Language Timothy!

Dai Fledermaus

Our rule book bans all swearing on the field or clubhouse. It is still used on the field now and then ( crashes , near misses, prop finger connections etc) but miraculously stops, on the appearence of strangers, the opposite sex, and most definitely children. An interested policeman turned up once, the language was beautiful. LoL

Just as much in life, the passions raised when many topics are discussed can surprise. That is until you start to consider is there really a black and white answer.

I do sympathise with Bobs view, that is, as long as swearing is not to cause offence to a person, and so on. Yet when considered further, it would not be the use of a so called swear road that is the issue. Some of the most hurtful things said, contain not a single word that can be considered a swear word.

To some extent many ordinary words are now been seen by some as offensive, by the context that they have been used. An example is the use of a word in the latest RCM&E, it is used within a body of text discussing some engineering trade practises. Lets say it is an alternative for "illegitimate", to cool the moderators down. Here it seems to imply a had-hoc means to achieve a result, in this context i have never heard the technique so described. However I have heard of an "illegitimate file" (for removing metal). Gay is the latest, where children are being threatened as being potentially placed on some sex offender register.

I think my main objection is to the idea that people should be subjected to censorship, dependant on the views of a small elite. Yet I also appreciate that without some form of boundaries, regulation and control, we would rapidly descend into depths of the most uncivilised behaviours. The trouble really starts when the regulators do not recognise some form compliance with the wider world and what they see as acceptable, becoming over zealous.

I personally prefer the standards on what is acceptable to be based on the content commonly found in the so called Broad Sheet newspapers, rather than a childrens comic. At the end of the day I have no issue in encouraging my grandchildren in reading such a newspaper. Particularly after some of the subjects that childrens educationalist recommend and implement into the school curriculum.