as it is a spare, and have checked the throttle channel operation. Have also adjusted the trims to try and make sure its fully closed with no change. Have checked when I bought the ESC and it was early 2009 (didnt realise it was that long ago) so my money would be that the software doesnt have the safety function and for some reason its not going into programming mode.

will have a think about getting another ESC

I must admit I'm surprised about the apparent lack of the safety arming function, Paul. The BRC instruction sheet I have doesn't describe the usual ESC arming process.

PM me for a copy of the instruction sheet if it's likely to be of help to you.

Pete

ps Nowt wrong with the DX5e......wink 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you all.

Thanks to Pete for the instructions. Used them but still couldn't get it to set the brake correctly.

Went for a new ESC (from HK) and also bought the programming card to avoid problems setting it up from the TX. Duly arrived and connections made up. Followed the programming card instructions and surprise it did something, but got more beeps than the instructions said.

Decided to try it in the model and thankfully it works correctly. The failsafe etc all work properly and the brake is definately set now.

So to answer my original question when the brake is set you can clearly tell that the motor is forced into stopping quickly compared it the way it coasts to a halt when the brake isn't on.

The old ESC looks like it wasn't going into programming mode (as many suggested) and seems to have a fault on it around the failsafe. Now consigned to the bin.

JUst need to maiden the model now. yes

Posted by Paul Hartley on 10/02/2015 16:44:13:

The old ESC looks like it wasn't going into programming mode (as many suggested) and seems to have a fault on it around the failsafe. Now consigned to the bin.

You could just retain it for a model that won't need a folding prop & brake or even for bench testing new motors etc.

• 1 month later...

Well one of the club experts to maiden it the other day. Bit of a zoom climb under greater than half power, but otherwise OK. He suggested adding some down thrust, which I have (about 2 deg). Flew it myself on Wednesday and it still zooms under greater than half power, but managed to glide it around and land ok. Think I will put a bit more down thrust in and see how it goes.

You could try moving the cg back at the same time adjusting the elevator to maintain the glide trim. Best to repeat this in increments over several short flights until you think the cg is as far rearwards as you are comfortable with. The quickest way would be using the dive test & if you can do it from a slope soaring site even better.

This would result in an improved glide performance with less tendency for the nose to pitch up under power.