Language Timothy!

Dai Fledermaus

Now, let me start by saying that I'm no prude, I can swear like the best when I choose to. I just don't choose to very often, unless that is, I've done something really stupid in the workshop, but then there is no one else there to hear me.

It came as something of a surprise to me then, as someone coming back to the hobby, to find that swearing seemed to be common place at all of the clubs I visited in my area and there were several of them. By that I mean that every other word from some members was an expletive. I admit that it seemed to be only down to one or two individuals in each case and there were no youngsters there at the time, but as a visitor for some reason, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Perhaps I just need to get out more.

Neither of the two clubs that I am a member of, is swearing usual.

Strong expressions, occasionally, when events have occurred which that were not part of a plan. Even then rarely.

Although I would say, that blasphemy is more frequent, if a strict interpretation of biblical text, can be heard for emphasis. On this web site at least one is deemed to be swearing. Although I suspect that many do not recognise what is swearing and what is blasphemy. By common interpretation some blasphemies are seen as swearing. My wife pulls me up, for taking the lords name in vain.

Some phrases are considered crudities, by interpretation of the assumed meaning.

I have been threatened with expulsion from the site, for using a phrase which has been used in my Daily Broadsheet, in Harry Potter as used by Ron Weasley on numerous occasions and during the next week in Dr Who. There are also historic figures that use the word in part of there unofficial titles. On this basis this site has a very strict and extensive interpretation of swearing.

But swearing as commonly used, defiantly a rarity at the clubs I attend.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/02/2015 11:55:58

We have one member who simply cant help himself, its his only method of expression. It can be amusing until a member of the public strolls across to ask questions, as they do . I like to think the English language is rich enough to cater for any situation, with the possible exception of hitting your thumb with a hammer, when only a proper manly outburst will make it feel any better.

Depends on the context:

I work in a factory where swearing is commonplace, and I can mix it with the best of them.
At the field,however, it depends who I'm talking to. Old buddies get cheerfully abused, whilst I'm happy to moderate my vocabulary with a more genteel member or unknown newbie.
I do understand that not everybody can 'swop hats' so readily, and so I won't take offence at the language
of others. More importantly I don't consider my job to correct the language of others.

Timothy

Bit of swearing in our club but only really members who know each other well. When in other company language is self moderated

However what really gets my goat is how swear words have changed. Words that 30 years ago were nasty swearing are now commonplace and heard on the high street, few people bat an eyelid. Other words that were quite normal 30 years ago, perhaps a bit coarse, are now evil swear words.

The PC people annoy me. If you use a word that someone can twist into a racist or discriminatory context you can be sacked, pilloried, taken before the law.

I can't keep up with the 'in' swear words. Anybody got a dictionary?

Posted by i12fly on 05/02/2015 22:58:59:

Bit of swearing in our club but only really members who know each other well. When in other company language is self moderated

However what really gets my goat is how swear words have changed. Words that 30 years ago were nasty swearing are now commonplace and heard on the high street, few people bat an eyelid. Other words that were quite normal 30 years ago, perhaps a bit coarse, are now evil swear words.

The PC people annoy me. If you use a word that someone can twist into a racist or discriminatory context you can be sacked, pilloried, taken before the law.

I can't keep up with the 'in' swear words. Anybody got a dictionary?

Talking PC ... with the outlawing of that well known pudding Spotted Richard, shouldnt that be "Anyone got a lexicon of the English Language?"

We get the odd banter at our field all light hearted so no probs. But I also sail boats and last year went to a new lake for me to sail, out in the wilds but also a large car park for general public to go for walks on the heathland. So quite a few passer by's. The regulars were racing about a 100mtrs from the car park where my wife and i were sailing from, the language to each other racing was unbelievable and we could hear the lot. I was quite upset for my wife and a couple of other persons there having a picnic. I appreciate they were racing but just because someone steals you wind or water, I think it is totaly unnecessary for language like that. We've not been back since and yes I will not be joining that club.

Member of two clubs. Club No 1 has a strict written rule that no foul or abusive language will be used on club sites. Club No 2 just states in the rules that members will treat each other with courtesy and consideration at all times.

Widespread swearing, it's not clever, achieves very little, and just illustrates how crass some sections of our society have become. I'm tired of many modern TV and film dramas assaulting us with a stream of four letter words supposedly for dramatic effect. Even the BBC's excellent 'Wolf Hall' had to abuse us with a four letter expletive in its last episode - a pity as it was not needed and I'm sure the writers could have come up with some other idea to express the emotion without stooping to the easy option.

If I hear the warning before a programme "contains strong language from the start" I usually reach for the remote.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/02/2015 17:22:32

Emotive subject.

