bt dh mosquito

Advert

I'm in Wigton, so have kirkbride and Silloth airfields close by, the club club I'm in flies from kirkbride. The area was used as a training area for coastal command - it's a sobering thought when you realise why the solway bay in this area was known locally as 'Hudson bay'. Leccyflyer you've just named the next project on my list....

Well it's been daddy day care for a few days so not much going on with the build.

After a time the Germans realised how much of a threat to their shipping the strike wings were. Instead of sailing in convoys during the day they took to sailing early in the morning and anchoring up in fjords before the strike wings could get across.

The solution came up with was to send out a vickers Warwick to drop flares off of the norwegian coast for the strike wing to form up over before dawn - then they'd be in position before the enemy were anchored up. The Warwick then covered the withdrawal of the strike aircraft and would be air sea rescue for any downed aircrew. Flying these slow aircraft so close to enemy territory wasn't exactly safe and the crews had to be on the lookout for enemy fighters. Even a mosquito flying on one engine would still outpace the Warwick! dsc_0244.jpg

Hi Well, a couple of hours work - my first try at silver soldering hasn't gone too badly. The biggest issue is jigging everything up properly. One side of the retracts now looking more like it might actually work! I couldn't resist temptation and found a spare wheel - just to play around with!

Ive got to admit, having never done this sort of thing before - I'm feeling rather pleased with it so far! laughdsc_0244.jpgdsc_0243.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Brian, I'm having to take my time and stop myself from rushing it otherwise I'd mess it up. As it is, I must've snapped about 8 carbide drillbits using a hand drill until the Mrs agreed it would be a good idea to get a benchdrill - for the other side I should get nice accurate holes drilled without snapping anything! ​​ after a slight miscalculation in ordering materials via fleabay I've got enough to make about a dozen more downlocks, I'm not sick of filing metal (yet) so could be open to doing some more in future - can't get enough mossies now can we!!!

Not much progress today. One step forward, one back some days! On the plus side ive soldered the spacers in place - holding the structure rigid and it all still seems to fold up nicely. The oleos are mounted by grub screws and piano wire onto an aluminium pivot point - I've given up trying to make this pivot point tonight as I've managed to snap both of my engineering taps trying to thread one of the holes that one of the securing grub screws goes in... The last one I was skillfully able to get stuck tight in the hole and can't get out without destroying the whole piece, oh well we only learn by our mistakes I suppose suppose!! I've still got enough to get on with whilst some new taps are on order so I can make some changes to what I was going to do.

Such is life, things never go entirely smoothly.

I was intending to drill the top of the strut and use that as the pivot point rather than adding an extra piece to fit onto the mounting bracket.

I have made aluminium triangular mounting brackets (pretty much as per plan) and am going to use a 3mm rod through the top of the struts with a pair of the brackets in between.

That is the plan anyway, time will tell if it is OK or not

dsc_0248.jpgYdsc_0245.jpges, I'd probably have gone that route as well to keep things less complicated - the only problem was that the oleos I could get hold of weren't long enough. I wanted to keep the dimensions the same as the plan to make sure the geometry was the same. If it works for BT it should hopefully work for me!

Just a couple of photos of the setup so far - now that the spacers are in place that spare wheel I put in looks somewhat daft but it'll motivate me to keep going!!

Sorry if all the photos are a bit'samey' at the moment, and must remember to orientate them properly in future before posting!!

dsc_0246.jpg

Talk about timing, Tony Nijhuis has just announced the rcm&e autumn special - a 72inch wingspan dh mosquito! Am sure he'll supply retracts for it... And it'll have a recommended electric setup as well. Somehow I think the mosquito will be a much more common sight in a few months!

I've had another look at the plans today - it seems that the spacers that I put in as straight pieces should actually be X shaped... Can't have been concentrating last night when I did them as it's obvious on the plans! It's just a case of re heating the metal and pulling them out, then making up another set that are the right shape but shows what happens when you rush these things!! Before I do this though I'm going to get all the parts for the other side ready... Got to keep smiling!!

The other set of oleos arrived from HK. Unfortunately they didn't match the first set - my fault though as I then realised I hadn't ordered the first set from them... A bit of a blessing though as they're narrower than the first set so will allow me to make the fairings over them more to scale. It had been getting to me that the model would end up with fat legs and wouldn't look right. If I can't make the fairings to look right I'll go back to the original oleos and leave them off.

After about three hours work I've got one of the new oleos with a cover on it to look more scale-like like. Overall I'm quite happy with it although it's taken some time to get it on. Only three more to do so hopefully I'll get a little bit quicker as I get them done... dsc_0255.jpg

Tonight I've been adding some of the scale details on, and the cross braces between the oleos. Also I've made the balcony balsa bases of the legs... I've run out of silver solder now though and still waiting for the other set of oleos to arrive from HK so a short break for a few days...