Language Timothy!

Dai Fledermaus

Stevo

Surely a day is far to short, to work through any but the most obvious and current in use.

As for analysis, I have really struggled, I really could and cannot define swearing. Although i register some words easily, whilst now believing that probably 50% of the time many of us are using a vulgarity to some.

I believe it was the practice of actually trying to offend someone - she told me that there was one lady in the goup that did not swear at all. Most of the time was spent almost yelling at her, encouraging her to 'give and receive' shall we say...

I think an example of a vulgarity is appropriate or at least part of it "poppy" with reference to a male cockerel, but shortened. I would never have guessed that it is a vulgarity. It is just one on many, that are heard from time to time.

Even words such as Struth and Gadzooks, there are so many, you cannot shake a stick at them. I will go as far as to write, when ever you use a word, that seems a little quirky, you are more often than not uttering an oath designed to get around the "Act of Restraint" or similar.

I am not advocating causing offence, although it can be so much easier than i would have guessed, before this thread and my own chastisement by the moderators.

I have a suspicion that the moderators will have offended inadvertently. We need to be alert to moderate the moderatorssmiley

Edited By Erfolg on 07/02/2015 21:16:27

Good job I don't live in the village just to the west of Bere Regis in Dorset. Effingham has nothing on this!

I hardly ever hear swearing in our club. We've recently had a new member join whose language was - colourful. Nobody said anything but I've noticed his language has moderated considerably. He still slips occasionally though.

Ian

Posted by TheFlyingCrust on 07/02/2015 22:59:38:

Good job I don't live in the village just to the west of Bere Regis in Dorset. Effingham has nothing on this!

I've worked all around the UK, there is a village 14 miles NE of Kirkwall on Orkney which may raise an eyebrow, or a smile, depending on your sense of humour.

The OP talked about swearing at the flying field, realistically I think that probably comes down to a just a handful of words (I think we all know what they are but obviously on this forum we don't say them).

Erfolg has alluded to a far greater variety of words but I'm not really sure they are relevant to the core of what the OP was commenting on, which I think is probably some basic anglo saxon stuff.

In this world there are a huge variety of people which accounts for different use of language, in my experience use of languages does not relate to social status or educational achievement, there is no common factor.

Some of the most colourful language I've heard has come from people who might well be described as captains of industry.

I come from a background where swearing in the presence of ladies was not done, however in todays world I find that ladies can hold their own with men in the language department.

As regards swearing in the presence of children I will always regard that as a no-no, however my experience of dealing with young people is that they develop the swearing capability at an alarmingly early age. My older daughter teaches 9 year olds in a nice leafy suberb of south Manchester, the stories she has to tell about the language of the kids and the parents are startling. 

I think there is also a comment to be made about the intent of swearing, I think as far the language used at the flying field there is no intent to cause offence with what might be said; howeve similar words might be used by folks after a beery night out where there probably is an aggressive intent behind the use of the same words. 

Edited By avtur on 08/02/2015 03:00:47

Ooopps too late to edit my previous post ... my opening line should have read "14 miles NW of Kirkwall" ... and not NE ... which would be in the North Sea!

Sorry about that but the 'edit' function doesn't last very long!

Edited By avtur on 08/02/2015 03:23:14

Posted by avtur on 08/02/2015 03:21:05:

Ooopps too late to edit my previous post ... my opening line should have read "14 miles NW of Kirkwall" ... and not NE ... which would be in the North Sea!

Sorry about that but the 'edit' function doesn't last very long!

Edited By avtur on 08/02/2015 03:23:14

I was begining to wonder!

I see that Kirkwall has a huge model boatiing lake.

I have been surprised at how wide potentially the scope of offence words actually is. We all seem to get the principle words, with a high degree of agreement as to what they are. Then there is a multitude words and phrases where some are offended, others not registering anything.

As to why they are offensive, as i have written, it is beyond me to provide a concise and specific definition, that would not also roll up an incredible number of words which are clearly anything but, which would have most shaking their heads in despair at the nonsense. It all seems to come down to judgement, although some what poor as a method, particularly as this judgement would change with time, individuals and circumstances (which is the least rational and fair aspect)..

I have noted that English grammar is also another area which raises irrational responses. That is in the opinion of some one who recognises thatthey are grammatically challenged.

