Seagull Flight Box

trebor

1. Has anyone got one ?

2. How high will it hold a plane off the floor ?

3. Is it safe to start a plane on ?

My birthdays coming up and had the idea of getting an alloy step up stool and sitting this on top to make it waste high.

The other option would be a flight table. My knees are suffering. crying

Advert

A standard box is only really of use to carry your stuff & to hold the airframe upside down to fit a wing etc Bob

As for starting they offer no restraint as such so won't stop the plane moving forwards if the throttle is opened.

Edited By Justin K. on 10/02/2015 20:20:30

Posted by Justin K. on 10/02/2015 21:54:27:

I had my latest creation in the car on Sunday and was going to try it out but got sidetracked helping scoop up debris sad

I'm very pleased with it , will post some pics when I get chance to take some.

I bet its made of lightweight alloy laugh

I've got one.I use it to hold the fuselage in the car, transporting one plane. Got all my tools, starter,fuel in it but don't load it up as it defeats the object of portability. Also use it for assembling the aircraft at the flying field, but i don't use it for starting the plane. I still take it off the flight box and put it on a restraint.

One thing, the doors on the drawers were not held on by much glue on my example , and a couple pulled off, as they are held in place by strong magnets,so put them back on with epoxy.Also the drawer fronts are a bit thin.

It does it's job though, keeps everything in one place,light enough, and have had it for a year with no other problems.If you build your own box then weight is one thing you have to watch out for. No point in having a portable flight box if it weighs a ton.

It's 18 inches heigh to the 'V' and 22 inches total height, so for me it's big enough. Can assemble the plane without kneeling down.

That's why my Great Mate is left in the workshop.A bit heavy and cumbersome.That's why you need something light,and portable or you'll start to leave it at home.I've been through different things; flight stands; individual boxes, wheeled mechanics plastic box, but at the moment i still like the Seagull. You can start the motor on the Seagull, but i wouldn't like to rev it to full power, and it can slip sideways; that's why the Great Mate was a good stand; kept the fuselage held firmly. That's why i prefer the restraint. Also the Seagull doesn't take up too much room in the car.