Pull pull question

I have never used a pull pull system but need one for a future project for tail wheel steering and was thinking of running this through a tube , ie both wires converge into the tube at the servo end and diverge at the rear.

The reason I considered this was for accessibility reasons.

Is this a practical solution?

Advert

I was considering it in the manner of a loose fitting bowden cable arrangement....it would only be tight when the wheel was in the down position.

I thought that passing through a tube would not really be any different from a control wire which runs around a pulley to change direction.

I know this is not the norm but I am always looking at new ways of doing things.

Edited By Brian Wilson 2 on 03/02/2015 05:29:37

I have used pull pull cable routed via tubes to operate a tailwheel in the manner you describe,it works fine. There is a bit of friction / double centering but for a tailwheel it is not important.

The first effort I used full length tubes - on a later one I just used 1/4 inch tube 'bearings' in the fus formers (to change direction) rather than a full length tube and I though that this worked better, probably because there was less cable/tube friction.

I put the t/w retract unit in so it retracted the 'wrong' way to be scale but it made it possible to have the pull cable tight with the wheel down and slack with the wheel up, which neatly disconnects the servo. I didn't have any springs or shock absorbing in the cables.

hope that this helps

stu k

The chaps have already shown that this approach is a perfectly sound approach. Putting springs in the tailwheel pull-pull is an excellent way to reduce the shock load and should always be considered. Reduce the angles as much as you can to ease the strain.

The only thing I can add is that you may want to use the nylon coated steel trace I find it slides more easily.

Cheers

Danny