Acro Wot and Wots Wot XL models

Paul Marsh

Advert

Yes. Got the engines. have two of the kit Acro Wot XL's, but been waiting for these two to come out. Also, I have all the Chris Foss Models, both the Kits and the ARTF ones. Some, I've got two, such as 2 Wot Wots kit with different power plants and the ARTF version, which hasn't flown yet.

Looks like they are doing an ARTF Mk 3 Wot 4 as well, but I prefer the MK 2 anyway.

I must admit that I am getting a bit bored of all these ARTF Wots, which hurts to say since I adore the Chris Foss aeroplanes.I have got a few of them and with all of them they are very good fliers, but too heavy yet not that rugged. Compared with the kit ones the wings are considerably heavier despite being built up rather than foam. The best flying Wot we have is a 30 year old kit built Wot 4 mk 2 which has a light wing and it is a brilliant flier on a Saito 62. None of the ARTFs have managed to match it so far.

The kits are still being made I think but with Chris Foss putting so much effort into the ARTFs I do wonder for how long. I don't think the ARTFs are bad aeroplanes because they are not, which is why so many have been sold. I think they are the best ARTF sport aeroplanes available and it is great that this series of aeroplanes has been given a new lease of life in the modern day market. If I see someone with an ARTF Acro Wot or whatever I don't dislike them for not buying the kit, I think good choice, and I don't encourage anyone to not buy an ARTF.

The kits are more expensive when finished, requires much more time and effort to build (and a workbench), they do not have the improvements ripmax say the ARTFs have, so they will never be more popular than the ARTFs. But from my experience they are better. On a personal note I enjoy the building too. I don't want to lose them since my interest in the ARTFs has been lost, despite the bigger Wots wot being right up my street. My Dad has a builders kit for a Wots wot so I would just draw a plan and enlarge now, a lot of effort but for me, worth it.

I'd like to see a small update on the kits, even if it is just some new artwork on the website and boxes, since they have been unchanged for so long. The dream scenario is for the kits to be renovated with some improvements but that looks unlikely. Hopefully they will stay in production. They have lasted incredibly well in the last 10 years or so, but for how much longer I do wonder.

CS

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 14/02/2015 10:45:47

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted by ChrisB on 11/09/2015 23:19:37:

are the tail end servos standard fit, or modded?

Cheers

Chris, the kit uses a dowel pushrod from a servo mounted above the wing. Not my favourite way of doing things but it's proven ok so far. If I could be bothered I'd do as Paul has and move the elevator servos under the tail, but only because I'm using such a heavy engine.

Acro XL.jpg

Well it does just fly. On the first flight, straight after take off I went into a series of rolls and did a stall turn before it did a first circuit. Needed no trim and felt ok, from the go.

I far prefer twin elevator servos, 2 x Hitec HS5665 Digital servos, each of 8kg each and giving redundancy on this critical area. Also I hated the sill push rod idea, more slop, hard to get each elevator giving the same throw.

• 10 months later...

Hi All, just a quick question regarding the AW XL, in the instruction booklet its says to centralise the fuel tank with a 'spacer' in the firewall. Now i'm sure if I should have had one with the kit. Anybody come across this and what method did you guys use. Thanks.

• 6 months later...