The Terry S from Graupner

Peter Wood

Advert

Range is not the problem with the Hitec as it's been much further away without issue. I have these micro units in many of my planes and they are very good with minimal problems. This unit came out of my fast Tigershark EDF and that never glitched so I still think it's the fact it was virtually sat on top of the control rods acting as antennae. I had a similar problem in my F-16 where the aerial ran close to a long control rod and that glitched like mad until the aerial was run out along the wing. Could still have been the ESC overheating and shutting down but normally the BEC still carries on working. I've had ESC's on fire and the BEC still worked!

The TE of my wing is secured down with an extra plate and screw. Once everything is running as it should I will be hot gluing the wing down and trying 4 cell

The wing already has extra rods in and strapping tape end to end so I think it will take it but I will be dropping down to a 6x3. Should be fun but if it goes wrong I'll just buy another and stick to 3 cell. I normally total a new plane before putting everything I learned into a decent second one. Drives my wife mad but I don't drink or smoke so I have to invest my cash somewhere and the banks don't seem too safe  

Receiver is relocated and aerial routed along the wing. All set for another flight tomorrow, hopefully more successful this time!

Edit: Didn't get to fly because a range check gave a range of 10 feet before glitching started! A different RX and esc made no difference but disconnecting all the servo's and then connecting them in one by one revealed that the cheap 9g servo's I got from GiantCod are screwing up the RX. Switched to BRC 9g's and all is good which is odd as I thought they were the same thing

Yes indeed and it's quick but very smooth at all speeds. My elevator movement was too much but my ailerons could do with being bigger for more control. I also had to alter the wing incidence to reduce some of the lift at neutral elevator. However, trying to fly in strong winds is not a good idea especially when it hits the ground! It suffered minor damge in comparison to how hard it went in but I've glued the front end back on and filled the join so with a little sanding and paint it will be almost as good as new. The next one will have a lot more strengthening in the front end, bigger ailerons, elevator servo moved to the back and 4 cell on a smaller Kv motor

I had the luckiest save this morning with the Terry!  One area of the field is prone to interference for some reason and as the plane passed this area it went into a vertical dive and disappeared behind some trees. I instantly held full up elevator but consoled myself that it was too late then after what seemed like ages, it reappeared going perfectly straight up in the same place. Not sure how it managed it but I was pleased to say the least   After repairs and change of components mine weighs in at 26oz's but glides very well even with no headwind. landings are as easy as it gets.

I'm going to have to call this plane Doom as everytime I've flown it something has gone wrong. First the servos caused a crash, then the ESC packed up, then the motor terminal broke and now the prop adaptor has broken  But when it works it's great

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...