The Terry S from Graupner

Peter Wood

I agree Dave. The first setup I had was doing over 100mph! In fact I melted the foam around the motor

This little plane easily blasted around at speed, and as long as you don't overstess the airframe by yanking the wings off it it can cope. Huge carving turns and fast n low passes are it's playground. Don't underestimate the strength and flexibility of the Solidpor foam. It bends a LONG way before it snaps (just ask my old Twinjet)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/cyberfyn/RC%20Stuff/Pictures328.jpg

Ian F.

Advert

Looks like the Terry should be an interesting little project then! I'd been looking for a plane like this for ages as I didn't want to destroy another fibreglass plane so thank you Graupner. I also have a Blizzard to build but I'm not allowed to touch that until Christmas

Ian, my Funjet has taken a few hits but CA has fixed it every time. It doesn't look great but it still flys! Elapor / solidpor is great stuff.

Mine has arrived and I'm well pleased to say the least. This is exactly what I was after, a cheap, fast foam warmliner that can be flown pretty much anywhere! There's so much room in there that a 4 cell setup is easily possible with enough strengthening Fitting aileron servo's will be quite simple as the wing is thick enough for even 9g servos to be mounted flush but it will definately need a better fixing to the body. I think I will use the rudder after all. Looks like I'll be busy tonight!

Depending on your motor setup, make sure you get good cooling for the motor and ESC. It's a push fit into the worlds best insulation after all There is no exit for the hot air in the fus, so a hot setup will need it.

I've used a folding prop and a spinner that has a cooling hole in it (looks like a ME109 spinner)

Ian F.

Well my Terry is pretty much finished and I'm very pleased with how it looks. I have only deviated from the stock plane by installing ailerons and a 3mm carbon rod in the horizontal stabiliser as it seemed a little flimsy. Everything was fine until the right aileron servo packed up but at least it did on the bench and not in the air! Won't take much to change it out though. I eventally got a headless Pelikan spinner from Puffin and they're rubbish! The 3.2mm version would not tighten down onto the Mega's 3.17mm shaft and the aluminium is so soft that the thread stripped out trying to tighten it up. I now have a decent one on the way so the maiden should happen this week sometime. Watt meter is showing 230 watts on a 6x4 APC prop so the Graupner 7x4 should be interesting. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.

On advice from Gary at BRC I bought a  2212/10 from them (nine quid), rear-mounted it onto the ply firewall I had attached where I had cut off the nose portion containing the "cooked" inrunner. Once I had extracted the deceased inrunner from the amputated portion of the nose, I opened up the internal diameter of this piece of nose to clear the larger diameter outrunner and glued it back on to the front of the firewall. So she looked almost as before but just1/8" longer

With a 9 x 6 CAM folder and a 1000mA 3S LiPo (25C)  she flies better than with the previous inrunner, admittedly she looks a bit scruffy after my ad hoc surgery, but she must be getting close to David's model's 50mph in a dive.

David

all CAM folders: 

9 x 6 - 1000 3S Tornado = 16A, 1800 3S Tornado = 18A,  1800 3S Loong Max  = 24A  (Ouch!)

8 x 4.5 - 17A on the Loong Max, 14A on both of the Tornados.

7.5 x 4 -  all 3 sets of cells gave 10A

I hadn't checked until David asked the question but, happily I hadn't flown the Terry with the 1800 LM on a 9x6, as I would probably cooked either or both both the speed controller and the new motor.

I've now settled for the  8x4.5 as the most comfortable option, I doubt there will be much difference in the air.

I was dissuaded by Gary at BRC from putting a 2409-12 T into the Terry, he thought it would be too much, I'm still tempted as I have one in a VTO (well almost)  Formosa and that IS quick.

Maiden flight took place this morning and it was fast and tracked perfectly. My guess at aileron size and throws was pretty good as they worked great but the bad news is that after a few minutes something went seriously wrong as it glitched badly and full elevator sent it down fast. Fortunately a soft bush saved it from any real damage but the soft bush was the other side of a stream

I'm now sat here at work with wet feet wondering how to dry them! Anyway, I think the RX may be too close to the control rods so I have some work to do. I'll also swap out the ESC for another just incase. It was good for those few minutes though