Fruitless flipping...almost

Tony Patman

I agree with Peter here-especially with pusher props-on a normal tractor layout, if you slightly touch the rotating prop whilst adjusting the needle, glowclip, etc. the prop will tend to push your finger away, but with a pusher layout it will be drawn in-ouch!! Also glowclip wires will tend to be 'sucked' in.
There is a lot of talk about safely starting an engine-chicken sticks, starters etc., but I have never hurt myself starting an engine by hand-the danger comes when the engine is running & you need to give the needle a final tweak, reaching through the now invisible prop disc!
Take Care!!!

I hope no-one thought I meant you can be cavalier with a tractor prop, but I'm sure many of us have touched the rear of the prop disc while adjusting the needle & experienced a sort of zzzztttt! noise & sharply withdrawn their pinkies from danger! My point is that you would not get away with this with a pusher installation-you would probably lose a finger or three!
Any running engine is to be treated with extreme caution (one of the worst cuts I had was from a Cox .049 as a kid!!!).

Yes, I agree, all the accidents that I have seen have been once the engine is running at full power. Not totally convinced that the prop always pushes ones finger away at the back. A year or so ago I was adjusting a.15 from behind and took the whole top off my left forefinger knuckle.. Two stiches to seal the tiny artery and the finger took months before it would bend fully again.
My starter is built into my flight box. I hold the model and push it onto the started and use a foot switch. Everything is behind the prop.

• 10 months later...