Phil's funfighter

Phil Winks

Here we go a busy Fri night/Saturday and she's ready for her maiden.

picture 059 funfighter 2015.jpg

picture 058 funfighter 2015.jpg

picture 057 funfighter 2015.jpg

picture 056 funfighter 2015.jpg

the bty is a squeeze but the COG is spot on, thankfully.

picture 060 funfighter 2015.jpg

Now the techie bits,

AUW 1.3lb

Max current at WOT 180w = 130w/lb

so she should have enough power, in fact she goes weightless at 1/2 throttle so under arm lob launches should be a breeze,

Now just need some good weather to trim her out and make sure she's good for Greenacres.

WOW that was quick! Did you go to sleep at all last night!!!

Looks nice Phil but you've shown your hand too early for that trophy! I'm off to my shed now to completely sand down & respray the Mosquito. devil

That paint job hasn't taken 10 minutes! Very nice! yes

John, how's the enemy doing?

Edited By Chris Barlow on 21/02/2015 17:35:06

Posted by Chris Barlow on 21/02/2015 17:54:41:

As long as you're there mate, that's what matters.

We need something to shoot at! laugh

We do that Chris

Thanks for the kind comments lads, but honestly it really was not a massively careful build and the finish has surprised me too, I think its the coat of satin lacquer that's set it of, oh and the paper decals downloaded from T'internet, that for me was the only real stroke of genius

Edited By Phil Winks on 21/02/2015 18:04:19

• 2 weeks later...

Well the chance of a maiden flight presented itself and of I went, a few circuits with my trusty E Pioneer to warm the fingers up and then into a trial of the spit, with an assistant for the the first launch she fair ripped herself out of his hand and leapt sky ward with great enthusiasm, pretty much straight and true of the board, immediately I was aware she's a sensitive beast but not uncontrollable, one circuit and try the roll, very axial and frighteningly quick, a half loop and roll out and I found myself way to close to the largest tree on the edge of our patch, most will see where this is going, convinced I'd rolled right way up I pulled up and at half throttle she dived straight into the top of a 40 foot tree, the canopy fluttered earthwards and the rest draped itself over the branch, there is no doubt she is a mess but accessing her without a long pole is an impossibility, so I've pretty much decided its up to the wind to dislodge her, by which time there will be little worth salvaging. such is life crying I guess, right now I'm thinking that six months after passing my A and with precious little flight time since then it was prob a hasty move building her, mind you let a little time pass and I probably will have another go. though maybe not in time for greenacres, though I will bring the canopy for you all to laugh at indecision oh and the Atom but thats for another thread.

Oh no! Really sorry to hear that Phil. At least you got a bit of air time with her. The funfighters don't really fly scale speed and are very exhilarating to throw around. The only problem is the small size and camoflage schemes makes them hard to track in the sky. Many times my Hurricane turns into a black silhouette and I'm flying it from last position memory. This time I've gone for invasion stripes on the Mossie!

I was really looking forward to that "rough & hasty" paint job too! Still looks impressive in the photos and hopefully will keep her water tight until she drops out of the tree.

Thanks lads for the commiserations however I really do have only myself to blame, what really hurts is the hardware I will almost certainly lose, on the plus side we have a set of fibre glass poles at the club, the sort used by western power etc for handling live overhead cables, they will reach the model I'm told so with luck we'll get her down one evening during the week when I'll post the Damming pics blush some how it looks pretty bad from 40 foot below it though you never know till its in your hand,

Sorry to point this out...but twice I have lodged a model up in the top branches, and both times done far more damage dislodging than the tree had done due to using poles. Unless you are a squirrel there really is no other option but it's infuriating when you can see your model sitting quite happy and not too injured, until you start to rescue it. I went from a slightly dented plane to a black bag of bits, but what's the alternative.....a Quad (or drone if you are in the media) with a balsa/foam magnet hanging under. Just need to invent the magnet now.

We have all put models into trees or we are not really experienced modellers!

However all is not lost --the windy weather predicted this week might well bring it down to a lower level where poles might retrieve it. If it's really high the wind should help, so it's important to check often before some thieving type gets access instead. Shaking the tree or just a branch might well dislodge it. One of my friends rescued his plane by taping lots of bamboo canes together and putting the lot on top of a long fishing pole. Prodding the plane upwards released it and it slithered down to a reachable level. My own plane was rescued by the wind bringing it down a bit and then using a long pole - the special ones advertised in RCME etc - with the help of some clubmates too. The clubmate with the special pole is one of our clubs most popular members! Best of luck and keep looking to see if its come lower down -it will in time.

First impressions are that the hardware less the battery and wing servos are OK, as for sorting the fuse it's worse than it looks there, the turtle deck is all but of, the tail feathers are flapping loose, the bottom of the back of the fuse is half missing and the wings both have chord wise fractures, across the grain, and they have separated at the centre. all l in all its pretty much more trouble to repair than to build new.

Still at least I got the valuable bits back intact yes