It is another area where I have done a little digging. You find that accepted English grammar and spellings has changed dramatically over the years. It seems that the Victorians were particularly active in standardising English in a form which you could describe as structured, this in a way that demonstrated the character of the Victorian era. I do note that it was that it was the UK Victorians who introduced the concept a standardised complicated place settings for meals, which indicated a whole manner of aspects of ones status and education. It is in this era that the idea of "split Infinitives" took hold in a standardised form. Yes the idea existed earlier as an idea, without the passion and the absolute certainty that as a concept of being wrong.

I also find it strange the desire to retain spellings, which are not intuitive. You can see that the USA, attempts to revise their own, to simplify and introduce a logical set of spellings. The Germans from time to time, address all aspects of the language and officially revise it as appropriate. We seem to have a lot in common with the French, in that some would rather die in a trench than accept any changes. Even the use of "goal" and "jail" for a place of imprisonment, can and has raised the ire of some. There are so many examples of irrational spelling that I would go on writing a list of thousands of words andt heir meanings

Then again, given my abilities with the English language, i would think that, wouldn't I. I see it as a means to communicate, nothing more.

It all reminds me of when learning German, when I was told by a teacher. German "O" levels are not about being able to speak and write like a German. You need to learn how to do these things as an Englishman. I have never forgotten this outburst, as you can see.

Posted by Erfolg on 09/02/2015 14:53:51:

Even the use of "goal" and "jail" for a place of imprisonment, can and has raised the ire of some. There are so many examples of irrational spelling that I would go on writing a list of thousands of words andt heir meanings

I think you'll find that "goal" is a sporting term, Erf.

The other spelling for Jail is Gaol. Which hopefully is a little more understandable?

It's 'gaol' and 'jail', Erf, although IMHO there any many people who kick at goal who might benefit from a spell in jail....teeth 2

Talking of intuitive spelling and changing the written word to suit, I struggle to understand why more than a few folk (yes, here as well!) insist on typing 'defiantly' when what they mean, and presumably say when talking, is 'definitely'.

Two entirely different words with utterly different meanings.....face 8

I fear that, whilst contact is easier than it's ever been, the ability to communicate is rapidly diminishing.

'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance.....'

Pete

As I tried to say when I started this thread. I don't have a problem with the odd expletive. For example when you've been trying to start that engine for ten minutes on a cold Winter day, and it shows no sign of life, you don't exclaim `Oh dear the perversities of inanimate objects! You think of something more colourful to say if only to make yourself feel better. Or when you've just dropped your very last 2mm nut into the grass, you don't say `Oh I am a silly sausage` your reaction would be to use a few well chosen swear words. We've all done it.

What does put me on the back foot is trying to have a conversation with someone whose every other word is a swear word. I just don't see the need for it, but in my experience they just can't help it.

Similarly, a few contributors here have said that the Mods will be hovering around this particular thread, but why should they more than any other.? It seems to me that most, if not all of the Forum members are of a certain age and should know how to behave on what is after all a public forum. Is it because some feel the need to push the boundary? Perhaps they just can't help it.

Swearing is very rarely heard in my club, but it's strange how it can become part of the culture of some groups - female as well as male. I started to watch '10,000 BC' on Channel 5, but one foul-mouthed individual was enough for me to turn it off for good. Sometimes swearing can be in context, but this uneducated man used it gratuitously and spoiled what could otherwise have been something worth watching.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 09/02/2015 15:59:29:

Talking of intuitive spelling and changing the written word to suit, I struggle to understand why more than a few folk (yes, here as well!) insist on typing 'defiantly' when what they mean, and presumably say when talking, is 'definitely'.

When incorrect words are used in writing, as opposed to in conversation, I wonder how much of that might be because we fall foul of two particular modern inventions; namely the spell checker and predictive text.

Both have their uses but can't be relied upon to be accurate all the time, you have to double check the output of these 'modern aids' to be sure they produce what was intended. I'm sure we all know people who have been caught out this way.

Personally I think spell checkers are wonderful, but a spell checker set to auto correct without confirmation by the writer can lead to problems.

Posted by Cuban8 on 08/02/2015 15:59:08:

Henceforth, I shall be making extensive use of 'zounds' gadzooks' and ''strewth' when things go awry over the fieldlaugh

Actually, these words could well be offensive to a sensitive Christian. Zounds comes from God's wounds (apparently), Gadzooks from God's hooks (both are crucifiction related) and strewth from God's truth.

Perhaps better to simply offend (and apologise if necessary) with a quick muttering of Anglo-Saxon bodily function related stress relief!