I recorded and watched 'The Sweeney' with Ray Winstone. (yes I was there for the original!). I've worked on building sites, and with the less fortunate.. so again, I'm no prude.

I gave up after just 10 minutes with the film, it was so crude and every third word was an expletive. Shame.

Sometimes I tutor some individuals from a poor and abusive background where that sort of language is endemic - I have to keep asking individuals to leave the classroom as they can't help themselves, or rather cant express any sort of feeling or emotion without swearing - heavily.

Ive also worked in London on live trading floors as an engineer, and, to be honest the amount of said swearing is part of the job - from the traders; agreed that it is a pressured job but one that pays well.

Back to the patch. Yep, everyone swears, but oddly enough we I have to report that none of it is used in an abusive sense.

I've seen models go in (yep - mine too!) and the reaction? Shock, horror and a belly laugh... I've not heard a bad word (yet) when that happens.

I agree Cuban8, I reach for the remote as well. Particularly at so-called comedy programs or'comedians' where swearing is part of the act.

Back to the building site. Swearing? oh yes - it's there all the time, but the camerarde was great.

What about me? No I don't swear that much. Only when my back goes - please excuse me for that.

Steve

PS - I bet the mods are watching this one !!

Mostly banter... but as many have rightly said - it has its place... especially around the young/new/more genteel and lady visitors to the field..

Loved the Sweeney with Ray Winstone... yes good follow on from the original....

Edited By Area 51 on 06/02/2015 19:59:02

Swearing in the forces was normal and very common. I don't suppose that has changed. IT was also normal in all the maintenance workshops that I have worked in.

There is not a lot in our club, mainly one or two members but they do it without thinking.

It is interesting that one of the most common words which is used at all times of the day and night in TV and radio is derived from the old English expression "By My Lady"

I also notice that all the old exclamations have vanished. i.e Dash! or Darn! and even the more serious but similar D word which is incredibly innocuous by modern standards.

Posted by Chuck Plains on 06/02/2015 20:50:30:

I can see a problem for anyone trying to register on the forum while giving their location as Effingham in Surrey.

You may recall that the inhabitants of a certain town, some 10 miles south-west of Hull, had problems registering with AOL when AOL first started providing Internet service in the UK back in the 1990's.

As I recall they were initially advised to register their town name as "Sconthorpe" until the problem was resolved!

I used to race RC cars indoors and the membership really was 8 to 80 and occasionally younger.

There was a strict rule of no swearing it was self policing and we all kept each other in check.

During races other drivers would reprimand and if the warnings did not work the individuals race score would be annulled.

Anyone who really could not keep a civil tongue was encouraged to leave the club.

These guys were certainly not city bankers and came from backgrounds where expletives would be the norm, but in the club environment with so many youngsters it was universally unacceptable.

I have been reading up a lot about what we refer to as swearing.

What has surprised me is how far ranging the scope can be, even the definitions not as narrow as I thought they would be.

Perhaps the strangest to me was that many words, that are often needed to describe a physical or medical condition, are all considered by some to be swear words. Perhaps this is part of the inhibition that doctors face from time to time getting to an description of the patients problem.

Many, probably the vast majority of the most common swear words, seem tob e considered to be Germanic in origin, although what they related to, in origin, is often debated.

I am guessing, but suspect it is the universal application to almost any circumstances of these words, that we find disturbing and offensive, in that we immediately recognise the strength of feeling, very pointedly, not requiring the need to be specific.

Again what surprises me is that what were once deemed to be the most objectionable, in eras of stronger religious believe, blasphemy (which my wife objects to) are frequently used on this site and on nearly every text message to register amazement. Blasphemy is now so common, that most Christians do not register words and phrases, although some religions are not so laid back.

I do endeavour to avoid the use of objectionable words and phrases (in most cases), yet now I believe it is by convention, without a clear understanding of what is a swear word, by its character. Other than to say that often it is the intention, to shock, to antagonise, demonstrate strength of feeling, offensive and so on. Yet, so many do the same without the use of any of these words, yet clearly tick all the boxes in conveying the same message and are applauded, for undertaking a similar attack.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/02/2015 17:26:35

Interesting analysis!

"I have been reading up a lot about what we refer to as swearing."

I don't readup about it - just consult SWMBO blush

Seriously, SWMBO is a a qualified counsellor, with the 5 year ticket of education to prove it. She had to attend a class all day on swearing, where members of the class (behind closed and locked doors) were openly encouraged to swear, in ANY way and be as abusive as possible in order for a discussion to follow - and be able to take whatever a client could throw at them.

She said she thought of me when she had to do that...