Another Tornado GR1

Steve McLaren

That's a very good question Phil! I have done some trials with solar film direct on to depron and although it sticks OK it produces a textured surface with a lot of little holes. I'm going to try a light skim of filler to see if that improves things. Will let you know. . not started on the real covering yet. Had to go away on business.

Advert

Ah yes foam armour - it is actually water based resin which I have got a bottle of. On my second actually. I was told you could save money by using varnish but it is not the same. I use it for coating light glass fibre. I am going to coat the tailplane in .25gram cloth and the water based resing which is brilliant stuff as indeed is anything Deluxe do. I am sure that it weighs less than epoxy resin, and dries in 20mins!

Thanks for the tip Phil. I will order some for future use, but there's no way it's going to be here in time to help with this one!

I tried the skim of lightweight filler today and it does seem to improve the finish. I also tried just putting a 2nd layer of film over the first and that helps too. So I'm going to go with these options.

I did the tailplanes, fin and ailerons today. The fuselage and wing have to happen tomorrow.

Some nice looking aircraft there gents.

I had a good fly this afternoon to make sure the lift was all ok for you had a few flights with the Pike in gorgeous weather, and a couple with the JP too. Met up with Tim and Mark, so now the scene is all set for the morning!

See you guys soon!

This promises to be a weekend of good looking models, and a fantastic squadron of Tornados. I hope you've all practised your formation flying for the cameras?

Steve, I love your finished model. Congratulations on another fine result, to sit proudly alongside the Gnat and JP.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 10/04/2015 23:22:30

• 1 year later...