Futaba / FrSky Compatibility

Tom Flynn 1

Hi everyone

i keep reading that the Frsky is compatible with Futaba, what I,m looking for is some to tell me that is so. I read so many articles on the subject, but to be honest I never believe most of them.

i have 7c transmitter and using r617fs RX. So help needed as I,m like most and looking for a cheaper receiver.

thanks

Tom

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

Finished binding and setting up the controls on a new flying wing with motor.All seemed ok, and just waiting for some calmer drier weather for the maiden.

Today looked good for a flight. quick bench check OOOHHHH heck!!! Doesn't seem to be binding, just odd little hicups, and twitches.

I unplugged the lipo then reconnected and then the motor did it's LIPO count. but still just occasional twitching and motor run intermittent. Lipo is 3S and 97% charge.

Quick question

Can freezing 0 degrees affect the Futaba T6J, or the FrSky Delta 8 RX.???

I've been flying with this combination on other gliders without any problem

Go With the Flow

Bruce

How close did you have the transmitter to the receiver when you have the problem? I recently had a similar problem when setting a model up on the bench and it was due to the tx being too near to the receiver when first powered up, moved them at least a metre apart and instantly bound.

Tom, I'm not sure if its 100% clear from the above posts, Frsky use a variety of protocols in their receiver range.

Their own proprietary one is called ACCST but they also do Futaba FASST and Futaba FHSS receivers.
When you buy a Frsky receiver to be used with a Futaba transmitter, its essential that it matches the transmitter protocol ie FASST or FHSS. The Frsky ACCST receivers wont work with either Futaba protocols.

It can be very confusing if you're not familiar with Frsky!

------

Bruce, do you really mean it wouldnt bind, or it wouldnt establish the link?  were you actually trying to bind it again?  Binding should only need to be done once, unless you're setting failsafe on a Specky

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 16/01/2016 17:53:31

Posted by Phil Green on 16/01/2016 17:37:01:

Their own proprietary one is called ACCST but they also do Futaba FASST and Futaba FHSS receivers.
When you buy a Frsky receiver to be used with a Futaba transmitter, its essential that it matches the transmitter protocol ie FASST or FHSS. The Frsky ACCST receivers wont work with either Futaba protocols.

It can be very confusing if you're not familiar with Frsky!

Mmmm? I think that would be a fairer statement if it read:

"It can be very confusing if you're not familiar with Futaba"!

BEB

Agreed, it is Futaba that have caused this with their love of protocol soup, not FrSky!

Back to the problem at hand... I suggest you read the instructions for the Delta 8 carefully. Have you tried a manual bind by jumpering pins 7 and 8?

Edited By MattyB on 16/01/2016 19:57:59

Edited By MattyB on 16/01/2016 19:59:37

Posted by MattyB on 16/01/2016 19:53:42:

Agreed, it is Futaba that have caused this with their love of protocol soup, not FrSky!

Frsky:
ACCST/V8, ACCST/D8v1, ACCSTD8v2, ACCST/D16, ACCST/LR, Futaba FASST, Futaba FHSS, Hitec AFHSS

Futaba:
FASST, FASSTEST, FHSS, S-FHSS

Frsky take it by 8:4    

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 16/01/2016 22:45:51

Hi Phil.

I couldn't establish the link.

BUT ALL IS NOW WELL!

Cause??? Maybe I just didn't bind it properly before!!!!

I just went back to the basic binding sequence using the little jumper supplied with the Delta 8.

That worked

Then I set up the fail safe. That all seems fine now on the bench. I didn't venture out in the near freezing this afternoon.

I'll do another bench test in the morning, and also a range check.

Thanks guys.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/01/2016 21:45:59:

Yes but most of those ACCST protocols are updates and run on one Tx, surely! Where as the Futaba are independent protocols.

ACCST is just a name. The Frsky protocols are all different & mutually incompatible.
Only one was issued as an update, D8v1 to v2 but it is a different protocol, v1 & v2 are not inter-operable.
None of the others are updates, they're independent protocols.

Oh and Corona have five protocols, more than Futaba.
Not that any of this matters, just making the point that Futaba aren't the only ones

Cheers
Phil

Bruce here again

Turns out that my Delta 8 binding problem returned.

Fortunately I did my usual bench test before going to the field.

I purchased two new Delta 8 Frsky (same ones because I reckon they do well, on my other models.)

Plugged new one in on the bench and binding no problem. Now fitted to the plane, and seems fine. Antenna 90 degrees and in the same location and orientation, so it seems the old RX developed a problem.

MORAL of the story: always do a bench check before venturing out!!!

Go With the Flow

Bruce