bt dh mosquito

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

dsc_0750.jpgWell I've had another look at the retracts for this - on the plan they're powered via bellcranks by a single retract servo in the centre of the wing. Bryan taylor mentions that under any 'g' the wheels tend to pop out! After a lot of messing with my setup I don't think there's enough power in it to operate them properly angry.. I'm now thinking of using a retract servo for each wing - mounted in the area behind the fuel tank, anyone any ideas on this?

Anyway - got the second retract at the same stage as the first, now just need a wing to fitthem in!

dsc_0751.jpg

dsc_0753.jpgMore progress today on the retracts, down locks sprayed grey primer and mud guards added to both. Got to admit I'm feeling pleased with it! Next thing to add will be the retract door guards that stand out on the front of the mosquito undercarriage, once they're sorted I'll be finished with this stage until I'm ready to fit them in the wings. laughdsc_0752.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything on this, hope people are finding it interesting! Second fuselage half is now planked fully - have a few internal fittings to put in then it's ready to be joined to the first (a bit like an airfix kit). Have got to admit though that I've started toying with starting a tony nijhuis beaufighter, I'm not looking forward to the flaps on the BT Mosquito (the beau has much simpler flaps to build!) and I'd want in cowl silencers for the mossie which will be something else to build myself - not sure if that's within my skill set!

Either way it looks like I'm building my own strike wing!!

When work/home life allows I've been making up the tailplane saddles and the mounting blocks for the rear wing bolts. The saddles aren't fixed in place yet as I want to leave room for adjustment once the fuselage halves are glued together. Couldn't resist temporarily putting them together though - my excuse was to check alignment/incidence of the tailplane! Not sure whether I've built a mosquito or a dolphin though! dsc_0862.jpg

I'm sure the Biggin Hill lot are advertising flights in the mossie for the future Colin so there may be opportunity there as well, although they seem to have gone very quiet on specifics like which aircraft it would be or who the owner is!

I think I've become obsessed with the mosquito - but that's not a bad thing, is it??

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Colin Carpenter on 17/08/2016 20:39:03:

Chris. I had the rare privilege of sitting in W4050 at the Mossie Museum 30 years ago. Alan Copas let me climb in ! DH fitter on the prototype. DH still my favourite manufacturer !!! Fingers xd ! Colin

I quite like DH aeroplanes, too , but I prefer the ones with 2 wings rather than 2 engines

Back in the late 1950s I used to cycle past the factory several evenings per week on my way to Hatfield Tech for night school classes from my digs in Welwyn Garden City. The A1 in the evening was almost as quiet as a country lane and it was single carriageway. In my ignorance I always wondered why the model displayed on a plinth outside the Comet pub wasn't of a jet airliner

Geoff

Posted by chris meek 1 on 27/08/2016 19:11:07:

**LINK**

Lovely video on YouTube of full size landing - shows how flat the turn from base leg to finals should be. Will have to be aware of tip stalls with this I think! Love the exhaust crackles on it.

Chris

Not sure how much you can deduce from that clip. Whatever the bank angle it should be a balanced turn at an appropriate airspeed (I know BEB, AoA) and the bank angle should reflect the desired turn radius.

Fin has been sanded to shape. The rudder on this is a single sheet of balsa with ribs either side of it, then is covered. The elevators look like they're made of solid sheet balsa, I'm wondering about trying to make them the same way as the rudder though to save some weight at the back. Every major part I finish I'm taping together to see how it's coming together and to keep my enthusiasm going! dsc_0878.jpg

Rudder is now finished and ready for covering before fitting to the fin. There's no mention on the plans of needing the lightening holes in the rudder but any weight loss at the rear will help I think! Hasn't reduced rigidity of the rudder either. I'm thinking I'll follow the same route for the elevators rather than carve them out of solid balsa. Finally there's the usual shot of everything taped together - looking more and more like a mossie. Also I've been fitting the control snakes for the rudder, elevators and steerable tail wheel - I had thought about trying to make it retractable but space at the back end is limited. Next step is to fit the hardwood mounting rails for the servo plate then join the fuselage halves together. Might make up the elevators first - or do them whilst the fuselage sets, still plenty to keep me going though...

dsc_0896.jpgdsc_0897.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dsc_0891.jpgAfter a couple of attempts I decided to just follow the plan for the elevators and carve them from balsa - masses of balsa dust later and 2 solid elevators were the result! Then moved on to the nose, I copied the outline for the horizontal and vertical axis onto some thin ply and then built up several layers of balsa sheet round them to sand down. Vertical fin now glued in place, next job is to cut out the cockpit area then glass the fuselage. Cutting the fuselage for the cockpit weakens the fuselage so the cockpit inside back to the wing saddle needs glassed to strengthen it. dsc_0892.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dsc_0895.jpgRudder and elevators covered - I'm using brown paper for them but still to decide whether to go the same route for the fuselage and wings or glass them. Impressed how the paper works though and it's cheap!! Once they've dried out for 12 hours they'll get covered in thinned non shrinking dope to give them a tough layer before they're lightly sanded ready for painting.

dsc_0896.jpg