bt dh mosquito

Advert

Chris -the easiest way to insert pictures here is to put them in an album on this site and then use the little camera icon at the top of each post to put them into your posts. It;s very easy, once you've done it and the uploads are fast. However, compared to a lot of sites it's a different way of doing things.

If you already have the pictures hosted elsewhere that, to me, is less straightforward, but you use the icon next to the camera on the top line of the posting box and paste in the URL for the photo stored offsite.

dsc_0232.jpgright, I'm concentrating at the moment on making the retracts. Unitracts will make a set up for me if needed - but would like to see if I can make anything worthwhile first. I've not got any 'proper' machining tools so it'll me made with a dremel(ish) some hand files and a hacksaw. So far progress has been sloooow, but enjoyable. First photos show the downlocks made up, and the idea of substituting some sprung oleos for the piano wire shown in the plan. dsc_0231.jpg

Well I've spent the last hour cutting the other 2 down locks out and starting to shape them... Now I've done the first two the others seem a little easier :-D. The idea at the moment is to fly it on glow engines as per the plan, but can anyone suggest an electric setup as an alternative??

• 2 weeks later...
There's no guarantees it'll work chris - but I'm enjoying messing around with it. Whoever decided to call it 'mild steel' was obviously a comedian!!! The oleos are a little bit wider than I'd hoped for to be 100% scale, the plan is to make up some litho plate fairings to match the outline of the real thing. I keep going back and filing parts down to get them accurate - it's a bit like picking a scab!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this week I've mostly been getting the second side of the mechanism to the same stage as the first. It's just about done now, and my new grinding disks have finally arrived (I didn't read the small print that said they were actually shipped from China...) so I'll be able to get started on the other side soon. First things first though - getting the first side working!!

The plan is to have the actuating arm in the middle of the rear axle that joins the 2 sides of the retract. If it doesn't go as planned, I'll follow the plan and have it attached to one of the downlocks.

Although it's a long, long way in the future I'm starting to plan a colour scheme scheme... I've narrowed it down to one of two optoptions, either Bannf wing anti shipping scheme, or one of the 140 wing schemes (operation jericho or operation carthage).

Still, there'll be a lot of time to change my mind!!

Think I've decided on going for a strike wing scheme on the finished mode. They tended to use rockets rather than bombs mbs, but I might use some artistic licence as I like the idea of having droppable ordanance.. I'll add snippets of info from the books on the previous post to try and keep interest in the blog up, (even if it's just mine!!) when there's not much building going on.

Chris

Those are all excellent books and a Banff Strike Wing Mosquito is very much the choice that I've made too.

Have you seen the DVD produced by the Banff Strike Wing Association? It contains the full length film "The Shipbusters", together with some shorter documentaries chronicling the history of Boynsie Aerodrome, RAF Banff and the very busy time that the strike wing spent there at the end of the war. That famous Taxi Rank picture says it all about the station and the documentaries are very good viewing.

Banff STrike Wing Memorial -Boynsie aerodrome

Not seen that dvd leccyflyer, think I've seen snippets of the film on other dvds though. I would like to take a trip up north one day to make a visit to the old airfield - living in cumbria it's not too far away! It's amazing when you look into it just how much was flying in that area at the time. Mosquitos, beaufighters, mustangs, warwicks, hudsons hudsons. If the mosquito works for me I've got at least my next 2 projects lined up!! dsc_0236.jpg

Yes, I've visited several of the local airfields here over the years. It's the fly-in at RAF Dallachy today and I really wanted to go, but , though it's bright and sunny now, the forecast from 10am onwards is not great. I did fulfill one half of a long held ambition by flying there last year, but not yet with a Beaufighter. There's something very special about flying from the peri track of a Strike Wing airfield.

One of my clubmates is also partway through the build of a BT Mosquito, so I have pointed him to this thread.